German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our GSD in her crate at night since she was 5 weeks old and she's never had a problem until two days ago. At bedtime she'll go in on command but after we go upstairs she starts barking and whining. She doesn't spend any time in her crate during the day unless we go out for a few hours to run errands and she doesn't fuss about that. She's also become very insistent about sitting out in the back yard until dark no matter what the weather (it's never cold btw in AZ btw).
We play with her off and on all day and she's run/walked at least once a day now that summer heat's kicked in (again AZ heat).
Don't quite know how to deal with the crate antics that just started, suggestions?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Can she be trusted out of the crate at night?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If you want her to sleep in the crate at night, don't give in to the barking and whining. She doesn't get to decide things like that. Same with being outside. It's not her choice. It's yours. She's at one of those stages some dogs can and will push their limits. Revert back to puppy basics. NILIF. Remind her who makes the decisions and don't let her get away with behavior you don't agree with.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, yes she can be trusted or should I say we're pretty sure she can. She will not go to the bathroom in the house, though chewing on something? It's been a few months since she chewed a fan cord other than that she's been a gem.

We did try the "let her cry" thing last night for about an hour but when it hit midnight the wife couldn't take anymore.
We did the same thing with our son way back when and it worked just great. This young lady seems to be way more stubborn. I'd figured she would last at the most a half hour, guess I was wrong.:(
When the wife brought her upstairs she calmed right down, laid down on the floor next to the bed and didn't move until I went up to get her when she was in the process of waking up mom (@ 5am) and had to pick her up to get her out of the room without waking mom too much. I get up real early so usually it's me and the girl until about 9am.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I take it her crate is in a different room. SHe just wants to be where you are. When I have a pup, the crate is in my bedroom. I've always been able to let them sleep out of the crate around 5 months. I just put a doggie gate on the door so they won't roam in the night (I don't think they would anyway).

It sounds like she will do just fine sleeping in your room. Put her a bed down in there and I'm guessing she will sleep through the night just fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the answers! We too are of the opinion that she may just be saying enough to the crate. I know when she's out of it and resting in the house she's either under the foot part of my recliner or if I'm not in it she's laying in the front room where she can see both the back and front doors.
Just got to get her used to the idea she can't jump on the bed anymore!

At 70 odd pounds she creates quite the stir when she does not to mention she doesn't know the words "lay still dang it".:laugh:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Just got to get her used to the idea she can't jump on the bed anymore!

At 70 odd pounds she creates quite the stir when she does not to mention she doesn't know the words "lay still dang it".:laugh:
Thats really not that hard to do. They get the hang of it pretty quick. My dogs learned that when there is two of us in the bed, there is no room for them... but when one of us gets up, it's game on! They are pretty sneaky and get into bed without me or him knowing, usually my husband or I wake up, roll over to put our arm around the other and realize we got really hairy overnight! :wild: Occasionally Knuckles will try to sneak up when it's both of us, but thats pretty rare. He gets sick of not having any room and gets down.
We have a large dog bed/pillow in our bedroom that the dogs take turns laying on... whoever isn't on the dog bed sleeps on the side of the bed under the window. I also put a regular bed pillow on the dog bed and one by the window. Both dogs like pillows, this way they don't miss not being up on the bed so much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe she wants to be with you at night or at least wants to see you. Naturally a GSD will want to keep an eye on the doors and entrances. There may be 2 solutions: either move the crate close to you, or let her roam free and check if she's causing any damages. Personally, I can't sleep with a dog barking and whining all night. I need my sleep...(but that's personal) :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she's been "free" for 3 days now. Only real issue is her not leaving the room when I do (I get up real early) and then at about 5 am giving my other half nice big good morning "wake up now" kisses.
Can't give her the normal "here" command as that'd wake up sleeping beauty, heaven knows NOBODY wants that.
Went to grab her collar the other morning to get her started out but wife had taken it off to wash it (it stank like sweat) so I had to actually pick her up (omg she's getting heavy) and set her outside the room.

So I guess we're off and running on our little girl becoming a teenager.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Awww love those morning kisses! LOL
Glad it's working out! Just work on trying to get her to go out of the room with you in the mornings. My dogs do the same thing on the wknds, stay in the room until whoever didn't get up first gets up. You can work on a "whisper" here command, they do have pretty good hearing :)
Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts