German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new pup 2 weeks ago today. When I first got him, he seemed to adjust very well to his new environment. Just recently (like 2 days ago) he starting doing little crying sounds here and there throughout the day. I feed him three times a day, I take him out regularly to use the bathroom, he has plenty of water and his demeanor is fine! He's playful, his appetite is as good as ever and water consumption is normal, and stool is perfectly healthy! He has toys and balls and all... what I can't figure out is why he keeps crying throughout the day/night?? Vet said he's in good health and is coming up on his third set of shots.

These past 3 nights also he had thrown up what looks to be like regular saliva... (Only once was is very small portion of food) It seems to happen once and then he just goes back to sleep, and always happens to be around 3-5am. (His last meal is at 7:30pm) Help???

My wife says maybe fleas... ideas?

PS - He's 10wks old today

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Have you spoken with your breeder?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Is he over drinking his water? If it is clear sounds like he is drinking too much water. Drinking too much water could be the issue with the vomiting but the drinking of too much water can also be a clue to other issues with things such as pituitary gland issues etc. I would actually measure the amount of water he is given vs what he is drinking and consult with your vet about the intake if it seems excessive.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
For the vomiting problem -Give him a snack before bedtime, it's very common for puppies to throw up in the AM when they haven't eaten in a while.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he over drinking his water? If it is clear sounds like he is drinking too much water. Drinking too much water could be the issue with the vomiting but the drinking of too much water can also be a clue to other issues with things such as pituitary gland issues etc. I would actually measure the amount of water he is given vs what he is drinking and consult with your vet about the intake if it seems excessive.
Well, I fill up his bowl of water about once a day in the mornings... and that seems to be sufficient. His activity level isn't high at all, seeing as how we don't take him for walks or anything due to his incomplete shots. So it's not like we're running him all the time and only give him this bit of water.

He's pretty much inside all day except for bathroom breaks.

His bowl is about 3 cups (liquid) big. And that seems to last him most of the day.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Puppies take time to get used to the crate. Wait it out and keep the experience positive. He will learn that crying gets him nowhere and will learn to settle in the crate. Take him off leash hiking, add in simple obedience lessons, and start socializing - a tired pup is a quiet pup.

Sounds like he has some empty stomach vomiting or bile vomiting early in the morning when his stomach is empty and making him feel queasy so he vomits. Give him a biscuit or a small snack during the night - the vomiting should stop then...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Puppies take time to get used to the crate. Wait it out and keep the experience positive. He will learn that crying gets him nowhere and will learn to settle in the crate. Take him off leash hiking, add in simple obedience lessons, and start socializing - a tired pup is a quiet pup.

Sounds like he has some empty stomach vomiting or bile vomiting early in the morning when his stomach is empty and making him feel queasy so he vomits. Give him a biscuit or a small snack during the night - the vomiting should stop then...
We don't crate him. (I don't know if that's a good or bad thing) He usually just goes to sleep next to me on the floor. Like I said, this has just been recently, other than that, he's been a great pup as well as a joy to have.

Also, I should add that one of the times he threw up it was a small portion of food.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the vomiting problem -Give him a snack before bedtime, it's very common for puppies to throw up in the AM when they haven't eaten in a while.
Do you have a recommended feeding schedule??
The times I feed him now are 8:30am - 1:30pm - and last one is between 6:30-7:30 (depending one what time I get home)

Should I change his feeding times? He's eats 1 (ONE) cup of kibble 3 (THREE) times a day at the above listed times.

I feed him Wolf Cub. Should I also increase his feeding portions?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Do you have a recommended feeding schedule??
The times I feed him now are 8:30am - 1:30pm - and last one is between 6:30-7:30 (depending one what time I get home)

Should I change his feeding times? He's eats 1 (ONE) cup of kibble 3 (THREE) times a day at the above listed times.

I feed him Wolf Cub. Should I also increase his feeding portions?

If his weight is fine, you don't need to increase his feeding portions. And your feeding schedule seems fine. Just give him a small snack a few hours after dinner. You can either reserve some of his food for that time, or give him a biscuit type treat or a small handful of food.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Do you suspect he's crying because of pain? How soon after he eats or drinks is he throwing up?

Has he been dewormed? Did this start suddenly or was it related to anything (vaccinations, him eating something outside, etc.)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If his weight is fine, you don't need to increase his feeding portions. And your feeding schedule seems fine. Just give him a small snack a few hours after dinner. You can either reserve some of his food for that time, or give him a biscuit type treat or a small handful of food.
I took him for his shots last week and he weighed in at 16.040lbs (Not sure whats average or not)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you suspect he's crying because of pain? How soon after he eats or drinks is he throwing up?

Has he been dewormed? Did this start suddenly or was it related to anything (vaccinations, him eating something outside, etc.)?

It doesn't sounds like pain, it kinda just sounds like "whining" (if that makes any sense). Doesn't sound like he's in any kinda pain. He's still playful, and I haven't noticed any change in his demeanor.

His last meal is between 6:30-7:30, and he throws up between 3-5am. Just seems like it's random.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Ok, that's almost certainly because his stomach is empty. Feeding the snack, as has been suggested, will take care of that.

How do you respond when he whines? Gsds are big talkers...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, I meant his weight in terms of how he looks/feels. You should be able to feel ribs, but not see them and he should have a defined waist.

Here's a guide:

Dog Body Condition Score Chart

Oh yeah, I feel his ribs, but they aren't visible.
And his waist is defined (although I had thought that it wasn't supposed to be like that lol)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, that's almost certainly because his stomach is empty. Feeding the snack, as has been suggested, will take care of that.

How do you respond when he whines? Gsds are big talkers...

When I keep him busy like play with him or he's eating or he's even playing alone with his toys he's as happy as can be. It's when I'm not playing with him, or he's not playing with his toys that it seems like he's whining cause he's bored. He just lays from spot to spot every couple minutes and though he can't find a comfortable spot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I took him to the vet yesterday and she suggested exactly what you guys have.

She suggested a snack (about a handful of food) couple hours after his dinner, and that I remove the water from him before going to sleep.

It's been one night so far, but no throw up so far. :)

Thank you guys so much for your advice!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So everything was going great after my last post until last night.

Around 5am this morning I wake up to the sounds of my pup throwing up some saliva looking stuff again. UGH!!!!

The Vets recommendation as well as yours was spot on for a while... no why again the heaving?

It was once, get got that stuff out... and went back to sleep again as though nothing happened. WTH!

Taking to vet today for his 3rd set of shots... and will ask what's up.

Your recommendations are welcome!

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
What are you feeding?
Hans did this a lot until we figured his stomach was irritated because of what we were feeding him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts