German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has always been a biter. I'm pretty sure it's just playful but it really hurts. It took us forever to get her to stop using us as her chew toys but we finally got her to stop and now out of no where she's started biting all over again. It's getting to the point that no one wants to be in the room with her. My children are out of school so we don't go on regular walks as much but she still gets plenty of exercise with the kids playing with her and she loves to run the fence with our neighbors dog. My husband said he saw new teeth coming in which I suppose could be the problem. We tried doing the time out with her again which seemed to make things worse so I tried the positive reinforcement by giving her a "good girl" and/or treat when she would stop when I tell her to. So far it's not working. Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions on how to fix this? We had actually considered getting another GSD so that she would eventually have a playmate to occupy her but was afraid the age difference might make a problem or having a 2nd dog just might be twice as much trouble. Any opinions on that matter?

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's getting to the point that no one wants to be in the room with her. My children are out of school so we don't go on regular walks as much but she still gets plenty of exercise with the kids playing with her and she loves to run the fence with our neighbors dog.

The above may be why she's biting. She may be frustrated by a change in the routine and missing her walks, and it just gets worse when her people don't want to interact with her. Playing with the kids and fence running might be getting her riled up, not letting off frustration and calming her down. If you could try two good walks a day with her, just you and her, I bet she'd go back to being more relaxed again. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
New teeth coming in at 11 months? Sounds unusual to me, maybe worth a vet check. You also have kids running around and fewer walks, so maybe the kids activity combined with boredom is contributing to her mouthing. Why did you cut back on the walks? If its only the kids, just take them along, we do this all time.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
All new teeth emerge before 6 months. But, it all has a lot to do with teeth and jaw muscles. They need proper exercise. Exactly between 6 months and about a year old, not everyone, but many young dogs find an urge to rip something into pieces and it is better to tell them what they can play with and what they can not. "War-of-tug" is not a game for a child, but your husband can teach your dog to play. Use a natural fibre rope or a piece of canvas and ask your dog to rip it off your hands and then to release it with two commands "Get it!" and "Out!" Use some tasty treat out of your pocket if she's reluctant to give way when outing.
Ask her to carry a heavy toy to the place(s) where you play. It is good not only for her jaw muscles but for her neck muscles as well.
It would be better to occupy her with big raw beef bones she can chew. In small amounts, but daily.
Your problem with biting cannot possibly be just of today. You shouls have taught her out of it much earlier, it would be difficult for you from now on, because this stereotype was built quite a while ago and it will take as long to break it and build a new one. You and your wife are foster parents for your dog and your kids are as her sisters and brothers. Dogs grow faster than humans, she feels herself older than your kids and treats them accordingly, she bullies them as a senior pack member, like some older boys in school bully younger boys. Your children cannot do anything about it, but you can. Call her to yourself every time your child starts complaining and tell her to lie down. She must remain in this position long enough in order to calm down. Soon she will understand the connection between child crying of pain and her new obligation to come to you immidiately and lying down, what she definitely wouldn't like very much at all. But, you know, situations would be many, and it would take time to make her thinking before doing.

·
Registered
31,804 Posts
Exactly WHEN is she biting? Is she playing and getting excited so biting at your hand for the toys? Is she herding the kids and nipping at them? I don't see enough specific information to really respond.

Not enough exercise compiled with the excitement of the kids being home may be your issue.

And no, it's not teething at this age. If your husband saw something funky with her teeth you should probably get that checked out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My dog has always been a biter. I'm pretty sure it's just playful but it really hurts. It took us forever to get her to stop using us as her chew toys but we finally got her to stop and now out of no where she's started biting all over again. It's getting to the point that no one wants to be in the room with her. My children are out of school so we don't go on regular walks as much but she still gets plenty of exercise with the kids playing with her and she loves to run the fence with our neighbors dog. My husband said he saw new teeth coming in which I suppose could be the problem. We tried doing the time out with her again which seemed to make things worse so I tried the positive reinforcement by giving her a "good girl" and/or treat when she would stop when I tell her to. So far it's not working. Is this normal behavior? Any suggestions on how to fix this? We had actually considered getting another GSD so that she would eventually have a playmate to occupy her but was afraid the age difference might make a problem or having a 2nd dog just might be twice as much trouble. Any opinions on that matter?

Cruz is also biter and nipper. Alot of it is due to teething. I try to keep my composure and not get after him too loudly. I correct him by giving him an "EH!" and if he keeps doing it which is 99% of the time, we take a walk to the kennel for a quiet timeout to let him either calm down or reflect. It usually works, when it doesn't he goes right back in the kennel until it works. I try to keep my cool because I don't want him thinking or associating his kennel with punishment. I'm sure they do to an extent, but I don't want him scared of the kennel. So far it's worked out fine and now that we have upgraded to a new kennel, it's afforded us with being able to use his old kennel in another part of the house. We don't have to go clear across the house up three flights of steps and down a hall anymore. The old kennel is primarily for his timeouts now and new one is his secure place even though he doesn't appear to need it.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
The excuse of land shark is no longer valid after 5 months IMHO. Than it comes down to training, management and exercise. By avoiding and ignoring the problem it will get worse. Take her to a couple of good classes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts