German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from my mom just a few minutes ago. Apparently 12 YOUNG puppies were found in a ditch early this morning back home in Colorado Springs. The report was on the lunch time news as a special interest story. I'm trying to get the story itself showing the puppies but have so far been unable.

anyway, the people who found the puppies in the ditch in 7 degree F weather brought them into their vehicle shop and reached out to the news station asking for help. My mom was finally able to watch the news today like she normally tries to do. Guess today God had a plan. She sent me a text picture of the pup. She's going to try and send me a copy that i can post here for you to see. The pup doesnt look any older than 3-5 weeks to me.

I need to know, when raising a pup that young, what are good options for feeding? We've hand raised kittens before but never a puppy so young. Nobody knows who dumped the pups or why and most of them have already been adopted. I'm asking for suggestions on how to help this pup. He's in loving hands and my grandmother has already attached herself to him. Need feeding suggestions and options. and if i'm able to post the picture, age guesstimates from those who have the experience. They're taking him to the vet now just to make sure he's overall healthy and going from there. I appreaciate any information i can pass on.

Please keep in mind saying the puppy should be back with its mother is a duh thing but not an option so now lets just try to keep this little guy healthy and alive. Thank you.

·
5,627 Posts
Wait, this is one pup from the litter of 12? Why can't the pup go back to the whole litter? As you already know, it would be much better for his socialization to stay with the pack.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I believe what she is saying is that someone found 12 puppies dumped and now all puppies have been adopted out separately so her Mom has 1 puppy from the litter. She is looking for advice on how to raise/feed a pup that young.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe what she is saying is that someone found 12 puppies dumped and now all puppies have been adopted out separately so her Mom has 1 puppy from the litter. She is looking for advice on how to raise/feed a pup that young.

yes. thats it.

the people who found the pups cant keep the whole litter because one, they were found next to a busy highway to my understanding given the location of the garage they were found near. secondly, more than half the litter was already gone when she got there. they were dumped and taken in. I'm concerned for the other puppies health because of how young they look but i can help do something for the one my mom has and thats what i'm trying to do. leaving the pup with his litter was not an option given the litter has already been seperated. any advice is much appreciated. thanks again.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i apologize if i come off as harsh. i'm frustrated because i cant help anymore than letting her know any suggestions people have to try.

speaking of one, i dont think he's old enough yet to be given a raw egg for some extra nourishment but it was something someone suggested. is this a yes or a no?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This is leerburgs formula which is what we are using for our foster puppies (no mom). They came to us at 3 wks and are almost 5 wks now (give or take a day or two :) )

Leerburg | Bottle Feeding Puppies

We are using 10 oz goat milk
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp karo syrup
1 cup of whole yogurt

Everything can be found at wal-mart. We used the goat milk found with the regular milk, not the canned goat milk which I think was the wrong kind anyway.

We used the light karo syrup (in the syrup isle with the cereal syrups, not where we thought it would be!) because the recipe didn't specify and the light had slightly more calories.

They won't need to be stimulated to potty at 3 - 5 wks. Ours at at room temp now (72) though wk 3 - 4 we kept them in a large bathroom at night(in a crate of course) w/the door closed to help keep them warm.

By 4 wks they were drinking out of a bowl - we used a syringe before that because these two unlike most of the others wouldn't drink from a bottle - and now at almost 5 wks they are eating formula, a little water, and canned food in a bowl like PIGS.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rerun thank you so much. I'm going to copy and past that into an email now and send it!

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This formula is awesome. Much better than the powder sold in stores. It's easy, no cooking, no mixing water and powder in a bottle, just mix ingredients together as they come in the package (the egg is raw not cooked) and warm to approx 101 degrres F.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If making formula is hard for you your local vet will have small kits usually out front with medicated foods and such.they have kitten formula,puppy formula and even formula for rabbits sometimes.it comes in a small plastic container and is quite cheap if you are only feeding one puppy.remember never feed cows milk.goat and sheep milk are the best for young animals.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. thats a big help.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
In addition to proper nutrition, the pup will need some healthy, friendly and puppy tolerant doggie friends to help learn bite inhibition and doggie social skills.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In addition to proper nutrition, the pup will need some healthy, friendly and puppy tolerant doggie friends to help learn bite inhibition and doggie social skills.

lol do cats that ACT like dogs count? JK. she's going to have a few of our family members who have dogs (who LOVE puppies) visit a couple times a week so that should help. and my great grandmothers dog visits occassionally as well. and they'll be able to use my dogs when we go back for a visit. I may even snag Zena a couple times since she's fabulous with puppies but also has no problem teaching them what is okay and whats not okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts