German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got a 13 week old GSD and 12 year old Golden Retriever. When they first met they seemed ok. They liked to play tug-o-war together and such.

Then Lotus (13 week old GSD) kept biting Molly (Golden Retriever) endlessly and everywhere like ears and legs. She seems to be getting extremely irritated because she always tries to avoid him and get away from him now. He always tries to get on her big comfy bed and Molly would move!! which I don't want because it's HER bed and Lotus has his own but a tad smaller.

Lotus seems to be getting more rough with her and irritating her. Molly bit his ear or scruff about 3-4 times when she got fed up but he keeps doing it and taking over her bed and such.

Lotus acts out mostly when I pet Molly or if Molly doesn't play with him. I think he's just bored or trying to play but I don't think Molly likes it too much and I can't have her growling and barking too much or the neighbors will complain.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You need to take control of the situation and keep the puppy from pestering your older dog. Your puppy will improve over time, but this is your job for now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to take control of the situation and keep the puppy from pestering your older dog. Your puppy will improve over time, but this is your job for now.
Do I just push him away when he bothers her and keep doing that until he stops?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Do I just push him away when he bothers her and keep doing that until he stops?
What I do is stand between them and tell him to "leave it".

I teach him the "leave it" command separately with food and toys first, so that he knows what the leave it command is.

When I tell him "leave it" when he is pestering my 13 year old, I dont treat him at the advise of my trainer because she said I would be rewarding the messing with my older dog behavior. So instead I just tell him good boy.

I hope someone else chimes in because I would love to learn other ways to correct this behavior.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts