German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently bought a German Shepherd puppy(female). There is also a 13 month old(male) in the house. I’m doing my best to keep the pup from biting anything, but she likes to bite the other dog which leads to him putting his whole mouth around her and it scares me even though I know he’s a super friendly dog. My question is will he snap on her at one point? He has bite marks or his legs and back so I know he’s about fed up. Any advice would help. Thank you

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
If the puppy is leaving marks on the other dog that is not ok. You need to step in and protect this poor patient dog. It is up to the humans to amuse the puppy not toss the responsibility onto another dog, and a young one at that. And yes I would expect at some point he will get fed up.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I would not let another dog take the brunt of deciding when a pup has gone too far, especially not another young strong male. Yes, he will roll him at some point if it keeps up and depending on his temperament and bite inhibition...could run the gamut from a pup with a wounded ego to a pup with puncture wounds.

You should definitely be the one stopping the puppy. I would also keep them separate for a good part of the day. Puppies who view the other dog in the house as their source of fun and bonding run the risk of becoming too "doggy". You will lay a much more stronger foundation with your pup if you are his source for fun, food, reward, etc. Their interactions will greatly improved if it is more limited and supervised. Lots of luck with the new pup, browse the sections there are lots of good posts here about having a puppy with existing dogs in the home :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts