German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My male GSD is being fed Royal Canin aprox 3 cups a day and half a raw chicken. He has his chicken for breakfast and then grazes on his 3 cups of biscuits through out the day. He visually appears to be in great health, nice bright eyes, gaining weight and has a beautiful glossy coat. Behaviour wise he is very playful when awake but sleeps around 15 hours a day.
For the past week he has been vomiting from what i can tell just once a day,the time is usually always early in the a.m, altho this evening he vomited around 8pm.
He does try and eat it so im pretty convinced its not bile, as i have read that bile is generally too acidic and they wont eat it. It looks like bile to me though. Its a greenish yellow colour similar to mustard at times and a slimy consistency.
Any ideas on what could be wrong?:sick::sick:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Three cups of food plus one half a raw chicken is an enormous amount of food for an adult, let alone an 11 week old puppy.
Take away the all day kibble bar. Free feeding is not a good idea.
Choose either kibble or raw, doing both may upset her stomach.
Read the raw section of this forum on how to achieve a balanced diet with raw, or feed 3/4 cup three times a day.
Good luck.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That sounds like bile and that's because her stomach is empty. I have never had a problem with feeding both raw and kibble but I would stop the free feeding and instead do three meal times, the last one happening about an hour before bed. That will hopefully stop the throwing up problem.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
That sounds like bile and that's because her stomach is empty. I have never had a problem with feeding both raw and kibble but I would stop the free feeding and instead do three meal times, the last one happening about an hour before bed. That will hopefully stop the throwing up problem.
How can it be empty stomach bile if the dog is fed that much and has free access to kibble? :confused:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tyson grazes on 3 cups but rarely finishes them. sorry i should have been more specific. he would be lucky to eat 2 cups of dry biscuit. its 3 that i offer in the bowl for him to graze on. we are going to cut back on his carcus by only allowing him it as a treat once a week. because we are noticing he is eating less and less of his complete diet biscuits. it has to be bile because there is nil undigested food in it. its just a slimy liquid

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts