German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13 week old GSD, Sura! Crate training & How can I teach her what is meant to be chewe

We purchased our first German Shepherd puppy at the age of 10 weeks. She is now 13 weeks. We are crate training her because we want her inside. She is pretty good about letting us know when she needs to be let out for restroom breaks BUT, when we let her out in the middle of the night (sometimes 2-3AM) should we let her eat and drink when we come back in? Do I scold her when she has an accident inside? I know it isn't her fault, she is a puppy but I also don't want an out of control dog later down the road. Moving on, chewing!!! Haha She is like my 7 month old son (who is teething) with trying to chew on everything. She has learned what "NO!" means. Sometimes I clap once, very loudly and say "NO!" & this seems to be more effective. I give her what is actually meant to be chewed on (tennis ball, squeaker toy, bone, etc.) & take what she is not suppose to chew and put it away. I love her so much already and I want her to be well trained and obedient but I want to do it the right way, with as less stress and confusion as possible. P.s. I have a 3 year old Blue Merle Chihuahua & they have became pals to my surprise. :)

Sincerely,
New German Shepherd mom! <3

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
629 Posts
13 week old GSD, Sura! Crate training & How can I teach her what is meant to be chewe

When my pup was that young I would pick up water 2 hours before bedtime and would give water back at 7am. Feedings were at 7am, 12:30, and 5:30 I gave him 15-20 minutes whatever he didn't eat I would pick up. I wouldn't scold when accidents occurred they're you're fault for not taking the pup out enough ;) if she has an accident take a step back in duration. For example you take the pup out every two hours for a few days -no accidents awesome! Push it to three hours oops! Pup had an accident you went too fast you're fault. Step it back to two hours for a few days. As for the chewing just keep up with redirecting to appropriate items to chew. She chews on your shoes your fault for leaving them out ;) take the shoe from her give her one of her toys get her engaged in her toy and praise praise! She will get it eventually she's still a baby and has only been here on this earth for 13 weeks (3 weeks in your home) she will learn the rules as long as you stay consistent good luck! :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
It sounds like you're doing fine. When your pup does chew on HER toys praise her and pet her . . .I found that worked even better on Jaeger than scolding him for chewing the wrong thing. They get so very many "no-nos" at that age, lol!

Do the same thing when she is going potty outside, BTW: Praise the heck out of her when she gets it right. Sometimes it feels silly to be outside cooing "Oh what a GOOD dog so smart for pottying outside!" but they love it.

A warning about shoes: Jaeger's only real chewing vice was shoes. Puppies like them because they smell like you. . . however, is forays into chewing shoes later on came about because, we suspect, he associates them with us leaving. Yeah, they really can be that smart. "If they don't have the shoes, they can't leave . . ." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks. :) It seems as though she goes minutes after eating and drinking. I put the water and food bowl away an hour and a half before bed time. My son wakes between 5-6 AM so I'm just going to start taking her out after I feed him. It seemed to help a little. Thanks for the advice. ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts