German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to get your opinions. He is only about 70 lbs so far but his dad is 107 so I expect him to fill out. Also, he's only 14 months old. Sorry pics aren't fantastic and not sure why the first one posts sideways - its not like that in my folder.

Both parents are titled german imports.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Dang, is that MY dog??? Yours looks a lot like mine. Lol. Mine was 73lb at 12 months, 25inches. Now he is approaching 18 months and is 90lb, 26inches. He has a lean built, lots of muscles, so he doesn't look 'big,' more like medium size even though he weighs slightly more than the standard male GSD weight. Guess he'll stop growing in height now. But I'm guessing he'll be 95-100lb at full grown. Your dog looks fine. Handsome dog!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Hard to look at the sideways photo. :) Very nicely balanced young male. Very good angles front and rear, excellent secondary sex characteristics. Would like to see tighter feet. He has a fairly typical showline topline with more curve than I, personally, care for.

He is probably done growing, but will fill out. Don't worry about his current or even future weight compared to his father. Keep him lean and fit. He will fill out and add more muscle and masculine traits as he matures over the next 2 years as long as he isn't neutered.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
To the OP -- I'm still in the very early learning stages myself, so I can't give any expert opinions on your guy, but coming strictly from a newbie to the GSD world, I think he's gorgeous!

.... excellent secondary sex characteristics. ....
..... add more muscle and masculine traits....
A question, if you don't mind? What secondary sex characteristics and/or masculine/feminine traits are displayed in GSDs? Are you able to tell a male from a female without a peek at primary sex characteristics? (Lactating females are a bit obvious...but other than that?)

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
You should be able to tell a male by his head, usually wider with a bit heavier jowl, musculature, and thickness, especially at maturity. Some bitches are quite masculine, but will still look like a bitch next to a male. Some males have "bitchy" heads and are not as masculine.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
At first glance, there are times when I have had to look at the plumbing to know for sure.

Reactions: Judy Untamed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang, is that MY dog??? Yours looks a lot like mine. Lol. Mine was 73lb at 12 months, 25inches. Now he is approaching 18 months and is 90lb, 26inches. He has a lean built, lots of muscles, so he doesn't look 'big,' more like medium size even though he weighs slightly more than the standard male GSD weight. Guess he'll stop growing in height now. But I'm guessing he'll be 95-100lb at full grown. Your dog looks fine. Handsome dog!
They do look similar! Handsome boy, you have!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
…. Some males have "bitchy" heads and are not as masculine.
I hope nobody ever accuses me of having a "bitchy head" ;)

Funny, I can nearly always tell a male from a female in the breeds with which I am familiar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard to look at the sideways photo. :) Very nicely balanced young male. Very good angles front and rear, excellent secondary sex characteristics. Would like to see tighter feet. He has a fairly typical showline topline with more curve than I, personally, care for.

He is probably done growing, but will fill out. Don't worry about his current or even future weight compared to his father. Keep him lean and fit. He will fill out and add more muscle and masculine traits as he matures over the next 2 years as long as he isn't neutered.
Thank you for the input. I have never noticed that about his feet but I see it. And I will try to take a better picture from the side with him stacked and his mouth open. I think this pic somehow makes his rear look more sloped than it is. He has AMAZING movement so I'm considering showing him. He would have to learn to be around dogs without wiggling and whining though!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thank you! Since your dog is only 14 months old, I'm guessing he will be over 85lb. 90ish at full grown. Just a guest based on my experience with my dog, who has similar built as yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts