German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 week old girl that we have had for 5 weeks now. Our neighborhood is awesome theres a group of about 15 people that brings all their dogs out afterwork to run around, play, and socialize. Effi, our puppy, is great with all of the dogs out there big and small, agressive and submissive, male and female, as well as our cat. However there is one dog in our area that she always growls at and bears her teeth at for no reason. This dog is an 8 week old rottweiler puppy, who is very meek and submissive. We try introducing them from a distance on leash but nothing works, Effi still hates this dog. There was also one adult pitbull at the pet store that just walked by casually and she growled and snarled at that dog too? When 1 minute before and after she was friendly to other dogs. Whats the deal? I know not everyone will get along but she didnt like these two dogs for no reason at all immediately. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Evan

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I don't have a good answer for you sorry. My last male GSD did not like any pit bull. No matter how sweet they were. I chalked it up to the way they greeted him. Pits are gregarious upfront dogs. And usually came over with tail held high and a high head set. I believe Ike saw this as a dominant body set. But who knows.

As for Rotts. Their lack of tail can often not allow other dogs to read their body language correctly. So with a lack if tail and very meek personality, you pup may be sensing a weaker dog and reacting. But again, total guess.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lack of tail idea is interesting. It must be the combo of just laying there and not having a tail, because theres a 110 pound doberman with a docked tail that comes out and she gets along with, but runs and plays with all of the other dogs, so has definative body language to read. Hopefully as the rott puppy gets older and plays more Effi will begin to understand her and be friendly.

The pitbull didnt approach her or even look at her, maybe that was rude to her? I just get embarassed when she growls and goes crazy with other dogs because i try very hard to socialize her properly and make sure she has perfect manners before she gets big.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts