German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my dogs back legs are starting to fail seems to keep getting worse and often walking with a light limp. Vet recommended me to give him a supplement a few months ago but dont think its helping much. Is there anything you found that think would be helpful for my love? any advice much appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pup. I'm guessing the supplement is glucosamine? Your best bet is to check back with the vet. We gave our lab carprofen, it seemed to help her.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You need to get a diagnosis. Is it arthritis? Hip dysplasia? Degenerative Myelopathy? Those are different conditions that can cause weakness in the hind end, and would be treated differently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnks for the help, i just got back from vet, its Hip dysplasia, past few days been very hard, he can barely walk now :(. yup been giving him glucosamine and the vet just gave him a cortisone shot. Seeing now its very hard to take him for a walk would a canine cart or something be good? thanks

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Glucosamine/chondroitin/msm. A holistic product named Zeel can help with pain management without the side effects of drugs Keep him lean, as any extra pounds at all will be difficult for him to carry. I wouldn't go with a cart unless it's very difficult for him to get around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnks Emoore, yeh been giving him those supplements but dont know if helping, n giving good diet and hes thin. reason thinking myb a cart now because last 2 days or so his legs went from bad to horrible, for first tiem he didnt want to go for a walk and hes walking sideways n every few steps now he stumbles n often falls

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Many dogs do really well in a cart. It takes some time for them to adjust. You can also build a cart, there are instructions available on line.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Clipper is 12, I started the adequin shots and they have helped him greatly. He was weak in his back, has arthritis in his back legs and hips. He would fall trying to poop, his back would sway down when you ran your hands down his back. The adequin has strengthened his back, legs and hips. He is able to poop better, can get up better. He takes the springtime supplements also. I think he wouldn't be as far along now if not for the adequin and supplements. He has osteosarcoma on his right ribs now, but I plan to keep him on the adequin as it has helped him so much. He also takes vetprofen twice a day and for now 1 tramadol at night. Will increase the tramadol when he needs it. The adequin is a little expensive, at my vet it was $40.75 per shot. They did 6 loading doses, 2 per week, now once a month. Someone had posted there is a generic form that is cheaper. It was totally worth it. It has given him much comfort and mobility .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Adequan is great for dogs, my friend Angel has had both of her GSD's on it in the later years.

I had a Keeshond for many years and when he got hip dysplasia we put him on Cosequin. The vet told me "the next two weeks will be rough but once he gets a loading dose, he will do fine."

The vet was right, he stayed comfortable and active until I lost him five years later.

Working with horses, I am very familiar with the benefits of Adequan and Cosequin. I'm not sure if they make a version of Legend for dogs, but it is also helpful for older equines when their joints/synovial fluids began to age so perhaps it would help a canine as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts