German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my puppy likes is 2x4's and gatorade bottles. Is it ok to let her chew on cut up 2x4's? I mean she does get little splinters of wood off should i be worried about or does anyone else give 2x4's to there dog to chew on? What about gatorade bottles...

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
2x4's - no.

Plastic bottles, okay up to the point where they are not identifiable as bottles. They pretty much like the crunchy noise. If you ever see your dog actually eating the plastic, stop. My girl likes to take pieces and crunch them in her mouth. She never swallows them, but I take them away from her.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
2x4s i agree are a no. we actually play fetch with plastic bottles. My hubby's dog likes the noise it makes. once they start breaking off pieces the bottle gets taken away.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I wouldn't allow the 2x4s, but our Frenchie's favorite toys are water bottles. I'd just be sure to take the cap and the little ring off, because one time I caught Ozzy chewing on one of the little rings and it was caught on his bottom jaw. I'm just glad it wasn't caught in his throat.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Abby goes nuts over the Gatorade bottles. They are sturdier than
the typical water bottles. Throw a handful of kibble in one and give
it a toss and watch out!

·
Registered
285 Posts
2X4's no. But Niko loved those 0.5L Poland Spring water bottles. In summer I did refill them with water and he had a blast playing with them (only outside).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm with everyone else on the 2x4's! I've never tried plastic bottles with my dogs, maybe I should. Every time I go to the dollar store, however, I come back with a few new stuffed toys for the dogs. They are, after all, a dollar. When I come home and hold up a new toy for them they look at me like, "Holy cow, Mom, you really love us!"...Little do they know how thrifty I am, heh heh. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
When Willow was in the 2-4 month range I put little dog treats in the bottle and it would keep her busy for a long time. It was the most successful dog toy I had that kept her occupied and out of trouble for more than 10 minutes!

·
Registered
262 Posts
2x4s..I'm thinking gum damage, wood splinters in the throat, intestine, etc etc. Definitely something you should avoid.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
What's really funny is when I take my girl for a walk, she'll pick up discarded water bottles on the road. I used to let her until I realized that they were filled with some kind of alchoholic drink. Likely tossed out of the car window by teens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Plush Puppies makes a cover that goes around plastic bottles. It will protect your dog from the sharp pieces of plastic, while still letting them play with the bottle.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bully sticks are doggie crack! My guy gets one every morning so I can have my coffee and relax.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
No on the 2x4s but you can go into the rabbit section of a pet store or tractor supply and buy the larger wooden chews and apple sticks. These are safe for all critters. My shepherds just love these to chew I monitor them and they just chew them up and spit them out. My min pin also does this. Jamie our puppy is addicted to plastic bottles also I take the label off and the plastic ring and cap off. Once it is chewed up real good it goes in the trash. She never swallows any of the pieces but I still closely monitor her with them. Most of your 2x4s are treated and so you don't want to give those to your dogs

·
Registered
184 Posts
ava loves the toys that have water bottles in them. the plush toy protects the bottle. i leave the cap on the bottle if it is in the plush toy so it will hold its shape otherwise it is a plush toy with a flat bottle in it

·
Registered
636 Posts
Minna and Bacca both love water bottles. They both pull the lid off immediately and drop it on the floor and then continue with the rest of the bottle.

Sobacca is actually the funniest to watch with the water bottles. He pulls off the lid, bites a hole in, then drops is on the floor. He then pulls off that little circle thing and usually rips is in half and drops it on the floor. Then he proceeds to peel off the label and leave it in pieces on the floor. And that concludes his fun with the water bottles.
Minna just goes wild on them and bounces all over the house making noise with it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
We got the little things that go on the water bottles since Aiden loves the bottles, and he just tore the poor Uncle Sam to bits and had no interest in the bottle he held inside since it didn't make the noise. It's funny to watch him 'chase' the water bottle. Since his face is so short, sometimes he has a harder time grabbing it and he runs after it and keeps kicking it so it's like he's chasing it. xD

·
Registered
386 Posts
ava loves the toys that have water bottles in them. the plush toy protects the bottle. i leave the cap on the bottle if it is in the plush toy so it will hold its shape otherwise it is a plush toy with a flat bottle in it
that would work if my pup didn't puncture it on the first chomp LOL.... he deflated 2 of my daughters kickballs with just one bite... (and he's doing that to my feet :eek:) but i haven't seen any of those bottle protectors.... he seems to really like grabbing my clothes and dragging them EVERYWHERE!!!
out of ALL the toys ive bought him i cant find a single one that will keep him busy... pig ears seem to quiet him for a bit but leave a mess...
whats a good toy for a 8 week old besides my feet, fingers, pants, and just about everything thats not his toys LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
that would work if my pup didn't puncture it on the first chomp LOL.... he deflated 2 of my daughters kickballs with just one bite... (and he's doing that to my feet :eek:) but i haven't seen any of those bottle protectors.... he seems to really like grabbing my clothes and dragging them EVERYWHERE!!!
out of ALL the toys ive bought him i cant find a single one that will keep him busy... pig ears seem to quiet him for a bit but leave a mess...
whats a good toy for a 8 week old besides my feet, fingers, pants, and just about everything thats not his toys LOL
Unfortunately we don't carry the bottle covers any longer, but if you do a search for plush puppies by kyjen, you should be able to find them.

For the 8 week old...i would look at the Planet Dog, and West Paw Design toys.

Orbo Treat Spot for Pups

Orbee Tuff Snowball
Orbee Tuff Bone Medium
ZogoFlex Hurley Small

We offer a 30-day replacement guarantee on all of the planet dog and west paw toys, so if you pup destroys them you can send them back for a replacement, or store credit.

If you place an order let me know, we have a couple of the bottle covers left in the warehouse. I can have one thrown in with your order. Just shoot me an email. [email protected].

·
Registered
252 Posts
Frozen beef knuckle bones from the butcher! Cheap and dogs love them plus they are super healthy for the dog. Just make sure to keep freezing it over and over again when the dog or puppy is done with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts