German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Angus (19 mo old) is a great dog and we have been taking him on car rides since he was just a little pup at least a few times a week when he was really little he would get car sick but grew out of that. He never was particularly fond of getting in the car so I would pick him up nicely and then he would lay down without incident. We go to the dog park, walking trails, his doggy daycare among other spots and he is always happy when we get to these places however, lately he is fighting to not get in the car. Angus is like a 2 year old kid just lying there limp and on occasion he will fight to get out of the car. My wife is at her wits end because lately he wont even come near us at the dog park if he knows it is time to leave. I am convinced it is just he hates the car and I have no idea what would have made him go from indifferent to hating car rides so just looking for any advice to make it easy on him. A regular at the dog park had mentioned "thunder shirts" which I am all for if it works but just looking for more input on the matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would associate the car with something positive, like when is standing near the car he gets a piece of chicken or whatever high rewards he likes. Then slowly progress to having him in the car not drive anywhere and praise him, unless he is completey freaked out. That could make it worse. For the dog park, practice just calling him over at random times, petting him, grabbing his collar, and even putting his leash on. Then after a few moments letting him go. This way he will know that not every time I get called over the fun ends and its time to go home. Just make sure that when you called him over and before you let him go he is calmed and relaxed. This way he doesn't learn that if he fights you when grabbing him, he will be rewarded with more play. Kinda like if a child learns if they scream and cry long enough while grocery shopping mom will eventually give in and buy a candy bar for me, just to keep me quite. And that's not good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts