German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently welcomed a new GSD pup. He's 15 weeks, had him since 8 weeks and I just had some questions about his gait and possible issues. This is my first GSD so II'm not sure if this is part of how they grow up (he is a west german showline) or if there is a possible issues with his hips/legs. Attached are some videos from him at the dog park for the first time.. He has never in the near 2 months Ive had him shown signs or pain, neither while moving, running, getting up, its just that his movement looks awkward to me when he runs. Any feedback/opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It looks like just puppy awkwardness and being a show line dog just makes it a little more exaggerated. He looks fine. Cute pup

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
He looks fine to me as well, but why are you taking an awkward 15 week old puppy to a dog park?

IMHO that's a disaster waiting to happen. Not only has he not been fully vaccinated, but he's pretty likely to be either hurt or traumatized by another dog that may only be trying to play, if he doesn't catch a more serious life-threatening disease.

My advice would be to let him grow up and gain a little more size and coordination before considering taking him back there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He looks fine to me as well, but why are you taking an awkward 15 week old puppy to a dog park?

IMHO that's a disaster waiting to happen. Not only has he not been fully vaccinated, but he's pretty likely to be either hurt or traumatized by another dog that may only be trying to play, if he doesn't catch a more serious life-threatening disease.

My advice would be to let him grow up and gain a little more size and coordination before considering taking him back there!
You make a good point. He had just recently been giving his rabies vaccine and is just missing his last distemper. With how things have been lately its been hard on the socialization front so I may have been overeager to get him to the dog park. He did do great at the park and with all the other dogs, but your right, its pretty much an unnecessary risk at this point.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Agree with the other posters, looks like puppyness in action. If you're concerned however, get x-rays taken. Sometimes a little piece of mind is worth the cost.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You make a good point. He had just recently been giving his rabies vaccine and is just missing his last distemper. With how things have been lately its been hard on the socialization front so I may have been overeager to get him to the dog park. He did do great at the park and with all the other dogs, but your right, its pretty much an unnecessary risk at this point.
My vet recommends rabies shot at a later date than 15 weeks. There aren't often "this is the answer" answers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agree with the other posters, looks like puppyness in action. If you're concerned however, get x-rays taken. Sometimes a little piece of mind is worth the cost.
Oh for sure, I'm getting prelims done at 6 months no matter what.

My vet recommends rabies shot at a later date than 15 weeks. There aren't often "this is the answer" answers.
Yea I understand. I'm not looking for anyone to "diagnose" my pup through a few videos, I just figured since most people here have alot of experience raising GSD's, I could get some opinions on if anything looked out of the norm or something I should be worried about. Did your vet give you any reasoning on the rabies vaccine being better after 15 weeks?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh for sure, I'm getting prelims done at 6 months no matter what.

Yea I understand. I'm not looking for anyone to "diagnose" my pup through a few videos, I just figured since most people here have alot of experience raising GSD's, I could get some opinions on if anything looked out of the norm or something I should be worried about. Did your vet give you any reasoning on the rabies vaccine being better after 15 weeks?
No but he's due for his shots shortly so I'll try to remember to ask. She a bit of a granola/naturalist vet and doesn't push too many needles at all. Rabies every two years for instance where I think some do them yearly?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts