German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. What do ya'll think about getting a pup after 8 weeks. I am looking for a male puppy and the breeder that I have narrowed it down to has an 11 week old male puppy. What are the pros/cons if any?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
So long as the breeder has been doing all the proper training and interaction and socialization that a good puppy buyer would be doing between 8 and 11 weeks, I'd go for it provided the pup and breeder are everything I'm looking for. Is there a reason that this guy got left over? Was it a return or a breeder holdback or just the last to be placed?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with an 11 week old pup. There is no rule that a puppy should be purchased at 8 weeks its just that it is the EARLIEST a pup can be purchased. They are still very adaptable at 11, 12 or 16 weeks and will bond just fine. I would worry less about the age and more about if the pup has everything you are looking for temp. ect. If you like the pup, like the **** and sire and the breeder has helped you to select the right pup, I say you are on the right track.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
11 week pup are usually ok as long as they were socialized and started with training, its the ones that are 3 to 4 months old that make you wonder why they are still there. I like to keep our pups til at least 10 weeks old and have done everything in our power to make him/her the best that they can be.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I have purchased two slightly older pups both at about that 16 weeks. One was worked with and the breeders daughter played with him a lot and the other, well let's say she lived in a kennel and let out to run around. Neither has bonded less than the pup I got at 8 weeks old. I even purchased an 8 month old that has bonded nicely.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante was 16ish weeks old when I brought him home.
Good thing about the older ones is the bladder is bigger

No trouble bonding here

·
Registered
964 Posts
I got my pup when he was 10 weeks. I had always gotten pups youner. Cooper seemed to adjust quicker and was more confident.

This is also my first GSD so maybe the breed had something to do with it. Either way definately NO trouble bonding.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
10 weeks was also when I got Lucy, and she housebroke so quickly I was amazed. The breeder was serious about socialization, and my puppy as well as the rest of the litter is confident and friendly.
I think there is a general economic problem now that might be why people still have pups left. There are four left from Lucy's litter- they're 15 weeks today. I don't think many people are buying anything right now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
8 weeks, 11 weeks, 2 mos., 12 mos., 2 years, 12 years.
A good god is a good dog, meaning if it has good genetics it will be okay. The older it is then of course the infuence of nurture over nature increases. An 11 week old pup that has good genetics basically no difference w/8 weeks, just a little bit bigger and smarter. :)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i got mikko at 10 weeks and he was housebroken really fast...and defintitely had no trouble bonding!

·
Premium Member
11,244 Posts
I have gotten dogs at 8 weeks, 16 weeks, 5.5 months, 16 months and 4 years old - they all adjust and bond - the one I got at 4 years went from a kennel dog to sleeping on the couch on my feet quite easily!

Lee

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
An 11 week old pup from a good breeder is a wonderful gift to you, especially if those extra three weeks were spent with the litter experiencing things while being handled and socialized. That is what I got with my female, and she was BY FAR the easiest puppy experience I or anyone else I know have ever had.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We thought Reich was about 9 weeks old when we got her. Her date of birth per AKC papers led to that assumption. Upon further thinking, she was more likely 11 weeks old.
Not a little teeny puppy, but she acclimated to the other dog, us, the kids, everyone JUST FINE! She's also been easier being that she doesn't have to pee or poop every 20 minutes lol

She was so good, my mom decided to get a pup again. Wolfgang, her GSD, was 8 wks old when we got him. They're so small and adorable...but more of a pain in the butt IMO.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I got Cherry when she was ten weeks.. I don't think age really matters
As long as their not taken away from Mum too young of course!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I got Bretta at 12 weeks and have to say it worked out well. As long as you trust the breeder and know the puppy has been SOCIALIZED and worked with, it's wonderful (the puppy may even be mostly housebroken!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You all have been so helpful. Thank you for all the feedback.

I just lost my beautiful male and really want to get another right away. I also have sofie (female)

I am just so torn between breeders and types. For instance. The breeder that I got sofie from will have a litter in 3 1/2 weeks. I love sofie ,she is so much fun, full of energy and willing to try and do anything.

The other breeder has shepherds with wonderfully balanced temperaments. great guard dogs with the ability to relax too. He said that they are considered Heidelberg shepherds or the "old style" shepherd.

decisions. decisions.

AH

1 - 20 of 31 Posts