German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Northern NJ, hang out in both east and west NNJ, have had Serestro collars on both dogs for over a month and still pulling off ticks that are fat and fed. Not happy, 54 bucks a collar. I am going to call manufacturer and ask how long after removal before I can use Revolution.

ANY natural remedy I have tried has not worked (not that Serestro is natural- I mean historically). The only thing I have ever used on dogs where I did not see ticks was Revolution and Frontline. I treat my clothes with permethrin on my clothing and I don't get bit.

I spent 2 years trying every natural chemical free remedy listed at the time, and they did not work for ticks (never had fleas). I had a 130 pound English Mastiff collapse from Lyme disease, and just this week my 4th friend that I know of has been diagnosed with Lyme Disease. One is far gone and will be on IV meds for a while. (we are in a hot zone)

I know what I have to do, I have to use Revolution. This is just more of a vent/heads up not all products work everywhere type of post.

Very frustrating! It is the very use of chemicals that causes resistance, I know. It seems like the risk here for Lyme warrants using what works, for now. If anyone is in my immediate area (because that matters) and has found something that works, let me know.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Northern NJ, hang out in both east and west NNJ, have had Serestro collars on both dogs for over a month and still pulling off ticks that are fat and fed. Not happy, 54 bucks a collar. I am going to call manufacturer and ask how long after removal before I can use Revolution.

ANY natural remedy I have tried has not worked (not that Serestro is natural- I mean historically). The only thing I have ever used on dogs where I did not see ticks was Revolution and Frontline. I treat my clothes with permethrin on my clothing and I don't get bit.

I spent 2 years trying every natural chemical free remedy listed at the time, and they did not work for ticks (never had fleas). I had a 130 pound English Mastiff collapse from Lyme disease, and just this week my 4th friend that I know of has been diagnosed with Lyme Disease. One is far gone and will be on IV meds for a while. (we are in a hot zone)

I know what I have to do, I have to use Revolution. This is just more of a vent/heads up not all products work everywhere type of post.

Very frustrating! It is the very use of chemicals that causes resistance, I know. It seems like the risk here for Lyme warrants using what works, for now. If anyone is in my immediate area (because that matters) and has found something that works, let me know.
I'm in the same boat as you, s. collars didn't work on dog and cat AND I gave them both comfortis and theyre still crawling with fleas not to mention been treating the indoors/outdoors and vacuuming every single day and been giving flea baths too. We are trying revolution next too hopefully it works. We had a tick problem too but this stuff on amazon has helped https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V75QXEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
still find a few ticks occasionally attached but theyre dead. The reviews are mixed, seems like it works in some regions but some it doesn't.... it works for ticks in Florida at least but not on fleas.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I would contact Bayer and ask for a refund! If you bought through your vet, they should be able to help you.

If all else fails, use NexGard. Your vet should be able to get you a single dose to try. It's not a repellent -- ticks bite and die before they have a chance to transmit disease (which requires a longer attachment).

The same is true of most flea products. They won't ward them off, but they'll kill them all before they can lay eggs and multiply.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Yes, I mentioned in Gandalf's thread that Nexgard works well for us here in East Tennessee. I tried Nexgard after Frontline and Advantage stopped working for us. When I lived in Pennsylvania, we only treated for fleas when and IF we saw a flea. I tried that here in TN, and we had a pretty good infestation our first summer here. I can't remember the last time I noticed a flea or tick on the dogs. Our vet recommends the Seresto collar. They are supposed to last 5-8 months. It'd be nice if they worked, but I haven't tried one yet. I grew up in Maryland, and several of our dogs got Lyme's disease. So awful. One ended up with arthritis pretty bad, and I suspected it was from the Lyme's.

·
Registered
31,487 Posts
I've used seresto since it came out, never a problem. Did you have them on snuggly? Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to hear you’ve had that trouble. The collars have thus far worked great for my pack in Florida. If you think any of the ticks you removed from your dogs may have been present for more than 48hrs you may want to have a SNAP 4dx test run in the future to check for tick borne diseases. Definitely contact the company and let them know about the issues.

Nexgard is a monthly oral option I’ve heard good things about. Bravecto is another longer lasting oral option, but one thing to keep in mind is it is not effective against all ticks for 12 weeks. For Ixodes scapularis (black leg tick/deer tick), dermacentor variabilis (American dog tick) and rhipicephalus sanguineus (brown dog tick) it can last 12 weeks, but it is only 8 weeks for Amblyomma americanum (alone Star Tick)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used seresto since it came out, never a problem. Did you have them on snuggly? Where did you buy them?
Chewy.com. I had it 2 finger width like it said. Funnily enough, they seem to be urban ticks. I haven't pulled them off after being in Sussex Co, Appalachian trail, etc. It's when I am home in Bergen co. Radioactive swamp ticks. Jimmy Hoffa ticks. IDK, finding big ones on them, so they fed without dying first (obviously lol)

I'm contacting Chewy for return instructions. Nexgaurd is a pill? Going to call my vet today to ask about wait period after taking the collar off.

·
Registered
31,487 Posts
Doesn't sound like it was tight enough . It works with friction. You should be able to slide a finger under it to make sure it not choking them.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doesn't sound like it was tight enough . It works with friction. You should be able to slide a finger under it to make sure it not choking them.
Hmm..it was typical collar snugness. And now this morning Valor broke Ruger's lol

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I am trying serestos after last year Vectra made my dogs itch at application site and I was still finding engorged ticks (not a lot, but getting a fat tick with legs still waving after dumping this stuff all over them is disappointing)

Today I got a live feeding tick off my dog. About half full, happy tick. Brand new seresto barely had it on him 1 month. Pretty frustrating.

I am afraid to try orals because my girl has had serious digestive tract problems and my boy has had some too both of which are doing great now but afraid to do it

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Advantix and frontline do very little in my area. Vectra marginally more. Seresto is maybe on par with Vectra, maybe not as good but at least it makes them itch less

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am trying serestos after last year Vectra made my dogs itch at application site and I was still finding engorged ticks (not a lot, but getting a fat tick with legs still waving after dumping this stuff all over them is disappointing)

Today I got a live feeding tick off my dog. About half full, happy tick. Brand new seresto barely had it on him 1 month. Pretty frustrating.

I am afraid to try orals because my girl has had serious digestive tract problems and my boy has had some too both of which are doing great now but afraid to do it
Have you tried this stuff for ticks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V75QXEY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
? Its the only thing that has worked against ticks here.. and you know how FL pests are. Might be worth a shot to try it, they sell smaller cheaper bottles to demo. I apply it before every hike, and I have only ever found 1 or 2 dead tiny ticks attached once in a while, usually none attach. Does nothing against fleas though :rolleyes:

On another note I feel like what works is kind of a regional thing, wonder if most the vets in each area promote a certain product and the pests in those areas develop an immunity, may be why it works in some areas and people swear by it and in other areas its completely ineffective. So many people have sworn by the sorresto collars! I used to swear by comfortis but things must have changed because it doesn't work here anymore.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
No I haven't tried that stuff. I'll try anything once I guess. Except the feed thrus...afraid to do that with all these sensitive stomachs. ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
No I haven't tried that stuff. I'll try anything once I guess. Except the feed thrus...afraid to do that with all these sensitive stomachs. ?

Make sure you spray under the belly, groin area, paws, armpits, tail, etc. really well. It smells like lemons but is so strong... Gandalf hates it I have to hold him still but it works.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I just dosed everyone with Bravecto. It's pricey but it works! Even when we go through tick-central by the river, the dogs are tick free. I took the dog out on this powerline trail in VT and the dogs got insanely tick covered- but all the ticks were dead and shriveled after a few hours because of the Bravecto. It really works!

I tried Seresto and had to return it to Foster and Smith. It did not work at all. They gave me a full refund, no problems at all, good customer service. I donated the collars to the Humane Society.

I know it can be scary to try the orals, but my dogs have never had any sort of reaction at all, and it is the only stuff that can prevent a devastating tick illness. I hope it keeps working, nothing else does.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
That video of the guy spraying the tick isn't very convincing....
Yeah i know I saw that too. I think some areas they must be resistant. It does the trick for us though, Gandalf used to be infested now I never find a single one on him and I am constantly looking! Just get the little bottle and try.. can't hurt. Curious to see if it works for you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts