German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so the title kinda says it all actually... My 11 mos pup started limping a couple days ago (Front right paw) First day it was very slight limping we have absolutely no idea how it happened cause the limping was only visible in the morning. There was no swelling or injury and he didn't seem to care at all either kept trying to play and everything. Second day limping was much worse and even though he still wanted to play he kept giving us the front paw so by night we took him to the Vet. He said there's nothing wrong with the paw and gave some antibiotics (He had high fever though and Vet gave medication for that too) today the limp is still very visible and the dog just sleeps around :'(
Am not quite sure what to do Vet said there's nothing serious probably just a sprain but am not convinced... Do they act like this for that? When will it get better? Or should I try a different Vet if the limping continues for couple more days?
Please help am very worried :'(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Most likely he is fine, I would give it time. My pup had a limp at about 6 months of age. It took a little over a week to resolve itself. Was it growing pains? Probably. Could he have tweaked his leg while running around like a jackass? Sure he could have.

Anyhow, I didn't walk him until he seemed mostly better. Then started with only an on leash gentle walk for a few days. Then when he was symptom free we went to the park off leash, working up from just free walking off leash, to some gentle retrieving.

A dog has no way of keeping off of a leg or foot injury, so it takes a while. It's akin to when a human sprains an ankle.

If things don't resolve in another week to 10 days, then I'd take him back to the vet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely he is fine, I would give it time. My pup had a limp at about 6 months of age. It took a little over a week to resolve itself. Was it growing pains? Probably. Could he have tweaked his leg while running around like a jackass? Sure he could have.

Anyhow, I didn't walk him until he seemed mostly better. Then started with only an on leash gentle walk for a few days. Then when he was symptom free we went to the park off leash, working up from just free walking off leash, to some gentle retrieving.

A dog has no way of keeping off of a leg or foot injury, so it takes a while. It's akin to when a human sprains an ankle.

If things don't resolve in another week to 10 days, then I'd take him back to the vet.
I hope so but am still very worried It almost looks as if the limps worse.. And he's an incredibly active pup so it's incredibly worrying to see him lying around :'(

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would think that a combination of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM
Easter C, Turmeric can help in the meantime to ease any pain/inflammation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts