German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the titles says. Nyx is a few weeks shy of turning one and really hasn't been exposed to small children – we don't have them in the family, friends with small kids live WAY out of state, and I don't know how appropriate it would've been to approach our neighbors with "hey, can you bring your kids over to play with my 60lb land shark?" in a brand new neighborhood (also read: excuses, probably, but that was just the reality of our situation.) I've noticed that she gets super excitable when she hears children's voices or even sees them near us around the neighborhood during walks, and I don't trust that she won't nip if a child approaches, even slowly with my permission, to greet her.

We had an incident where our friends from out of state brought the fam over (3 kids under 4 years old, loud, screaming, running), kept Nyx on the leash, but as one of the younger kids came to her, she lunged forward and nipped, putting a hole in his shirt. Skin was untouched without even a bruise. We have a camera on our patio where it took place and I've watched probably 50 times but I feel too ashamed to post it.

I don't think she's being aggressive but it really doesn't matter, she still nipped and I don't trust her around small kids without a professional. I have been searching for a one-on-one trainer. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? Were you able to correct and overcome it?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Where you located. Good odds that some one here knows a trainer close to you. And post the video. Or send me a PM with a link.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
My input, you've noticed a problem and are working to deal with it. You have a large dog, so I'm sure it would look scary on the video, but don't beat yourself up over it. My guess it that it is a combination of excitement and herding rolled into a big fuzzy ball with teeth. So training is in order, I'm sure like the post above mine that if you list your location you'll receive help and advice. And how about a new picture of your girl.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
When my dog had reactivity to fence warriors and skate boarders, I've immersed her in those environments at a safe distance, calmed and reassured her, rewarded indifference then closed the distance, rinsed and repeat.

I suggest taking your dog to children parks or where ever children play, observe from a distance. If your dog barks or lunges increase the distance, if she's comfortable and curious maybe close the distance. Socialization is exposure not necessarily contact.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I've had very good success using the formula suggested by @ausdland. Many parks have a playground. Take your dog there and use distance as was mentioned to get your puppy used to kids. It works with lots of dogs, but it takes considerable time and patience on your part because it happens at whatever pace your particular dog is comfortable with.

Note too that not all dogs like little kids! Most can be taught to behave appropriately around kids, though some are better off kept crated or penned when little ones are about...it really depends on the dog!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys! I have been taking to her parks and even the pet store more often, started doing so when she bullied one of her younger step siblings, so it's nice to know we're already in the process correcting unwanted behavior. Good news today! Fiancé said he took her to the pet store and she did really well when some younger girls came to pet her.
@cdwoodcox I'm in Michigan, Metro Detroit area.

I actually did try posting the video and it won't allow me to for some reason, but I do have an updated picture!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts