German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup just turned 15 months old today. Yesterday she was diagnosed with acute renal failure after 3 visits to the vet over the past 2 weeks.

At first it was supposed to be an upset tummy and a cough, as she was vomiting some of her food. No diarrhea though. Then she looked ok for a few days, but still wasn't her regular self and was showing signs of pain but the second time I took her to the clinic her regular vet was out of town, and I was told she only had gas and was prescribed anti-gas and deworming medicine. Then 2 days later, during the Christmas weekend and especially on Sunday she appeared to have more pain so I took her to the vet again, luckily her regular vet was back.

The vet saw her tongue looked "burnt" and of course with severe abdominal pain. She had a regular blood test done and another one looking for any clue in case she had swallowed any household cleaning liquid or antifreeze (which I have none anywhere near the dogs, they're all in high places or inside cabinets).

"Regular" blood test showed all normal levels.

The other test showed BUN 130 mg/dL, CREA - 7.1 mg/dL.

They also did a urinary sample test, it showed UD of 1.004.
Also there was a presence of proteins, blood, crystals and scarce bacteria.
(I hope I got all the names right, I have it all in Spanish).

She has been hospitalized since yesterday noon, I went to check on her this morning and the vet says there has been no change.
She still seems to have abdominal pain, but she hasn't vomited or had diarrhea.
They're giving her fluids, antibiotic, analgesics, and something else I can't remember. It's all mind boggling.

They're going to x-ray her abdomen to look for something else they might be missing.

And in the meantime I'm sitting here praying everything gets better while waiting for them to call me with the x-ray results.

Please pray for my girl's recovery! She's just a baby! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
OMG....prayers heading your way. hang in there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,602 Posts
Oh no, I'm so sorry she's sick! Poor girl. I've read cases of small dogs suffering renal failure from eating chicken jerky treats made in China, but I imagine a large dog would have to eat a lot of it to become sick. Just a thought though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all!

LisaT, no recent vaccinations, and her WBC is 13.5 x 10 (9)/L, the range is 6.0 -16.9.
The GRANS is 11.2 x 10(9)/L, range 3.3 -12.0.
I think I'm going to scan the tests results in a bit.

Thank you, Stosh, it really is heartbreaking. :(
I don't give my dogs any treats other than either stringed cheese, pumpkin, cranberries/blueberries just recently, and the only dog treat they get are Sammy snacks, and even those just once in a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
I don't know if younger dogs tend to run a higher WBC, but that WBC might be a bit elevated - tough to way, since my dogs are always under about 8 as their normals. The Granulocytes are at the high end. I would say that this looks like there might be a bacterial infection in the body that the kidneys are trying to filter.

Are they treating with an antibiotic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,294 Posts
I still wonder if the drinking water may play a part in this. Do you give filtered water to your dogs?
Prayers for your pups recovery!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,649 Posts
This sounds like the renal failure is coming from an infection of some sort?

The abdominal pain is not usually present with renal failure (which, they say, is not painful) so something else is clearly going on.

Can they do an ultrasound? X-rays will be of limited value, I suspect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,301 Posts
Yeah, renal failure in people is basically tingly and maybe a little itchy, but not painful, according to nurses I know.

Acute renal failure - I don't think there would be a difference from the CRF as far as pain.

Fingers crossed for you and your dog.

A copy paste of some of the causes:

Some of the many causes of acute renal failure include the following:

  • Lack of proper blood flow to the kidneys
  • Buildup of unusual toxins that the kidneys cannot process
  • Damage to the bladder
  • Infection
  • Obstructions of the kidneys
http://www.vetinfo.com/prognosis-for-acute-renal-failure-in-dogs.html#ixzz19S3pRfC3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,289 Posts
So sorry that your baby is sick, I know you are beside yourself with worry. I will be saying a prayer and sending good thoughts your way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
801 Posts
DejaVu, I am so sorry to hear of what you are going through with your pup :( Ruth forwarded me your link (thanks Ruth). My Wolfie was diagnosed with Stage 3 CRF in Jan '09 -- hopefully some of my experiences can be of help to you. Have they identified the bacteria in the urine yet? In Wolfie's case, it was e-coli. But he didn't show any abdominal pain. He was EXTREMELY lethargic though.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I just received a call from my vet, she says her stomach and intestines are clean, but they did find was Emphysematous cystitis, which is rare and basically she has a lot of gas in her bladder, most likely due to a UTI.
They're going to do an ultrasound though, they're going to call me when they have.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm shaking so much I type very slow! I didn't see all those replies before mine, thank you SO SO MUCH for your prayers and good thoughts, it helps me more than you can imagine.

I'll update again whenever I hear back from my vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't edit, but I didn't mean to say UTI, I was going to say it's due to some sort of bacteria.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
We just had a club member's pup pass from a genetic renal disorder. I am so sorry to hear about the issues your pup is having. His pup was having extreme abdominal pain as well. His vet sat on it and didn't treat the pup for 3 days and by the time he got his pup into a different vet, it was too late. They found out with the autopsy it was a genetic disorder.

Unfortunately, these renal problems are becoming more and more common. I don't know if anyone is tracking this or not, but the numbers are jumping.

There is one place that you can have genetic renal testing done on your dog.
DOGenes - Genetic Testing and Research for Dogs

From what I understand, the test is about $150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is beyond awful, jaggirl!!

Then the puppy wasn't treated at all??

Oh man, going to check that website NOW.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,514 Posts
That is beyond awful, jaggirl!!

Then the puppy wasn't treated at all??

Oh man, going to check that website NOW.

The pup did get treated. However, the first 3 days, the vet kept sending him home saying he had a stomach irritation. One of our club members sent him to a different vet who DID treat the pup. He was too sick by that point. When they did the biopsy though, his kidneys were too far gone to really make much of a difference. He did have more pain than he should have because the one vet didn't treat. The pup was sent to WSU for a more in depth autopsy but I haven't heard yet what the results were.
 
1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Top