German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've been crate training since day 1. My wife and I both work during the day, but I've had two friends helping us out during the day, but chaucey will have an accident between 7am and 11am. Here's the schedule:

No food or water past 8pm.
Goes to bed in crate at about 930-10pm.
Wakes us up at about 630-7am to get up and potty (doesn't potty in crate at night).
We leave for work at about 7am.
My mom and nephew come at 11am to let out and play, but my mom normally comes into a crate with poop in it, sometimes she's ate it by that point sometimes not. They leave around 12-1230.
Wfies mom and sister come at 2 to let her out and play for a bit.
We get home about 430-515.

So somehow she manages to poo in the morning before my mom gets home, but doesn't ever poo or pee during the night when she's sleeping. We're scared to leave the house more than 4 hours because when we do she poops. Should this still be happening at 15 weeks? We've been crate training since day 1 and it's been working, except weRe still having this problem. Not sure what else to do as its been a consistent thing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Does she eat and get water in the AM?

Are you going out with her to make sure she goes to the bathroom?

How much movement and exercise is she getting in the morning?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I would probably bite the bullet and get her up around 5am and play with her until you leave for work (a short walk, training, play time, etc) and hopefully by doing that she will poop before you leave. She probably isn't getting enough time in the morning for her to have to go (but she probably has to go fairly early and therefore has resorted to going in the crate because she can't hold it anymore). I have a 16 week old, and she last eats at 7pm, we go to bed around 10pm - but she gets up at 5am (5:30 if we are lucky). She always goes to the bathroom in the morning after she eats and plays/we do training for a bit. We usually don't walk the dogs til about 7am and she has most often pooped before that, and if not, it is right after we start our walk.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I left that part out- she does pee and poo quite a bit before we leave so I thought she was ok? I play with her during that morning before she potties as well.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does she eat and get water in the AM?

Are you going out with her to make sure she goes to the bathroom?

How much movement and exercise is she getting in the morning?
Yes I go out there with her every time, she pees and poops plenty before its time for us to go to work

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I think I would still try to get her up earlier and do more morning play and training. You mentioned that she gets up at 6:30-7 and then you leave at 7 for work. That just doesn't leave a lot of time for play/exercise/training.

I would also, on the weekend, try to figure out what time she is pooping in the crate and figure out a way either to change her schedule or change up the times people take her out.

I think, in general, more than 4 hours alone at this point is a bit much.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
That was a good suggestion, could your mom and nephew come an hour earlier and see if it makes a difference?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
why dont you just wait until your mom comes over to feed her the first meal of the day? at least until she can hold it a little bit longer. also what are you feeding her? if its bad quality food it'll go right through her and she'll need to poop more often. i feed raw and feed my 12 wk pup at 11am and sometimes he doesnt poop until 6-7 pm. he still pees every 1-2 hours though

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My dog usually poops twice within a half hour in the morning. And puppies automatically poop about a half hour after eating.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
adjust schedules. ask your mother to come over earlier. ask your
wife's sister to come over at a different (not with mom). let the
pup out overnight (a couple of times if needed).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update- we didn't feed in the morning and waited for my mom to get there to feed her, but there was pee and poo in the crate. Is my pup just taking longer to get this down?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Do you clean with an enzyme cleaner?

Did you try to recreate your weekday schedule you have him on during the weekend to see what time he is pooping in the morning before your mom gets there? Have you tried getting your pup up earlier and doing more play/training/exercise in hopes of getting him to poop a second time before you leave for work? Is the crate too big for him(maybe you need a smaller one for now)?

·
Registered
218 Posts
My thoughts:
1. Make sure crate is just large enough to stand up, and turn around.
2. Get up an hour earlier- potty( make sure she urinates and defecates), play, eat, rest for hopefully 45 minutes or so before leaving.
3. Potty right before leaving for the day.
What food are you feeding and how much at a time?
Must make sure she is pottying in the morning, don't just let her out and assume she goes!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you have to train the pup in order for her "to get this down".
as your mom to visit earlier. ask your nephew to visit later.
ask your wife's mom to visit after your nephew. ask your
sister to visit after your nephew. break it up. don't have 2
people visit at the same time.

Update- we didn't feed in the morning and waited for my mom to get there to feed her, but there was pee and poo in the crate.

>>>>> Is my pup just taking longer to get this down?<<<<<

1 - 14 of 14 Posts