German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we are walking with Argos he barks like crazy in his deep bark when he sees other dogs his hair on his back goes up but when he gets closer his whole body wags and he is really excited wags tail and licks their face is there something I can do to get him to stop barking when he sees other dogs I think he is just excited because he wants to play as he does this in the parking lot of the dog park as well but im afraid he will bark at the "wrong dog" and they will bite him :( should I ignore him and maybe he will just grow out of it or should I correct him?

Another reason I think he may be doing it is possibly out of fear as we live with my mother in law and her little unholy terror of a dog he is a small dog with a big attitude and everytime Argos tries to go and say hi to him this dog snaps at Argos and makes him whine and pee Argos clearly just wants to play but all her dog does is just snap and growl at Argos I try to keep them separated as much as possible because I don't want Argos learning that little dogs bad behaviour.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Riley has a fear of other dogs. HE barks and growls when he sees them. I out him in a training class. There are 7 dogs total. He is getting much better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if it truly is fear why would he just go all crazy wanting to play and lick them once he is close enough? All it seems like is he really wants to play once he is inside the dog park he doesn't bark at new dogs coming in just when he is looking in from outside the fence. He is only 15 weeks so I am hoping it is just a stage and he will grow out of it.

Riley has a fear of other dogs. HE barks and growls when he sees them. I out him in a training class. There are 7 dogs total. He is getting much better.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I think its normal....Berlin was like that when he was younger too. He wasnt fearful, barking and whatever was how he expressed his excitement. I never corrected, but I did start distracting him if we werent going to stop at say hello to the dog. I also desensitized him to seeing other dogs - we are out and about all the time...He is now 10 months old and doesnt bark at other dogs.

I wouldnt correct though, you dont want him to think hes being corrected for seeing another dog, and then actually become fearful of other dogs due to pairing the dog with the negative.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks we are at the dog park at least 2 times a week and live in a very dog populated area so I really need him to be used to dogs I will just try to redirect him for now and see how that goes I only worry because it scares other people because he has such a deep scary bark lol

I think its normal....Berlin was like that when he was younger too. He wasnt fearful, barking and whatever was how he expressed his excitement. I never corrected, but I did start distracting him if we werent going to stop at say hello to the dog. I also desensitized him to seeing other dogs - we are out and about all the time...He is now 10 months old and doesnt bark at other dogs.

I wouldnt correct though, you dont want him to think hes being corrected for seeing another dog, and then actually become fearful of other dogs due to pairing the dog with the negative.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Some dogs get past this behavior quickly, some do not. Here is a pretty good video describing the "Look at That" game. LAT games can be very beneficial for reactive dogs, and work best (IMO) when starting early.
Remember that whatever your dog practices is what your dog gets better at. If practicing barking at others, he will get better at it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My pup is 18 weeks old... he has been doing the same behaviour towards other dogs since he was approx 14 weeks also. I try to correct it by giving him a wee yank on the collar and saying "enough!" in a firm voice as i too am also worried he is going to bark at the wrong dog one day.

He is getting far better as he has been attending puppy classes for the last 3 weeks... it was relieving to see that every other puppy in his class behaved the same way.

The trainer calls it the "flight or fight" stage of their life (normally hits between 13-16 weeks apparently) and its a time in their life where they either think they are tough or they are petrified of everything haha! They also have this stage again in their life a bit later on so she said! I would not stress about it, it sounds like it is completely normal for the age group but if your like me and you want to discourage it rather than ignore then i would do so in a way that works for you and the pup... like i said a simple good yank on my boys collar and a firm "enough!" works for us :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts