German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!
Alright, I posted on Facebook's 'Canine breeder body conformation' or whatever it's called, but I never got the informative replies so maybe you guys can help me out? Talk about the pros of his conformation and the faults?

-11 month old male
-75 pounds(last time I checked, might be 77-80 now) and 25 inches at the shoulder

I understand his eyes are too light for the 'breed standard' but he's no herding dog so I don't really care about that, but here are the photos:

http://i.imgur.com/guxQOQw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YABDtf4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l3driMs.jpg

I'll put more photos in the comments

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I know you aren't asking for compliments but I have to say it ... he's GORGEOUS! I'm sure you'll get answers to your question ... sorry, I don't have that experience to critique. :)

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
can you please load the pictures right to this thread? It's taking forever to load even one picture from your links.

I'm not really understanding your point here.
Talk about the pros of his conformation and the faults?

I understand his eyes are too light for the 'breed standard' but he's no herding dog so I don't really care about that,
If it's part of the breed standard, you want to talk about potential faults but only certain ones? And what does being a "herding dog" have to do with anything? You lost me there.

·
Registered
658 Posts
He has decent shoulder lay back, croup looks nice, and I like his topline. He also has very nice feet. Looks to have very short upperarm, could use more rear(particularly more lower thigh). He lacks bone and has a rather fine/snipey head for a male, weak lowerjaw. Hopefully with his age, that could change when he matures.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you please load the pictures right to this thread? It's taking forever to load even one picture from your links.

I'm not really understanding your point here.

If it's part of the breed standard, you want to talk about potential faults but only certain ones? And what does being a "herding dog" have to do with anything? You lost me there.
Bright eyes are a fault with herding dogs because it can strike fear into the animals:) He happens to have those bright eyes, haha!
And I mean the pros about his structure, plus, the cons about his structure. And sorry- I literally have no idea how x.x Whenever I try it either doesn't show up. or shows up too big

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has decent shoulder lay back, croup looks nice, and I like his topline. He also has very nice feet. Looks to have very short upperarm, could use more rear(particularly more lower thigh). He lacks bone and has a rather fine/snipey head for a male, weak lowerjaw. Hopefully with his age, that could change when he matures.

Thanks!
Haha, weird, I've always been told how much people love his head/expression on other sites.
I must add, he is still rather lanky right now- he is the runt of the litter and I found all of his brothers got pretty filled out... he's getting there, not quite though!:laugh:

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
Bright eyes are a fault with herding dogs because it can strike fear into the animals:) He happens to have those bright eyes, haha!
yeah...um...ok...who told you that?

Light eyes are against the breed standard. Period. BC's, Aussie's have blue eyes and no herding issues. That is not why light eyes are not standard.

USCA/FCI standard
The eyes are of medium size, almond-shaped, slightly slanted and not protruding. The colour of the eyes should be as dark as possible. Light, piercing eyes are undesirable since they impair the dog’s impression.
SV standard
The eyes are medium in size, almond-shaped, somewhat slanted, and not protruding. The color of the eyes should be as dark as possible; light, piercing eyes are not desired, as this detracts from the dog’s expression.
It has nothing to do with herding and everything to do about general appearance. There is no function to the eye standard. It's only relevant to the breed founder's preference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Light eyes are against the breed standard. Period. BC's, Aussie's have blue eyes and no herding issues. That is not why light eyes are not standard.

USCA/FCI standard

SV standard

It has nothing to do with herding and everything to do about general appearance. There is no function to the eye standard. It's only relevant to the breed founder's preference.

I read it on this site a while ago, so I've always assumed that
But okay- but either way, I don't care about his light brown/yellow eyes. I think it is a lot more unique and pretty, in my opinion.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Jax08 said "
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutleyCrue

Light eyes are against the breed standard. Period. BC's, Aussie's have blue eyes and no herding issues. That is not why light eyes are not standard."

if you check the von Stephanitz book , there are comments about eye colour.
Light eyes are wolfy and that is unsettling to the sheep which will make them flighty.

The GSD and the Aussie's are totally different . The GSD is primarily a living fence , keeping the sheep within a defined area , allowing them to graze peacefully , often in urbanized areas .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I like your signature.
I don't understand why you're getting so... I don't know, weird(I can't think of another word) over his eye color to the point of that? I was asking his about conformation, not witty comments- and I even stated I was already aware of his eye faults.

Also, please read carmspack reply to you...

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
I like your signature.
I don't understand why you're getting so... I don't know, weird(I can't think of another word) over his eye color to the point of that? I was asking his about conformation, not witty comments- and I even stated I was already aware of his eye faults.

Also, please read carmspack reply to you...

huh? To the point of what???? Because I posted a smiley to acknowledge your last comment??? Aren't you a rude one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Maybe eye color is a touchy subject for some people. lol!

I don't know much about conformation but I just wanted to comment on how gorgeous your dog is! I too LOVE the look of light colored eyes in GSDs :)
Interesting to know the reason behind the dark eyes being breed standard, I had always wondered.

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
I wasn't touchy. I was wrong. Isn't the first time and won't be the last. I assume for most humans that is the case.

There isn't any reason for anyone to be obnoxious. I was not snarky or "witty" in anything I posted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I don't know much about conformation but I just wanted to comment on how gorgeous your dog is! I too LOVE the look of light colored eyes in GSDs :)
Interesting to know the reason behind the dark eyes being breed standard, I had always wondered.
Thanks!
My sable female has pretty dark eyes! Either Jax is right and it 'impairs the dogs impression' or I was right and it is bad for herding dogs as it can strike fear into the other animals!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts