German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, is this normal? My 13 week old puppy is now use to being on the leash, but when I take him for a walk, we'll be going down the street, not even a minute away from the house and I'll be walking then all the sudden she stops, sits, and watches me. I look at him and tell him "come" and he does, but then he keeps doing it, over and over.

Then finally, JUST FINALLY, we get all the way down the street, and he continues the rest of the walk no problem, and at the end of the walk (close to my house) he instantly knows, and that's when he starts to leash pull! I stop as if I'm a tree, don't move, and then, do a 180 turn, and walk down a bit, while turning back, but he'll keep pulling (sometimes he doesn't)

How can I correct this, is this a socialization problem?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not an expert, but seems completely normal. My pup also did it, and as a matter of fact, still does it now (almost 7 months). Mind you, mine is a very reactive dog and I'm not experienced enough to correct him at the right moment, so him behaving like this at this age seems to me to be more of an exception than a rule. A member on this forum advised me to read, "The Other End Of The Leash" by Patricia McConnell. I just got the book and it's amazing. The introduction alone has taught me so much about how to behave around a dog, that I can't wait to finish it. Go buy it! :)
My (unexperienced) advice to you is to not think too much about it at this moment, it's normal behavior as far as I know for a pup that age. He just really wants to go home again, which is normal. I 'counter' this by keeping him short and waiting for him to sit before I cross the road to my home. Even if it takes him a minute or two, we won't cross before he sits.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My experience is quite limited, but I'd say its normal. Mine did that, too. I started taking him for regular walks from the age of 12 weeks and he was doing exactly the same thing, stopping every few feet, sat on his bum and refused to go forward. I was suspecting everything - fear, socialization problem, hip/leg problem, nail problem, wrong surface (hard tarmac downhill) etc.. He just grew out of this by the age of 16 weeks and now I'm struggling with him not to pull (he is 7.5 months). Just watch you pup, she will self correct :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
my pup is 9 weeks and does that and tries to pull back towards the house... but then once we are down the street she starts walking with me.. then we get close to house again she pulls toward the house.. I don't think it's a problem I think its normal for small pups

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :p I was starting to assume that he was just a lazy bug, he's pretty silly, like if you tell him roll over he completely get's lazy during the command and starts back talking me while doing it, haha, and then finally does it, he's bit of a goofball and a drama queen.

Good to know that loads of people when through this phase, hewh.
He'll start walking once I get all the way down, it's just ridiculous because it's so embarrassing when he won't move his little butt! And then he tries to jump up at me wanting me to carry him and then I say; "No, down" keep continuing the walk then he's fin... He won't stop, and or do that anymore. I'll try to do more short walks and get him use to it, I sort of paused on taking him out because loads of terrible things around my area has been happening, plus I didn't wanna damage his hips and I was told he was too young for that, so I lessen the amount of places I was taking him too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're not alone

My 5mth old german pulls terribly on the walk back home. Going away he is not as bad but when we get close to home that's all he has on his mind! Hope he grows out of it too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts