German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I just got a GSD, she is 12 weeks old and I am worry about her size and weight I been looking around and all GSD size chart are way over her actual size and weight she is only 12.7 LBS. this is the first time I own a GSD I am not sure If this is normal or if this is something that I should worry about ,Any ways I will love her and I will give her everything she needs . Please let me know what you think any comment will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Banned
120 Posts
She looks just fine.. and look at that face! :)
I could never follow chats, mine was always way below what the chart said, but now she´s just fine. maybe she´s on the small side..? very cute puppy nonetheless

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well i got her from Pet land here ( pembroke pines , FL ) she came from Albert City, Iowa from a dog breeders call Sue Shold , according to all the papers she was born March 20. She looks fine when it come to play time " she is extremely active " my only cncern is her weight (12.7Lbs)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She looks just fine.. and look at that face! :)
I could never follow chats, mine was always way below what the chart said, but now she´s just fine. maybe she´s on the small side..? very cute puppy nonetheless
thank you!! yes she is a nice puppy and she love to play.. maybe she will be on the small side :eek:.. but it's ok i will love her anyways..

·
Banned
120 Posts
I´m no expert. but i wouldn´t worry much. if she´s healthy, playfull and active, i think she is just fine. weight can depend a lot on the dog, for exemple on bone structure, and charts take the avarage, but the puppies can be either higher up or lower down than the average and still be healthy. Enjoy your new puppy! :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It's not about the number but about the body condition. If your puppy has a good condition, then the weight is fine. Too thin .. then she may need more weight. I took my male pup in at 9 weeks and he weighed 17 lb 6 oz at that point; however, males are supposed to be larger and the standard for both male and female has a range, not an absolute (for height-weight isn't in the standard).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The only thing she had was a cough but she was taking medication, she has all her shot except for rabies etc. She is active and jumps a lot!!!!! If you carry her she only stay come for about 5 to 10 sec she just wants to be on the floor running and going under my legs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think that people in general think that GSD females are larger than the standard actually is. The main chart I see shows a female at 64lbs at 12 months, assuming they put on a few pounds their final year that would be at the top end of the GSD standard female weight. 48.5 lbs full grown weight is considered within the standard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for the quick response , i feel better now!!. for some reason they are like kids and is really easy to get attach to them , i just want the best for her.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
To me that sounds small to be honest, my pup was I think 14 or 15 lbs when she came home at 8 weeks and I remember she was 20 lbs at 2 months, then gaining about 10 lbs a month until she was 5 or 6 months, and I kept her lean! I actually had a vet get tell me that she was too thin and could stand to gain a couple of pounds.

Mind you, she's large for a female, I thought she'd finish like her mom at about 60 lbs, but she's over 70 at 13 months.

It could be that she's just a smaller pup, but if she's not gaining steadily, it might be worth popping by your vets for their opinion. I think the main thing is that they are gaining each month. Is your vet nearby? I'm sure they won't mind you bringing her in to pop onto the scale every couple of weeks :)

I agree about not worrying about the charts. GSD's are very diverse depending on the breeding and bloodlines, I think the showlines tend to be bigger boned for example and if the chart is based on that and you have a WL, then it's not going to be a very good reference anyway.

·
Banned
120 Posts
From the pictures she looks fine. And blackshep has a point, check he weight once in a while to make sure she is gaining. If she is then she should be just fine :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
To me that sounds small to be honest, my pup was I think 14 or 15 lbs when she came home at 8 weeks and I remember she was 20 lbs at 2 months, then gaining about 10 lbs a month until she was 5 or 6 months, and I kept her lean! I actually had a vet get tell me that she was too thin and could stand to gain a couple of pounds.

Mind you, she's large for a female, I thought she'd finish like her mom at about 60 lbs, but she's over 70 at 13 months.

It could be that she's just a smaller pup, but if she's not gaining steadily, it might be worth popping by your vets for their opinion. I think the main thing is that they are gaining each month. Is your vet nearby? I'm sure they won't mind you bringing her in to pop onto the scale every couple of weeks :)

I agree about not worrying about the charts. GSD's are very diverse depending on the breeding and bloodlines, I think the showlines tend to be bigger boned for example and if the chart is based on that and you have a WL, then it's not going to be a very good reference anyway.
I know she is not going to be big lol belive me i been serching for pic and
Comparing her and she is not even near to what she is Suppose to be i will have to keep and eye on her and see how she is doing only time will tell

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
She's small, and 99% of the dogs from pet stores like that are from puppy mills, even when it gives you a "breeder" name. She might just be on the small end of the standard. As long as she's healthy, and fed a good diet she will be just fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
She's small, and 99% of the dogs from pet stores like that are from puppy mills, even when it gives you a "breeder" name. She might just be on the small end of the standard. As long as she's healthy, and fed a good diet she will be just fine.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
yes she is from a puppy mill she is from here
Sue Shold - Albert City, Iowa breeder USDA #42A1299

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
yes she is from a puppy mill she is from here
Sue Shold - Albert City, Iowa breeder USDA #42A1299
Put the bold in Google, and definitely a puppy mill. Dobermans, Yorkies and GSDs. Depressing pics from inspection, but not as horrible as many I've seen.

Never ceases to amaze me that pet stores will purchase the pups :(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw. You can't worry now. My dogs came out of a MUCH worse operation, and they're just fine...I have some temperament issues with the younger one, but training works wonders!

She's a cute pup, she has you looking out for her, and you're in the right place to get advice whenever you worry. Onward and upward in your new adventures in puppyhood :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts