German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Whatever you do, don't rush just b/c you want one now. Last year I nearly let my impatience overtake me. In the midst of feverish plans it hit me HARD that I might deeply regret saving a few hundred bucks or waiting several months. I took a deep breath & committed to waiting for a pup from a breeder I trust whose pups' temperament, health & looks I very much like. I'm so very glad that I did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've spoken with a breeder that won't let his pups go before 14 weeks. He says he wants to make sure that they are Parvo free and healthy.

Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
As long as the breeder is actively socializing them, there's no reason why 14 weeks is too late. I'd rather have a pup stay with the litter a little longer, rather than take one too soon (in my book, 8 weeks is too soon. 10 is better. 12 is even better.) Pups learn a lot in the litter from each other--especially things like play-biting. A pup taken early from the litter misses out on lots of free education that you'll have to make up for later.

I have no thoughts about the health aspect of keeping the pups. Certainly pups can leave earlier and still be healthy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heidelberg wants to wait to sell the pups until 12 weeks so that they can see how they are developing. If they show signs of a show dog (which takes longer in the development process) they will up the price and sometimes make you sign a contract where you promise to show the dog until it becomes a champion. One of their contracts stipulates that if you don't show it, they have the right to take it back from you. I didn't know how much our dog would cost until I went to go to pick it up at 12 weeks. I would NEVER, NEVER buy another dog from these people. I've learned the hard way - same as others have. Eugene Thompson has a terrible reputation for dealing with people. I've learned a lot by google(ing) him and his company. They have been very rude to me and my wife after we bought the dog.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well no matter who I buy from in the future, I personally will read the contracts, if I don't like what I read, I walk away. There are good breeders out there who have fair contracts without all the strings.

If a breeder wants that type of control then they need to do a co-owner ship, if not I paid for my pup and it is my pup.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Breeder contracts are a whole other can of worms. My advice is to read everything and make sure you understand it.
Also make sure you have a 72 hour escape clause for any reason you can get your money back in a 72 hour period of time

If you don't understand the language in the contract by all means bring it to an attorney.
These contracts are primarly breeder orientated and how some people just sign their life away never ceases to amaze me.
As Wisc.Tiger says if you don't like what your reading and the breeder refuses to make the required changes. Just WALK away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You guys are all so helpful. wow i am getting lots of info.i was also debating on getting a breeder hold back of 14 weeks. thanks. this is however, addicting as it is 2 am and i have to be at work at 7am. going to sleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there...I got "Sam " at 11 weeks....I am glad.Those 3 or 4 extra weeks make a difference.Crate trained which was a bonus!!Good luck!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts