German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im new to the circuit , i got my pup at 10 weeks with one testicle the vet said give it a few more months and the other should drop its was his 15 week 3rd shot check up and the his other testicle has yet to follow , my fellow gsd lovers based of ur own experience will the chance of the 2nd testicle drop soon should i wait till he is 20 weeks an hope it comes naturally . thnks i really hope in the future i can stud him he is handsome .

·
Registered
766 Posts
I never dealt with this personally because Gunther was neutered when we got him but he was 4 months old and the second testicle never dropped. They had to make an incision and remove it. Hopefully more people will chime in :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Welcome! Generally, if they haven't descended by 12 weeks it is uncommon for the retained testicle to make an appearance. If it has not descended by 6 months it is unlikely to ever drop. Nine months is the latest I have personally ever heard of a dog's missing testicle to drop down into the scrotal sac, and he was neutered as a result to avoid potentially passing down cryptorchidism to future generations.

There's nothing really to 'wait' for in the sense that there is no procedure to do to correct it other than to neuter the dog. Since he could not be used for breeding in that case once he is old enough to have benefited from his hormones it is highly recommended to get that ol' retained one removed with expedience to avoid any potential problems. In that case (and if you purchased the pup from a breeder as a breeding quality dog) negotiate a replacement puppy or his return. You can check him yourself; if his testicles are small having him in a standing position and applying light upward pressure gives you the best possible chance of finding both testicles should the second one descend. We often have folks at the office freaking out while checking their dog on their back; it's easy to loose a testicle that way!

Post some pictures of your handsome man! It will be quite a while before you'll have enough information to know whether or not he'll be stud-quality. Enjoy his youth and charm in the meantime and let us know how his testicle comes along. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Generally, if they haven't descended by 12 weeks it is uncommon for the retained testicle to make an appearance. If it has not descended by 6 months it is unlikely to ever drop. Nine months is the latest I have personally ever heard of a dog's missing testicle to drop down into the scrotal sac, and he was neutered as a result to avoid potentially passing down cryptorchidism to future generations.

There's nothing really to 'wait' for in the sense that there is no procedure to do to correct it other than to neuter the dog. Since he could not be used for breeding in that case once he is old enough to have benefited from his hormones it is highly recommended to get that ol' retained one removed with expedience to avoid any potential problems. In that case (and if you purchased the pup from a breeder as a breeding quality dog) negotiate a replacement puppy or his return. You can check him yourself; if his testicles are small having him in a standing position and applying light upward pressure gives you the best possible chance of finding both testicles should the second one descend. We often have folks at the office freaking out while checking their dog on their back; it's easy to loose a testicle that way!

Post some pictures of your handsome man! It will be quite a while before you'll have enough information to know whether or not he'll be stud-quality. Enjoy his youth and charm in the meantime and let us know how his testicle comes along. :)
Thank you all for the replies , its helps !!! Colombus Georgia i stayed there when i was in Ft Benning , i lived most of my time is Augusta Ga . 12 years Georgia Peach at heart .

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
If the hidden testicle doesn't drop, it will need to be removed surgically. If it isn't, there is a rather high risk of the retained testicle becoming cancerous. The sooner this is done, the better. Most people opt to have both testicles removed at the same time.

The thing is, cryptorchids (retained testicles) are hereditary, so if you were to "stud him out", his offspring would likely have retained testicles also, which makes an expensive and potentially risky problem for the pups and their new owners. You really don't want to pass that along, so breeding him isn't a good idea. A shame since he's so handsome, but you can imagine how a new puppy owner might feel if their pup has the same problem your boy does, and they find out that you knew about the problem and bred him anyway. It's not good for your reputation (or his). :) Where did you get this pup? Reputable breeders don't breed cyptorchids on purpose, but they do pop up from time to time, since the gene is recessive and can remain hidden for many generations.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
My friend sold a dog as a pet with a retained testical at 11 months. Later her neighbor who bought the dog was showing him in conformation. She asked about the testicle, and the lady said that it dropped on its own. So it is not impossible for one to come down later, just unlikely.

I read somewhere that there really isn't a higher risk of testicular cancer in a retained testicle, but if it does occur, it will not be found as quickly and the likelihood of the dog dying from testicular cancer is much higher because it will not be found in time. Evenso, you can certainly wait until the dog is fully mature to do the surgery if you want, recognizing that he is totally capable of siring a litter, so care must be taken that that does not happen.

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
I've heard they can still drop at that age.

I've heard it's advisable to wait until your dog has at least reached 2 years of age before having him altered, being careful while you wait for him to mature that accidents don't happen. The dog can still benefit from that testicle as he is growing and maturing. At the time the retained testicle is removed there is no need to remove the descended testicle unless that's what you wish to do. Sometimes it's just easier to guard against any "oops" litters. However, the descended testicle poses no additional risk to your dog.

I read somewhere that there really isn't a higher risk of testicular cancer in a retained testicle, but if it does occur, it will not be found as quickly and the likelihood of the dog dying from testicular cancer is much higher because it will not be found in time. Evenso, you can certainly wait until the dog is fully mature to do the surgery if you want, recognizing that he is totally capable of siring a litter, so care must be taken that that does not happen.
This is what I've read and heard also. I might have to see if I can find where I read that. Do you remember where you read it?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I am not an expert, but I am pretty sure there was nothing there at 12 weeks but a patch of fuzz.... lol later vet said only 1 was noticed and now at 7 month, well all is fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the hidden testicle doesn't drop, it will need to be removed surgically. If it isn't, there is a rather high risk of the retained testicle becoming cancerous. The sooner this is done, the better. Most people opt to have both testicles removed at the same time.

The thing is, cryptorchids (retained testicles) are hereditary, so if you were to "stud him out", his offspring would likely have retained testicles also, which makes an expensive and potentially risky problem for the pups and their new owners. You really don't want to pass that along, so breeding him isn't a good idea. A shame since he's so handsome, but you can imagine how a new puppy owner might feel if their pup has the same problem your boy does, and they find out that you knew about the problem and bred him anyway. It's not good for your reputation (or his). :) Where did you get this pup? Reputable breeders don't breed cyptorchids on purpose, but they do pop up from time to time, since the gene is recessive and can remain hidden for many generations.

Thanks to all . I got him from a friend who has was breeding gsd however i am a novice at this , and after readng gsd 101 and further looking into all areas i came across this situation , i was offered to xchange the puppy for another but i choose not too , i am already attached to him he a house dog ,potty trained and is going to obedience school August 17th fora 6 week course a good citizen course as well . i just gota camera and will post picures soon . i will just wait an see an let nature takes its toll .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts