German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We just adopted a 15week old German Shepherd and he seems to always have rapud breathing and his tounge out. Is this normal? I have schedulef him a veterinarian appointment but they can't get him in until 4/13/20 and im a little concerned. Any info will help. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My guess is that he’s stressed out! It’s a lot for any dog to go to a new home with all new people (and maybe other pets), smells, sounds, pretty much everything is overwhelming for them. How long have you had him? Where did you adopt him from? Does he have any other symptoms like drinking a lot, not drinking enough, not eating, lethargy, etc.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.We have had him for 3 days now and he eats and drinks ok. He is taking healthy poops . He loves getting his belly rubbed . He does like to sleep a lot. We actually got him from a neighbor that lives across the street. Mom and Dad are both healthy German Shepherds and my little fella is a little chunkers but I just never experienced the rapid breathing with a dog before. He does this constantly. When he gets comfortable and starts to fall asleep it does sometimes seem to slow down after a while but as soon as you make a noise or something he is up and starts breathing rapidly again. Im praying that its nothing serious and that he just needs to adjust and get use to his new home here with us.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a 9 month old and she pants like that sometimes when she's winding down at the end of the day. German Shepherds are very active dogs and need to pant to cool themselves down. Heavy panting could also mean that he might be dehydrated. Make sure he's getting enough water. When my girl was a pup, she drank lots of water! A visit to the vet is wise.
Also, we would love to see pics of your chunkers. :giggle:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! We just adopted a 15week old German Shepherd and he seems to always have rapud breathing and his tounge out. Is this normal? I have schedulef him a veterinarian appointment but they can't get him in until 4/13/20 and im a little concerned. Any info will help. Thank you!

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I'd save my money on the vet if I was you. GSD puppies breath very heavy and rapidly. Both of my boys have done it. My oldest and first gsd actually had me worried like you because I thought something was wrong. After reading and talking and seeing other gsd pups the same age and also now with my new puppy who is 4.5 months, its very very normal.

If he has no energy or vomits or some other more serious symptoms then I'd go the the vet, but a fast breathing puppy is very normal

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
How hot is the climate where you are? Does he pant hard even not after exercising? Since he's new to the environment yeah it could be stress. But other than that, GSDs pant a while and a lot and after moving around or exercising. My dog would pant like crazy even after he has a short 'zoomie'. Or maybe he's just hot. If there's no vomiting or CONSTANT pacing around I wouldn't worry much. But trip to the vet if you can afford it does not hurt at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is it possible the dogs were littered/raised outdoors or in a cool basement and your house is much warmer? Shepherds prefer a cool house especially in the Spring before they shed. And healthier for all of you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts