German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend, I realized we may have a slight issue going on with Angel (15 wk GSD) and Emmett (2 yr old GSD/Australian shepherd mix with floppy ears). Angel now weighs about 32 pounds and Emmett is at a chubby 45. (he could stand to lose a few pounds). They have been best of friends since we brought Angel home back the end of June. They play constantly outside and inside.

Angel is a complete land shark when it comes to Emmett though. If he is being petted by anyone, she will come bounding over and grab him right behind his ear and drag him to the ground. This weekend, she wouldn't let go and poor Emmett's ear is badly bruised. Not the ear leather itself, but like near his middle ear. Its tender and he is def favoring that side of his head. She also does this biting/attacking to his front legs at times too. He doesn't yell out or anything and doesn't snap at her when she hurts him. I try to break it up verbally and have them both calm down and redirect Angel but when I'm not in the room or outside with them, Angel still does it. She will do this to Emmett even if no one is paying him any attention. He can be sitting and watching things and she will attack him. It always turns into play for a good 20-30 minutes though.

Should he be correcting her?

It wont be long before she outweighs him and she can already bring him down very quickly. They have had a couple of play sessions that turned into the start of a fight but i broke those up and gave everyone a timeout. All was fine after those.

Any suggestions on anything I should do (other than redirect her biting - not the easiest thing to do as she is pretty quick about it)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
YES you should be correcting her. Clearly he isn't. There is a line. Your puppy has learned that she controls the situation. Verbally correcting isn't going to do anything if you don't physically correct her as well. Pull her off him when she starts getting too rough. Separate them when you cant immediately supervise. I have to do this with my dogs because my female will not correct my 5 month old male in anything unless I have them out of the house together. Correct her. Otherwise she could seriously injure your other dog when she's done growing. She needs to learn now, immediately, what appropriate play is and what will not be allowed. Muscling in because he's getting attention is unacceptable behavior. YOU control who gets attention, when and how much. Not her.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response!. I thought I needed to step in. We are starting structured classes this wednesday and my copy of Control Unleashed is being delivered today. Ive never had issues in the past with our GSDs being as controlling as Angel is. I will start working on this issue tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My advice would be to step up the training and do lots of activities and training with your pup, one one one. Let your other dog have a rest from the puppy and I would separate the two of them unless you are there to superivise, redirect and correct when needed. Your other dog might really enjoy playing with the puppy AFTER you have been training and exercising her individually and she is somewhat more tired than currently.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I agree with Shannon as well. Definitely do one on one. I know my male at 5 months old is a little over half the size of my female now and he is far more stubborn about his behavior than any of my previous dogs have been. I've had to step up his exercise before I turn them loose together to play otherwise he gets kind of overwhelming for her and that's saying something because she'll play until she drops or she knows I'm serious about her settling down. have fun in class!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this problem pretty much resolved itself. Emmett finally had enough of Angel's torture and got her. She has been playing much nicer with him. We are working on NILIF with both dogs. Emmett is used to most of it since he has to sit & wait to eat and sit & wait to go outside and everything else. Angel is getting the hang of it. Thanks everyone for your advise & comments.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would still keep an eye on the situation. The pup will soon become an adolescent (a rather large one) and her behavior may be more unpredictable.
It is wise to teach her boundaries and that Emmet is not her toy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts