German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wud up to all,
My 15 months old GSD is only eating once a day. He’s on a raw diet of chicken quarters, beef liver, chicken heart, ground beef and chicken feet. When I first started the raw diet he ate twice a day now he just sniffs the food in the morning and walks away. He will eat about 1.5 lbs in the afternoon when he is hungry. Is this normal or healthy for him? He’s active, poops regular and has gets lots of exercise.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
WELCOME Mato!!!! :)

I also feed raw.

As long as he is under a vets care, has had stool checked for parasites, is not skinny, or has any negative signs, he should be fine.

We have a 22 month old male that does the same thing on and off. We jokingly say that he is on "wolf time" when he does that! lol
Some days he won't eat at all! When he goes thru a growth spurt, like he is now, he eats up a storm!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hi Mato! Welcome to the forum. I 85-90% raw feed. A L.I.D. kibble is offered as a free feed. Our girl is almost 7. Some where between 1.5 and 2 she started only wanting to eat once a day in the evening. Over the years she still mostly only eats meals at night. She will ask for a little treat in the AM I'm supposing to just keep the hungries and tummy upset away. Otherwise she eats meals mostly once a day. Like Mom's has suggested if your boy is otherwise healthy, has good stools, activity levels and maintains weight I wouldn't worry about it. I personally feel like raw fed dogs self regulate all on their own quite well when it comes to meals and healthy eating.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Same as Momto2GSDs......

FWIW....you might add another source of organ instead of just using liver only........

SuperG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the quick responses. I do add Other organs besides liver. Liver and chicken hearts are his main organ portion of his meal. But, I also give him gizzards, and when I can the hookups from local hunters venison organs and meat. I freeze it for a few weeks first though.
I’m just to here someone else has a GSD that eats once a day. Also, noticed he drinks a lot less water, poops less and he’s had a bare patch on his leg with no fur since he was born and now it’s growing hair in TW past 30 days which is unbelievable to me!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I also feed raw.

As long as he is under a vets care, has had stool checked for parasites, is not skinny, or has any negative signs, he should be fine.

We have a 22 month old male that does the same thing on and off. We jokingly say that he is on "wolf time" when he does that! lol
Some days he won't eat at all! When he goes thru a growth spurt, like he is now, he eats up a storm!
Im glad to here you have a GSD going through the same thing I was freaking out. Thought he was sick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I also feed raw.

That’s funny because he was eating like a champ now he just went to once a day. Guess he’s done with his growth spurt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know, I try to give him a verity. I give him what I can find at the Asian markets and the local hunters. I mix Gizzards, hearts, and beef liver into the ground beef. If I I don’t grind the organs and organ meat into the ground beef he won’t touch it. Don’t worry I’m trying my best that’s why I switched to raw. I switched to raw because I love my boy and I just joined here t to looked for advice on the eating once a day and not have people criticizing the beat I can do for my dog that I love more than anything in the world.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It can be difficult to feed a balanced raw diet and to source the ingredients. I believe others were just trying to offer advice. Good organ meat choices other than liver include kidneys, pancreas, spleen, etc. I think the reproductive organs would also count?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where do you find thought kinda organ meat? All I can get is Beef/chicken liver, Venison organs, chicken hearts, beef hearts, gizzards. Can’t find any green tripe. All I can find is the bleached white tripe for human consumption!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
and not have people criticizing the beat I can do for my dog that I love more than anything in the world.
Hence..... people give you information so you can love your dog in a more nourishing way............heart and gizzards don't count as organ meat......research it if you choose.

My comment was simply to pass along info which I learned when I decided to feed my dog a raw diet.......... due diligence I believe..............you know ...helps eliminate the "woulda, coulda and shouldas".

No need to get uptight......this forum can help you in so many ways .....especially when you love your dog more than anything in the world....and understand others in here are on the same journey.

Oh....kidney is usually somewhat easy to find.......

SuperG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hence..... people give you information so you can love your dog in a more nourishing way............heart and gizzards don't count as organ meat......research it if you choose.

My comment was simply to pass along info which I learned when I decided to feed my dog a raw diet.......... due diligence I believe..............you know ...helps eliminate the "woulda, coulda and shouldas".

No need to get uptight......this forum can help you in so many ways .....especially when you love your dog more than anything in the world....and understand others in here are on the same journey.

Oh....kidney is usually somewhat easy to find.......

SuperG
Liver is the organ meat I give my dog. The heart and gizzard are add variety to his diet. Do you find Kidney at the Asian markets or at the regular markets like Walmart. Just asking because I’ve looked and Kidneys and green tripe are 2 things I just can’t come across.

Besides, I was asking on advice on my dog eating only once a day and wanted to make sure that was normal. Just wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with that. Seems it is as a couple people already replied to my original concern and MUCH thanks for that. I was worrying that my boy wasn’t eating enough.
Thanks for all the help much appreciated

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't know what region you live in, but I occasionally see beef kidneys at Whole Foods and Publix. I'm sure you can ask the store butcher if they can order any organ meat for you. I don't see why they couldn't. They sell liver, so they have a source for organs somewhere.

Do you maybe have a local butcher shop? Or a local meat farm? You could try contacting them and see if they have anything in stock or that you can order/reserve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m in VA we have Publix about 20 minutes away I’ll def try them out. I get them from the local hunters occasionally because the butcher around me is soo high!! But, the hunters get it on occasion because there are other raw feeders here to.
Thanks, going to Publix today

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
You can order frozen organs and have them delivered! The following company has a variety of organs (some ground, some whole) among many other items including tripe.

My Pet Carnivore: You are being redirected...

There are other reputable companies that folks here can suggest.

For ground items: Thaw, spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. For more dense products, scoop out with spoon and place on cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper) to freeze individual portions.

After items are individually frozen, transfer into labeled freezer bags. ;)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
. Do you find Kidney at the Asian markets or at the regular markets like Walmart. Just asking because I’ve looked and Kidneys and green tripe are 2 things I just can’t come across.
I found kidney at Asian markets but found the best deal by checking out local butcher/meat markets.......the smaller butcher shops were more than happy to take my "special" order and order in an adequate amount of kidney and then process it into 1 lb bags for freezing.

SuperG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts