German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering if this is normal and if any of you have any advice. I have a 12 week old male and he's learning lots and generally well behaved.

He bites A LOT but is slowly learning this is unacceptable. He often bites so hard he will puncture skin but I think that's down to puppy sharp teeth that scratch rather than meaning to.

The real issue is his "terror" mode. It's happen a couple times and it seems to start just before bedtime but not always. I take him out for his last pee and all of a sudden he starts getting over excited and bites my ankles, within 30 seconds this dramatically escalates to him going frantic and almost attacking me. Biting any part of me he can with what seems like malice. I can't pick him up as he goes for my hands and last time the only way to stop him from doing even more damage was to restrain him on the ground by holding his head down at the neck long enough for me to pick him up to carry him to his 'time out' room. All the way there he's biting any part of me he can get his mouth on, face, arms, anything. And biting hard. He also writhes around like a lunatic. Terror mode lasts for about 20 mins and then he calms down or gives up. By then he's bitten hard a couple of times and also wrecked anything he could find such as shoes etc.

It's craziness and a little scary when this happens. I don't want to have to restrain him this way, I don't like the whole idea of dominance etc but the only way to protect myself is to pin him down and then remove him from the situation.

Is this something that will resolve? have any of you had the same thing? Is this 'normal'? Any advice on the trigger or how to stop?

I'm concerned by this behaviour as it comes on with no warning and he's uncontrollable when he goes into this mood. It needs to stop urgently as its hard even now at his size but give it a month and it would be a massive dangerous problem.

Thanks! I hope this is normal as I already adore the little guy!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Our dog does the same thing but its the opposite, it's in the morning time after she wakes up she is the most hyper and usually bites my hand but after a few no's she stops. She will start right before she goes out and after she eats breakfast. Right now she is behind me sleeping. All I can say is give lots of chew toys that's what we do and make sure he's always busy doing something. Good luck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had the same exact issue with my pup, and I thought something was really wrong with her (or me) until I Googled "bratty bedtime behavior" and found this forum! You can link back to my first post to see all the helpful answers I got when I posted the same issue.

Anyway, definitely try crating - this is analogous to a 1 year old human that is exhausted but WILL NOT go to bed! Only with a puppy you can stick him in a box with a bully stick and let him calm down! There are a ton of posts on here about crate training if you're not already using one, but be sure you don't treat it as a punishment. If he's not already used to the crate, I would really suggest spending the time to make that THE happy place, and then when he's too crazed, he will like getting in there to calm himself down. Just very calmly and positively deposit him in his crate with a bully stick, and he will be grateful you're reining him in! Maybe every night after the last pee, he goes directly to the crate so he doesn't even have a chance to spin out of control. And don't worry, he really is like a baby, so he's not malicious.

And, when I upped the exercise - both leash walking and lots of fetch and flirt pole in the house, she still got the zoomies but it was less violent. I was so afraid of over-exercise that I wasn't giving her nearly enough to drain off her energy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
When GSDs or Malinois puppies are tired they often throw little fits. It's not unlike a kid. When they are tired they get cranky (cranky for a 12 week old looks like a ****fit), especially the ones that run themselves into the ground because they don't realize when they are tired and then all of a sudden collapse and fall asleep in weird places.

That appearance of malice is normal. It is prey drive its not aggression. As long as you keep consistent on training he will grow out of it and very soon. Your puppy sounds like a really nice potential working dog. The best ones lose their **** at that age when tired.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Kjdreyer is right on all points.
It's puppy zoomies :) Enjoy them while they last. I always thought it was adorable to see them running around the house like a crazed beast. Your best bet is to cheerfully say "Crate Time!" then place the puppy in his crate for sleep time.
My pup would often do this in the middle of the day so I knew it was nap time. I'd put her in her crate and she'd pass out for two solid hours, then be up and at it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts