German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got our first GSD two weeks ago. She was amazing for the first few days, but I think now that she's gotten more comfortable she's starting to act out a bit.

Her biggest issue at this point is that she won't go on walks anymore. She was a great walker for about a week, then started refusing to go, and now it's almost impossible to get her to walk. We have a small fenced in back yard we can play with her in, but it's so small it's hard to tire her out back there (which then leads to her being bad in the house). She also doesn't have any ball drive, or want to play fetch. She'll get distracted and eat wood chips, etc, so it's tough.

I believe related to the above, she about two times a day (morning and night), goes absolutely crazy. Runs around the house, doesn't listen, goes into/on things she shouldn't. We used to take her out immediately, but with her walking issue, that doesn't seem to help. I've tried to do clicker training with her during those times, but she only calms down until the session is over and then starts up again.

Also, when we can get her to talk (or at puppy class), when she comes across dogs, she has to smell them, and if they don't give her attention (or enough attention), she starts to bark and jump around. I think we could solve this is we knew more people with dogs, but it's hard to get strangers on the street to let her work it out (which is VERY understandable).

She has also started playing in her water bowl (eats the water, then paws in, then bites bowl), which is causing quite a mess. We take it away when she does that, but it hasn't helped her to stop.

When is comes to clicker training, we cant get her to understand when it's over, and she keeps wanting treats, which we can't continue to give her, which results in her jumping up on things trying to get more.

Sorry for the long post, but any ideas on the above? I realize she's just a puppy and we've got a ways to go, but we're trying to do what we can now to save us problems when she's bigger and harder to handle. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I call those crazy periods the zoomies and that was usually the huge sign that mine was overtired and needed a little nap lol.

I love her food drive though, that's awesome that she wants to work. HOw much nap time does she get a day? A lot of dogs don't know how to play fetch right away. Have you tried a flirt pole? They don't need much space and are a great way to tire them out. I play with the flirt pole in my apartment and it tires out my dog.

When she plays in the water, take it away. Put it back down a few minutes later after she lost interest. She will learn eventually

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I call those crazy periods the zoomies and that was usually the huge sign that mine was overtired and needed a little nap lol.

I love her food drive though, that's awesome that she wants to work. HOw much nap time does she get a day? A lot of dogs don't know how to play fetch right away. Have you tried a flirt pole? They don't need much space and are a great way to tire them out. I play with the flirt pole in my apartment and it tires out my dog.

When she plays in the water, take it away. Put it back down a few minutes later after she lost interest. She will learn eventually
She's in her crate for 3 hours in the morning, and 3 in the afternoon, during which we assume that she naps. She also naps around 7 for about an hour each night. She's then in the crate at night from 11-6. Any thoughts on how to get her to nap? I think putting her in the crate might help, but she might see that as punishment...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
You want a 14 week old puppy to listen? :D Good luck! Ha ha!

Give it some time, not to worry, she sounds totally normal to me. They grow out of a lot of that stuff. My pup never wanted to leave the house! I guess it feels safer to them. She'd just pull and try to get back inside. She got over it though.

Are you taking her to puppy class?

GSD pups are not necessarily easy to care for! They are a lot of work!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Since I work all day, my puppy is in there at least that long sadly. Do some mental games with her, teach her some tricks, hide things for her to find. If she enjoys water, get her a plastic wading pool to play in outside. Just put a couple of inches of water in it at first and let her splash around. Give her a rag or something to play with in the water, maybe she will use up a bit of energy that way.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Okay well I had to FORCE mine to nap but she would not see it as a punishment. Usually with the zoomies, 15 minute time out in the crate was enough to calm her down. She does sound normal to me too. If you have bully sticks or other things for her to chew on you can give them to her in her crate if she isnt sleepy. Since she likes food so much, have you tried leashing her, showing her a treat, and RUNNING a few feet away? Usually they cant help but chase you, and it's an even bigger bonus if you have food. That could get her started walking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read your crating schedule. Seems like a lot of time in her crate to me? That might explain all the pent up energy
She's like this even on the weekends, where the only time she's in it is at night for the most part.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it is normal, we had similar issues, used treats to stimulate to walk. It was just a phase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts