German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old is in heat. We are confining her but I'm not sure how to deal with the discharge. Is there any product etc to help with the hygienic issues associated with a bitch in heat?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You can buy special panties for her at most pet stores.

An alternative is to find a pair of men's underwear, (boxers work best) line them with a menstrual pad, and stick her tail out through the flap.

I haven't found a method that works for all dogs. My first in-season female was the easiest: I had an elastic belt with a pad holder (can't find these anymore!) and she could push the pad aside to clean herself.

Any time I've tried something else, the female has just ripped it off, or torn it up... :(

Disposable diapers can work, too. Just cut a hole for the tail.

I probably don't need to warn you about keeping your dog safe from amorous males, but if this is your first intact female, be warned: male dogs will go to incredible lengths to get to an in-season female. They will dig under/jump over just about any fence. There have been litters conceived THROUGH fences (chain link) as painful as that may sound. I know of one case where a male pitty chewed his way out of his crate, and managed to break through two doors to get to the female. A friend of mine put her female in the garage, and the male totally destroyed the knob of the door from the house to the garage. Thank God he didn't have opposable thumbs!!

Do NOT leave her outside unattended, or walk her off leash. When you do go for walks, it's a good idea to drive some distance away from home so as not to leave a scent trail males can follow.

She will not be receptive to males until the middle part of her heat, when she ovulates. That happens usually about day 12-14. At this time the discharge becomes less bloody and more straw-coloured, causing inexperienced owners to sometimes think, oh, she's finished her heat, I don't need to worry about her getting pregnant. Nope - just the opposite!

I have heard of puppies being conceived as late as day 18. The average season lasts about 20 days, though I have had it go on as long as 30 with one of my females.

Whatever you put on her to contain the discharge will need to be changed frequently. The odour of the secretions will make the female want to clean herself, and she will likely rip the panty off/tear it. So, buy a couple of pairs!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just use adorably decorated dog diapers for my girl. She sports flamingos and polka dots when she’s in season. We put a pad in and change it every time she goes out to potty, and depending on how much she’s bleeding, we take it off at night.

We found the disposables from Petsmart, despite being XL, didn’t fit her.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I have not ever had luck with doggie diapers, but most of my bitches have been really clean. I use old towels to protect any rugs and keep the floor mop handy.
Since no one else mentioned it, I have had bitches that were every bit as determined and inventive as the boys so diligence is really important.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I have not ever had luck with doggie diapers, but most of my bitches have been really clean. I use old towels to protect any rugs and keep the floor mop handy.

Scarlet just went through a heat, ending last week. I do the same. Keep her off the furniture, have the mop handy. This is her third heat, and she’s really not messy.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I let her be. We just roll up the rugs for three weeks and mop after her (hardwood floors) I prefer that she can keep herself clean if she needs to. That is not possible when she wears the panties. Before visitors come I mop and kennel her. I actually appreciate that time when we are basically stuck at home and work with her there.

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I’m fortunate to be able to take Scarlet to work with me, so when she’s in heat, she goes with me (I’m a groomer). She goes into a Great Dane sized crate, with her crate mat and water bucket, and generally naps the day away. Easy peasy :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Since no one else mentioned it, I have had bitches that were every bit as determined and inventive as the boys so diligence is really important.
Yup. :grin2: My older female is the result of her mom escaping from her kennel and climbing an 8 foot fence to get herself in with the stud! :surprise:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts