German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is heartbreaking and should go to show that something like this can happen to any dog owner.

Kids will be kids so it’s not the little boy’s fault in any way, shape, or form. Doesn’t matter what he did (if anything)- he’s nine years old and it’s the job of adults to protect him. Dogs will be dogs and it’s the job of the owners to keep them safe and out of trouble. IMHO the two should only mix under supervision- period.

I’m not a parent and I don’t have any neighborhood kids running around so that may be why I have a hard time empathizing with the owners on this one. What on earth are they thinking? From the video it’s pretty clear that they don’t have a fence in their front yard (where the trampoline is) and it looks like they don’t have one in the back either. Why was he loose with company over in the first place? With kids coming in and out and the chances of the door being left open and no fence to boot….. It’s just asking for trouble in so many different ways.

In their place I would have this dog put to sleep without protest. In fact I wouldn’t even hesitate and the appointment would be made for the day the quarantine is over. The boy’s wounds are pretty serious and I’d fear for the safety of others in the future- especially with children living in the house. I’ll bet the dog isn’t mean or ‘vicious’ as the news called him but it’s not worth the risk that someone else could get hurt.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i`m sorry that happened to the 9 year old, sad, very sad, and I blame the owners of the GSD regardless of how it happened, my Max is very well trained and a TDI dog, 3 things my instructor taught us, #1 dont trust`em, #2 dont trust`em, and #3 dont trust`em, and that applies to ALL breeds, I never assume anything when Max is around people and I`m always watching his demeanor when were interacting with people, even though he has never and maybe never will make an aggressive move towards anyone, I would never trust him

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Kids will be kids so it’s not the little boy’s fault in any way, shape, or form. Doesn’t matter what he did (if anything)- he’s nine years old and it’s the job of adults to protect him. Dogs will be dogs and it’s the job of the owners to keep them safe and out of trouble. IMHO the two should only mix under supervision- period.

Ditto!

I've even had children walking into my house when we weren't home- just the dogs (including a foster GSD)-, but still, they didn't attack anyone. But I learned to lock my door after I found out.

My guess would be that the dog got totally agitated of the boy jumping on the trampoline. As soon as he got the chance to get out, he attacked.
I have kids coming over all the time and we all go out and they play with the dogs, but my dogs don't get irritated or teased by other children. I trust them 100%, but I still always supervise- you just never know.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
kids are kids. When I was four and my sister was six and my brothers were eight and ten, they got me through the milk chute of the neighbors house. I unlocked the door and we helped ourselves to the cola in their refrigerator.

Some dogs would not attack a four year old that breaks into their home. Some would not attack a six year old. But somewhere you have to draw a line.

I am not saying that this child did break into the home, it sounds like he did not, but if he did, would the grandmother still want the dog euthanized. She says if a dog bites a human, euthanize it. Sorry, but I cannot disagree more.

We did not break into the person's house on the other side. They had what appeared to be a gigantic GSD named Condor. Everyone knew Condor and kids even my age kept their distance.

The gas station often had two GSDs: King and Queenie and later Duke and Duchess, there was also a Prince. Their field was not fenced in. King did bite my brother as he walked down the sidewalk toward our house. There was no irate parent, no lawsuit, no retaliation, and no euthanizing of the dog. We knew King could be mean and stayed away from him.

I guess my point is that we generally say "Good Dog" when we hear of one of our own that does his job when he is called upon. Generally the perp is an adult. We cannot expect our animals to differentiate between children and adults when faced with a trespass though. So which is it? Will we euthanize a dog that attacks a child if the child is committing a trespass of some sort within the dogs home? And is there an age under which the animal is liable regardless to circumstances?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Is there an age when children should take the blame when they are bit by a dog? I would say it is way past 9 years old. It would be the point when a child can understand and reason their way through the logic and have enough self control not to turn around 5 seconds later and do what their parents just told them not to do. It worries me to see people sticking up for dogs and not doing the same for children. What the heck is that about? It’s the responsibility of all adults to protect children they come in contact with. I know it doesn’t always work out that way but it should and if someone can’t do that then they don’t need to put themselves into a position where they are responsible for the welfare of other people’s kids.

My brother was bitten by a GSD when he was 7 years old. He went to a friend’s house and opened the door without knocking and went in. The family knew him and he knew the dog so he didn’t think twice about it. The dog gave him a small bite with the very tip of his teeth on his arm that required 3 stitches for his lack of manners. Was this understandable? Sure. The dog didn’t do anything wrong under these conditions and didn’t overdo the bite like what happened to the other kid. I should say that my brother didn’t do anything wrong either- he was just reasoning like a child. It ended up being a teachable moment for all concerned. My brother learned that there are real consequences for going into people’s houses uninvited and the owners learned that they shouldn’t leave their door unlocked if they planed to continue letting their kids have friends over. Everyone apologized to each other and we all lived happily ever after. That kind of an incident shouldn’t cost a dog his life or become something that gets run through the court system.

Something like what happened here should IMHO. This bite would fall under the category of excessive force if we were to use our own legal terms. It’s over the top in Dogdom too… It’s a shame that it happened at all but it did happen and now it’s time to pay up. It just goes to show that we should be careful of what we wish for. So many people get GSDs for ‘protection’ of home and property. Why I wonder is this so important to people? Just having one is enough of a deterrent to get the job done. In my case, my dogs are all crated when I’m away from home or can not keep an eye on them. It’s as much for their protection as it is for other people. Frankly, my stuff isn’t worth the risk of having anyone injured on accident or having my dogs pay the ultimate price for biting an intruder.

On the flip side of the coin, if I were ever bitten by someone else’s dog I would do my best to be as understanding as possible. My reaction would depend greatly on whether or not the owners did their best to socialize the dog and what they did in the way of management to prevent it from happening in the first place. The same would apply if it happened to my child. I have to say though that if anyone was bent on trying to pin a bite on my kid for doing what kids do while excusing the dog for doing what dogs do, my tolerance wouldn’t be very great at all. I’d make sure the people knew better before everything was said and done, even if I had to drag it out into court. That’s saying a lot because I’m not a sue happy person.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
The fact that the dog knew your seven year old brother may have had something to do with the fact that he only got a minor bite.

What I was asking is if a brat came into a home uninvited as I and my brothers and sister did, met a dog we did not know, and got bit up for our tresspass, should the dog be expected to know and not bite kids? I really think not.

Even at four and five years old we knew enough NOT to enter a house or property that had a formidable dog.

I am not home right now. My Arwen is loose in my home. If a ten year old kid comes into my home and she bites him, my dog will not be euthanized. If the kid needs 100 stitches to repair his face, arms and legs, my dog will not be euthanized.

There is a point where I need to control my dog, and a point where a parent or guardian needs to control their charge. The dog can't check the age on an id card and shouldn't be expected to.

As for crating dogs when you are not there to protect the dogs from the burglars, well, you have to do what you feel is right. I heard of a group of people going into a house and torturing to death the puppies in the house. I think that dogs in crates are easy targets for villians. True most burglars hear the barking and find another residence to victimize. Someone who comes in with a gun and is not afraid to use it might just do so to shut the animal up. The only thing you got going for you, if you have neighbors close enough to hear a gunshot (which I really do not), is that a gunshot is more likely to draw attention than a barking dog. But people who rob houses are not nice guys. I personally wouldn't want to leave my dog gift wrapped for them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Kids are just so unpredictable. I was just out side when a little girl out of no where hit my 60 pound puppy on the head.

The mother was appalled and admonished the 8 yr old. Her reasoning was the pup sniffed her carrot. Never saw that coming!

It really bothered Quincy. He wanted away from her immediately.

I agree with the grandfather of the VICTIM! If any of my dogs bite a child and break the skin then I will euthenize. God forbid but children come first .

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
I agree if the kids are out and about in and around your home with you and your dogs. But if a kid came into your house unawares would you euthanize your dog if it bit them?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am going to weigh in on this one. I have kids and my kids have friends that are over our house constantly. Yes, I supervise my dogs when other kids are around. I would have to say that if my kids just nipped or bit someone I would probably not have them put to sleep. Over a 100 stitches on the face??? That's a different matter. I would have the dog put to sleep in a minute. A dog that would tear a kids face up like that doesn't seem very stable to me. Our Chessie (10 yrs old) doesn't like little kids very much. If he is in the yard and they are in the yard he stays clear of them. We are always there to supervise also. He has never attempted to bite a child though. He just runs the other way if he thinks they are too close to him. That is acceptable behavior, if he would chase one down and bite them he would be put to sleep too.

Controversial Idea:
Why does anyone need a dog for protection?? Get a gun.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzerThe fact that the dog knew your seven year old brother may have had something to do with the fact that he only got a minor bite.
Maybe, maybe not. It could also be because the dog wasn't completely unfamiliar with him. It could have been the time of day, the direction of the wind, the phase of the moon, or the season of the year. Who can say for sure? Until we have a mind reading device for dogs we can only guess. I used this story as an example and in context with the original story about dogs living with neighborhood kids visiting their home. It also made a good example for a minor bite incident vs the more serious one that happened here. Things worked out in this situation because it wasn't a serious injury and both sides were able to reach an understanding in a civil manner.

Originally Posted By: selzerWhat I was asking is if a brat came into a home uninvited as I and my brothers and sister did, met a dog we did not know, and got bit up for our tresspass, should the dog be expected to know and not bite kids? I really think not.

Even at four and five years old we knew enough NOT to enter a house or property that had a formidable dog.
Times have changed so much that what a child knows varies so widely that it’s not even humorous. Common sense isn't common anymore and many parents don't spend time with their kids let alone teach them how they should behave or what happens in the real world. Turn the news on any given day and that much is pretty obvious. It's dangerous to assume any child truely knows better anymore.

Originally Posted By: selzerI am not home right now. My Arwen is loose in my home. If a ten year old kid comes into my home and she bites him, my dog will not be euthanized. If the kid needs 100 stitches to repair his face, arms and legs, my dog will not be euthanized.
I've read about Arwen on the boards and I happen to think she's a fine example of the breed and by the way you talk about her I'll bet she's one of your favorites. When incidents like this occur they tend to find their way into the court system and the choice isn't always left up to the owners on what happens to the dogs. I hope the choice would be yours to make.

For this dog in this case it’s in the best interest of the family to euth him IMO. A civil suit could wipe them out. Also from the tape it doesn’t look like they have a fence so they are going to have an issue keeping this dog away from children if they tried to keep him. No one is going to give this dog a third chance should he ever bite another child and they have children of their own living in the house. If it’s unreasonable to expect a dog not to bite any child whatsoever- is it then reasonable to turn around and expect a dog that has bitten to never do the same to children living in the home?

Originally Posted By: selzerThere is a point where I need to control my dog, and a point where a parent or guardian needs to control their charge. The dog can't check the age on an id card and shouldn't be expected to.
I really wish parents were more responsible with their children and I cheer when negligent parents go to jail for their stupidity. As adults though, we are responsible for other people’s kids that are in our lives whether we like it or not- hence the law suits when they get hurt on our property.

I’d also be curious to know what the legal age is for trespassing. Does anyone know?

Should dogs be expected to know better then to bite a child? I personally don't think so. I’ll say it again- supervision and containment.

Originally Posted By: selzerAs for crating dogs when you are not there to protect the dogs from the burglars, well, you have to do what you feel is right. I heard of a group of people going into a house and torturing to death the puppies in the house. I think that dogs in crates are easy targets for villians. True most burglars hear the barking and find another residence to victimize. Someone who comes in with a gun and is not afraid to use it might just do so to shut the animal up. The only thing you got going for you, if you have neighbors close enough to hear a gunshot (which I really do not), is that a gunshot is more likely to draw attention than a barking dog. But people who rob houses are not nice guys. I personally wouldn't want to leave my dog gift wrapped for them.
This is probably the only comment that I made that deserves the harsh criticism here and it doesn’t really apply to this story or topic. I’m not trying to say that I’m protecting them from burglars per say. My original thought was more along the lines of kids being kids and coming over when I wasn’t home. A locked door is as good a deterrent as a crate is in such cases.

There isn’t much more I can do then lock my dogs in my house when I leave home to protect them from anyone that’s out to hurt them. I don’t live my life in fear of what people might do to me though. I just do everything I can to make it as difficult as possible for the bad guys to succeed. Villains and whack jobs are interchangeable in this example and there’s not much you can do to really stop some one bent on causing another person this kind of pain.

As for people breaking in- I too live off by myself and I know that a barking dog isn’t going to draw attention. Neither is a gun shot for that matter. Burglars in my case wouldn’t have a problem cleaning out the house without having to get any where near the dogs in their crates. They better wave on their way back out though…. Neighbor is a PI and the end of my driveway happens to be under surveillance!

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
I think that if you have kids, and neighborhood kids over your house all the time, your dog will be a lot less likely to bite and especially seriously bite a child walking in to your home.

I have no kids and never have children over. So if a kid decides it will be fun to check out what is inside my house, my dogs would be much more likely to bite them.

I rarely have anyone over my house, and Nobody just walks right in. My family seems to have a healthy respect for my choice in dogs, which is perfectly ok with me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:I’d also be curious to know what the legal age is for trespassing. Does anyone know?

Each state is different. In Texas legal age for prosecution of a child is 10 years old.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
when I first started this thread I was just sharing what I thought was only current news concerning a german shepherd dog. Later, when I determined the identity of the dog I stated I would find out what happened and share that also. Here is what I understand now to have happened and the resolution.

I'm talking about a Grand Champion 4-h obedience champion 2x
(I know, not quite the same as Sch)
(Also the winner of several other shows locally entered)
Happy, well loved, the pride of a young teenaged boy's life
(A young man that worked an entire summer building fence and doing farm chores to take this puppy home and raise)
A dog that was fiercely loyal and proud of the family that raised him

The dogs, Keesha and Boomer, were always kept in the house and there was no children allowed playing in the house, only outside in the yard.
Although the boy says he was attacked outside the home, all of the blood was INSIDE the home.
The injuries the boy sustained were the result of ONE bite.

The lady owner is so grief stricken she is considering public speaking presentations to help educate people on keeping your pets responsibly secure and out of harms way. She doesn't blame the child, after all he's a child, in her words. She doesn't blame her dog, he did what dogs do, and she viewed her dogs as her children too, and feels somehow she's responsible and let down the kid and her dogs. Here I must say that all the kids knew they could play outside on the fun trampoline, but DO NOT go in the house. I stated earlier I know these people and this lady is an excellent mother and person and works hard to safeguard kids and pets.

Despite all that.........
Since the media was now starting to camp outside
Phone threats were increasing

A huge mess of pork chops were fried, the dogs loved chops, and after enjoying that treat, the dogs and the grownups went for a day to a county next door and found some place that was new to the dogs and owners alike and made a day of it in the woods
At home that evening after some pics and tears, an injection of a sedative preceded an injection to still the hearts of two wonderful dogs that were truly good and loved, but victims non the less.
I'm incredibly proud and happy to call these people my friends and to be able to know folks like these. I an very sad for their loss even though I am sure they did all that's possible to safeguard their dogs and the kids.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
they euthanized both dogs? Did the other dog have anything to do with the attack?

Im sorry but i have to disagree here, if the blood was in the house, then the kid was in the house. Sounds to me like the adults clearly forwarned the children to play outside only. Yes the dog should not have bit the child, but like others have posted before, at what point to dogs learn to bite only a certain age group? they dont! So if the child intruded on the dogs space, then i dont see why they were PTS.

like really, how many dogs are their in shelters and rescues that have bites on their cards? not many i know, but they do exist and can be reabilitated. this case is just a mess.

·
Registered
32,385 Posts
I do not even know if the dog needed rehabilitation. The dog was guarding the house. Some little intruder comes barging in and the dog lets fly with its teeth one time. Death!!!! One bite and you put down TWO dogs??? Are you kidding me????

The only real issue I can see is getting home insurance after the lawsuit.

I am sorry, but I am shocked and saddened by this. The owner is right to say that she let down her dogs. She folded to the pressure of reporters that were camped there. Camped there for what??? One bite? I do not get it. All because one impassioned grandparent went to town with the newspaper.

We dog owners must pay close attention to this. It is always after some child gets mauled or killed by a pitt bull that people trot out breed specific legislation. If we are going to have a breed of dog that IS on many lists already, we have to be willing to fight to clear our dogs if they are not guilty.

Biting a child that does not belong to a household, that comes into that household unannouced and uninvited should not be held against a dog that has the mentality of a two or three year old. How utterly rediculous in my opinion.

When my nephew was seven years old, my mother caught him down in the landing with their English Setter. The kid had his hands clutching the poor dogs ears. The dog was shaking (his ears were always problematic). My mother recalled that the dog, who normally loved people would go and hide when this kid was there. Shortly after this incident, the kid's 5 month old puppy put a sizeable bite all over the kids face. I think he will be scarred. My brother and his wife still have the kid and the pup, partly because they do not know what the boy did to the pup to make it bite him. We are talking about a seven year old here. A seven year old is old enough to understand instructions, and old enough to irritate and even torture an animal and DESERVE to be bitten. And the kid in the incident was nine? What was he slow?

Putting down two dogs because one child did an incredibly stupid thing is a crime. Some people should stick to owning gold fish.

I played into all that crap about the day in the park and then the needles nicely. I hope the OP is happy. But I wouldn't call people that did this my friends, if everything went down the way that they said. Even if the dog flew out of the house and bit the child in the yard, why put down the second dog? How can you live with your dog for years and drop them like that? These people have children? Poor things.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I can see why you are angry about the dogs death, but STILL. We weren't there and noone really know what exactly happend in that moment.

So what, the people told the kids not to come in the house. The people have children as well, who have friends over. Every watch a group of kids that age play? They don't "think" carefully about everything they do and can't be expected to. Thats why parents supervise.

IF I invite friends over so my daughter has someone to play with, and I'm not sure how my dog might react so some of them, guess what, its my responsibility to lock up that dog. I cannot expect some 9 year olds to be responsible enough to remember not to set one foot in the house, while they are there playing with my kids. How ridiculous is that anyway.

With rules like that, and such serious repercussions possibly if one child might have to use the toilet real bad and forgets the golden rule...crap, they set themself up for trouble. I do blame the owners. I would never allow other kids over and then not expect them to EVER set foot in the house, or risk that if they do (kids will be kids) they might have to pay for it with their face.

And if my dog produced such a vicious mauling, one bite or not, having that face half ripped off is a mauling, it would be dead. Sorry, if I can't trust my dog enough not to ripp off a friends of my daughters FACE for simply coming into the house, that pretty bad.

Of course a dog has no "ID" card, but no dog that lives in a normal/busy household with kids should be THAT aggressive and defensive, to go for the kill based on a kid entering.

I wouldn't even want a dog like that, I couldn't live with it that a child might have lost her life for the terrible crime or coming inside, perhaps to ask me something, to go to the bathroom or to simply say "hi"/

As to them doing all they possibly could to keep the dogs and kids safe.

They did what? They left the dogs loose in the house and they told the kids not to go inside the house.

hm, what if a dog slipped out with one of the owners kids or got the door open? They trusted a bunch of small kids to mind that rule no matter what?

Obviously they knew the dogs could be trouble or they wouldn't have even set up THAT rule. In that case there was a whole lot more they could have done to keep everyone safe.

But hindsight is always 20/20 and they paid for this dearly, so did the dogs and CERTAINLY the poor kid as well.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Originally Posted By: tibvixie101
Im sorry but i have to disagree here, if the blood was in the house, then the kid was in the house. Sounds to me like the adults clearly forwarned the children to play outside only. Yes the dog should not have bit the child, but like others have posted before, at what point to dogs learn to bite only a certain age group? they dont! So if the child intruded on the dogs space, then i dont see why they were PTS.
The adults should know better that children (just like puppies) can't be trusted 100% with "rules".

The owners obviously already knew "something" about the dogs, to even have that rule. And they should have done more then simply tell the kids to stay out, to fullfill their role as supervising adults that have dangerous animals near children.

Its like having a lion in a unlocked room and you tell some kids, don't go into that room.

Would you walk away, or would you first LOCK THE DOOR and then walk away?

And if you didn't lock it and a child was "stupid" enough to go in anyhow, would you say "to bad" I told him not to.

Its sad and tragic all around, but the owners were the adults here and in charge of both dogs and children (of whom neither can be trusted to follow rules to the t) There was just to much at stake for them not to have more safety measures in place, such as lock up the dogs while kids are running all over (after determining the dogs are bad with them)

21 - 40 of 89 Posts