German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 16 week old pup that started at 10 weeks with some diarrhea and soft stools. We tried metro and that didn’t work, tried panacur, that didn’t work. Finally got him tested to find he has cryptosporidium. He has been put on tylosin powder 1/8 tsp twice a day. For the first week we immediately noticed it was helping. 80 percent formed stools, and then a stool or two that was softer and sloppy. Week two was even better. Just about every stool was perfect. This week, week 3, we are back to more sloppy stools again. He is rapidly gaining weight, but he is still only at 33 lbs so not at a point where we need to change the dose. But I am wondering why it’s not working anymore. He is on a digestive care food, and gets pumpkin as well as slippery elm and a good probiotic. I feel like we have done everything we can...and frustrated that the meds have kind of pooped out on us-no pun intended.

Should we add a 3rd dose mid day? Or increase it to 1/4 tsp twice a day?

Just ready to not have to worry about mushy poop anymore!

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've got no solution for you...I'm not a vet. I just wanted to voice my support for ya. I'm sorry you have to go through this stress. I had to deal with the soft/mushy/diarrhea poop for years when I was trying to find the right dosage of pancreas powder for my dog with EPI. Too much powder and diarrhea and vomiting. Too little and diarrhea. I had countless nights of taking my dog out 2, 3, 4, and 5 times a night for diarrhea. I was exhausted, not to mention what my poor pooch was going through. This went on for years. When I finally got it right, it was such a relief and I could finally truly enjoy having a dog. Then the last 2-3 months of his life I had to deal with the fecal incontinence and vomiting from him fighting liver cancer. When you have to deal with your dog's irregular poop for long periods of time, it is so stressful and exhausting. The cleaning up is the hardest part, especially when it's soft. Anyway good luck in finding the cure and I wish you well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts