German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and need some advice.
I have a 12 week old gorgeous female GSD and I have noticed on a few occasions that if picked up, even though this is done carefully and gently, she will sporadically yelp in pain. She "shakes it off" so to speak very quickly and carries on as normal.
She walks, runs and plays with no problems or any type of limp.Could this be growing pains? Or should I be more worried?
She has a tendency to winge or moan and I'm not sure if the two are related, please help? I don't seem to think so as it's more directed and I can generally pick up what she is asking for

Just to add in case it's relevant, she had coccidia at 8 weeks and was treated twice and has recovered fully

I would truly appreciate any advice
Many thanks

Registered
Our almost one year was so vocal, squeal, moan, WHINE, and never showed by limping or any other signs of pain. Thank goodness the whining if is basically gone. I think she just was noisy girl. I would keep a close eye but unless she acts like she is in pain or shows I wouldn't worry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our almost one year was so vocal, squeal, moan, WHINE, and never showed by limping or any other signs of pain. Thank goodness the whining if is basically gone. I think she just was noisy girl. I would keep a close eye but unless she acts like she is in pain or shows I wouldn't worry.
I was thinking the same thing, thank you so much. I have been doing as you say and keeping a close eye on her. Just cant help worrying. My last GSD, lived a very long life. He passed on at an unbelievable 19 years of age but as a puppy had parvo and miraculously survived but I naturally worry because of this.
Thank you so much

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Yelping in pain"?
What does the breeder say or ask your vet imo
I have chatted to the breeder, he says nothing to worry about as she is in a growth spurt. I am scheduled to go the vet on the 1st for her routine vaccine. Do you think its worthwhile taking her in earlier? I have done a lot of reading and seen quite a few write ups whereby they get a fracture because they always walk under your feet. I have accidently stood on her with no visible damage but it naturally concerns me and is in the back of mind

Registered
If it is pain, and not just the dog not liking to be picked up, I would go to the vet and have her checked out.
This isn鈥檛 normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is pain, and not just the dog not liking to be picked up, I would go to the vet and have her checked out.
This isn鈥檛 normal.
Her legs seem to be sensitive, she doesn't mind being picked up its just how you pick her up. I have to be very careful so I don't put any pressure on her legs. The strange thing is its not all the time its sporadic but will definitely get her checked out. Thank you so much

Registered
Breeder said growth spurt. Perhaps she was thinking of pano, but it鈥檚 a little early for that.

I would stop picking her up. Soon you won鈥檛 be able to, anyway.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breeder said growth spurt. Perhaps she was thinking of pano, but it鈥檚 a little early for that.

I would stop picking her up. Soon you won鈥檛 be able to, anyway.
I have read up a lot about Pano funny enough, I just cant marry her symptoms and reactions to it. She walks and runs normally, no lameness or lack of mobility however the inflammation part is what concerns me. Can you have Pano if she is still 100% mobile with no physical signs except the yelping pain if picked up?
Sorry for the questions just trying to get as much information as possible. I appreciate every little bit of advice and feedback

Registered
I have chatted to the breeder, he says nothing to worry about as she is in a growth spurt. I am scheduled to go the vet on the 1st for her routine vaccine. Do you think its worthwhile taking her in earlier? I have done a lot of reading and seen quite a few write ups whereby they get a fracture because they always walk under your feet. I have accidently stood on her with no visible damage but it naturally concerns me and is in the back of mind
I tend to worry less than most. Occasional limping, general muscle soreness, what could be growing pains all can be part of an active puppy growing up.

GSD don't yelp in pain often and are notorious for not showing pain as adults. So yes I'd pay attention. If you don't see it again or frequently, just mention it to the vet on the 1st who will likely do a bit more thorough examination including joint manipulation than they would have.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tend to worry less than most. Occasional limping, general muscle soreness, what could be growing pains all can be part of an active puppy growing up.

GSD don't yelp in pain often and are notorious for not showing pain as adults. So yes I'd pay attention. If you don't see it again or frequently, just mention it to the vet on the 1st who will likely do a bit more thorough examination including joint manipulation than they would have.
Thank you so very much, I am going to follow your advise. I truly appreciate it so thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.