German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is my Malinois, Jaxson.

Originally, I never intended on breeding him but he has papers and (after vet checkup) he weights 98lbs.
He has the best temperament / drive of any Mal that I’ve ever seen or been around.

I meet a K9 officer and told the gentleman how big and was, and in disbelief, I met him and both him and other K9 officers and they were amazed.

I feel like it would be a disservice to him to not carry on his genetics and thought I would reach other to others for opinions.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Fawn

·
Super Moderator
6,073 Posts
No offence intended. I'm sure he is a great dog.

There is a reason the standard weight for male mals is 65 pounds at the upper end. Their ability to work diminishes when they get that big. I wouldn't breed an oversized mal.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
What do you mean by "papers after a vet check"? Is he AKC registered? Do you have a pedigree showing 4 generations of Malinois? In Holland they had crossed a Belgian Sheep Dog with a Malinois and the pups were huge, much bigger than either parent and looked more like an oversized black GSD.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
He might be a great dog to you, but 100# is not good or healthy, nor anywhere close to breed standard. There is a reason for having a breed standard. It's to measure all the characteristics and description of what the breed is supposed to be. Not sure why, here in the US, everyone has to think that bigger is better. I think it's an ego thing. My dog is bigger than your dog... With dog breeds, that is absolutely not good.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You really shouldn't breed 100 pound GSD never mind a Mal. This from a guy who loves big dogs.

"I feel like it would be a disservice to him to not carry on his genetics"
It's actually the exact opposite; it would be a disservice to the breed to carry on his genetics.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
1st your Mal is nice looking but way over sized for the breed. You need to look at ABMR (American Belgium Malinois Rescue) so many mals dumped in shelters, on the on the streets due to inexperienced owners not able to give this breed what it needs.
2nd is your Mal health tested, hips elbows, and other genetic issues.
3rd what venue is your dog titled in?
4th what you stated about your fog gives zero reason to breed. Enjoy your dog, but IMO you are not qualified to breed this dog.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
My mals expected weight is around 55-60lbs. He’s ridiculously agile, cat like in some ways, and weird, We absolutely love him just as he is. At a 100lbs much of his capabilities would be diminished, not to mention I’d have to buy a bigger kayak.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have a 100 lb malinois, too. He is quite athletic, agile. He is out of a 63 lb sire/62 lb dam. So he came by his size through some larger males in the bloodlines.

KNPV line malinois can be larger- upper end is around 85 or so. It's not uncommon. However, being 100 lbs is no REASON to breed, in fact it would be a major consideration in not breeding that dog.

Listen, I am going to be very honest here. You breed an untitled, non-health tested, unknown malinois without working malinois community support and without seeking advice about the pairing from those who really know the lines and how they produce- you will very likely produce one of three types of malinois

Type 1: Pet quality. Low drive, no super athletic, not suitable for protection sports. Perhaps you can dabble in agility or dock diving.

Type 2: Fearful nerve bags with very high suspicion coupled with fear. Think the world is all scary- reactive barking, skittish, perhaps their drives are OK but they can't be worked because of all the environmental and social issues.

Type 3: Overly aggressive, very difficult to handle dog with forward aggression and high defense/suspicion. Dogs may be handler aggressive, too. Too much for most Police K9 handlers (who are remember handlers, NOT trainers!), too much or not suitable for sports where dogs need balance. Way too much for pet homes.

And, if the above dogs are 100 lbs---- whooo boy, physically they will be extraordinarily difficult to stop and control.

Now, you have a bunch of 8 month old to a year malinois pups that start going into heat and start showing sibling-sibling aggression and .... it ends badly.

Well bred malinois are incredible, but even there it's a balancing act of temperament, drive, and usable aggression. Breeding especially malinois is way more than just pairing up two dogs of the same breed.

K9 handlers being impressed with your dog means nothing to me unless they are experienced trainers and involved in the selection of working dogs as well. Many K9 handlers I've met know very little about dog evaluation and training. So I wouldn't put much stock by what they say, in general. There are exceptions of course, people like David on the board, and SlamDunc. Listen to what they have to say for sure!

Post the pedigree if you have it- that's a start. What is the dog training in? What do helpers who have worked the dog think?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I recommend making the rounds of your local shelters and seeing how many oversized GS are there. We've had 2; Jake went to 140 and Duke was 133 at his last rabies shot. People do not want puppies that grow to enormous eating machines that clutter up their whole house. The reality is people want dogs they can manage, not wrestle with. We are incredibly thankful Duke is a sweetheart, a gentle giant because we know we could not keep him if he was aggressive. And while your 100 lb pup is beautiful he would not be for everyone, nor would his pups easily find homes. That's why I said visit the shelters, that is where they end up after they are no longer cute, cuddly puppies. Have you gotten a DNA test for your pup? Perhaps he is not as purebred at you think. For some strange reason foolish people try to breed pups for bizarre reasons, like coat or size or color without any consideration for the dog or the breed. There are already breeders of King Malinois dogs so you would be in competition for sales and have to go through all the kerfuffle of breeding and guaranteeing your pups. Have you researched you state's laws? etc. etc., etc.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As the owner of an oversized German Shepherd from a backyard breeder, I have to say please don't breed him.

I love my dog. He is a great companion.... But I am pretty sure most people would have dropped him off at a shelter years ago and turned around and gotten another dog they could not handle.

He is highly reactive. After over a year and a half of work, we still move 20-25 feet off the sidewalk when an unruly dog passes. At two years old he can handle most calm dogs, but if a dog jumps at him unexpectedly, he goes berserk. Every_single_time we encounter a dog we still go through a reactive dog routine.

His prey drive is incredible. So much so that no one else in my family wants to walk him. They are concerned they won't be able to handle him if he sees a critter.

Maybe an experienced trainer could have worked through these issues better than I did. But experienced trainers aren't going to be looking for dogs from a backyard breeder. So the pups will go to a home where the trainers and owners don't know what they are getting into.

Finally, add the size. 40% bigger than standard mean 40% more dog to deal with when you are working through these issues.

My next German Shepherd is going to be a pocket rocket from a reputable breeder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts