German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odin has started to jump on me, my knee, my arms, my head etc when i play with him . He grasped my whatever he grasped with his front paws full force, bit me where I screamed and walked away ignoring him, the usual what you do when a dog bites.
Laying down again, he started doing it again and this time i pushed him over with my head and showed him my teeth and mock bit his neck while pushing him down to show I was not pleased (in his language). That actually helped.
Question, is it normal for a 11 week old to act that way and what is the best I should do.

I now got a all eater, sexually obsessed puppy and I am simply left without words and on my guard :crazy:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've written about Stosh's experience on another thread- at 12 wks he became very excited and I mean literally to the point of no return. At 12 weeks! You know how they say on the tv commercial that if there's an erection lasting more than 4 hrs go to the hospital? Where that's what was going on with him. He could barely walk, was crying, confused, etc. Apparently it's not that uncommon for a young pup to do this kind of thing and then stop until he's sexually mature, many months later. I think he learned his lesson because there weren't any other 'incidents' and he hasn't shown any signs at 10 mos of being sexually mature with anything- me, dogs, whatever.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Scarecrow-

I am not sure what you are saying...the pup is being bitey..humping or ..?

Pups are mouthy, some more than others. Their teeth are sharp as needles...Kelso drew blood on my family many a time...all in the process of bite inhibition..hehe. But it was usually the people flapping their hands in front of him...who wouldn't want to chomp on that! Or him being excited about playing/learning/tugging ect. I just wore gloves for some time while training. Redirect to a TOY!!! So he isn't noshing on you. Or like you said when he bites on you stop all interaction, so he knows he is not getting anything fun from it.

As far as laying down and showing him your teeth/mock biting him/pushing him down...all I will say is I would have gotten bit back in the face if I did that with Kelso! Just like when they play with other dogs/pups.

So not sure what the sexually obsessed puppy thing is about...humping?
Kelso humped at 9 wks old so whenever he did that, we moved away, ignored, or redirected.

He stopped by about 12 wks and even though he was not neutered until he was 3.5 never really did it since that point at 12 wks old.

Just think like a puppy!
They love to play, HATE to be ignored. Work with that :)

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
In puppies the humping often occurs. It is a hard-wired behavior just like others that help an animal survive and reproduce. Puppies often exhibit these behaviors.

It is not necessarily a sexual thing. Excitement, play and conflict can cause the humping behaviors to occur. Puppy humping, as it is often called, is very common.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
If he is humping during play, immediately stop playing and walk away. End of game. Don't tolerate humping.

Agree with Kelso as to how to react to the biting. Not sure it's a good idea to "bite" your puppy back.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The humping is a bad habit that is fairly easy to stop if you keep after it from the beginning. I will just say no, push the puppy just enough to stop him, and then praise him.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've written about Stosh's experience on another thread- at 12 wks he became very excited and I mean literally to the point of no return. At 12 weeks! You know how they say on the tv commercial that if there's an erection lasting more than 4 hrs go to the hospital? Where that's what was going on with him. He could barely walk, was crying, confused, etc. Apparently it's not that uncommon for a young pup to do this kind of thing and then stop until he's sexually mature, many months later. I think he learned his lesson because there weren't any other 'incidents' and he hasn't shown any signs at 10 mos of being sexually mature with anything- me, dogs, whatever.
:spittingcoffee::wild: i haven't experienced that yet w/ scout... but wouldn't the ol' pail of cold water usually cure that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts