German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called and got a subscriber's password and read the entire story which I copied here.

A Columbus boy attacked by a German shepherd needed more than 100 stitches to mend bite marks across his face.
Jakob Kelso, 9, said he was leaving a neighbor's home on Pence Street Thursday when the German shepherd bolted from the house and jumped on him outside.
The dog chewed on Jakob's face, tearing away skin, knocking out a permanent tooth and splitting his nose.
"I stood up and tried to run away, but I couldn't," Jakob said Monday. "I tripped, and the dog got me."
The official story from authorities says Jakob went inside the dog owner's home and was attacked, although he did not engage the dog. "There are a couple conflicting reports, but the evidence indicates the dog was in the house from statements by varying people," said Kevin Konetzka, director of Animal Control. The dog's owner, Deborah Cash, declined to comment. Jakob's brother, Jordan, said he and his brother had been jumping on the trampoline at the Cash residence at 211 Pence St. when he realized they needed to go home around 8 p.m. Jordan said he was a few steps ahead of Jakob, who had stopped to put on his shoes outside the house. "I heard the scream, so I ran down there," Jordan said. One of the boys who lived at the Cash house tried to stop the dog, Jakob said.
"The dog jumped over his foot and ran at me," he said.
Jakob said the next thing he remembers is waking up in an ambulance.
He had to undergo a roughly two-hour surgery, which included sewing 35 stitches to close wounds below the skin and 100 more to connect the skin back to his face.
Jakob, a third-grader at Fodrea Community School, will miss a week of school recuperating inside his mother's apartment.
Konetzka said the dog has a valid rabies vaccination, noting that another officer spoke to the dog's veterinarian.
The dog must be quarantined inside the Cash's residence for 10 days and be walked on a leash.
Officers will do routine checks at the residence and speak with the dog owners to make sure they are following the quarantine order.
Jakob's mother, Annie Kelso, said she thinks the dog could attack again.
"There's other kids that live around this neighborhood," Annie Kelso said. "If that dog can do it to my kid, he can do it again."

The really sad part of this whole thing is this is Greta's brother. I know this dog (or thought I did) and didn't see this coming.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Who knows what really happened. Sad for the child. And the dog will probably be PTS.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I know we love our dogs and would like to think that they could never do anything like that, but ... you just never know.

And ... you can never be too safe. For the most part, I trust my dogs, but I would never trust them 100% around any kid - especially not my. It is very sad and the kid will probably be afraid of dogs, especially GSDs, for the rest of his life and the dog will probably be PTS.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally Posted By: JAguirreI know we love our dogs and would like to think that they could never do anything like that, but ... you just never know.

And ... you can never be too safe. For the most part, I trust my dogs, but I would never trust them 100% around any kid - especially not my. It is very sad and the kid will probably be afraid of dogs, especially GSDs, for the rest of his life and the dog will probably be PTS.
I don't understand you not trusting your dogs 100%. I get it with some - take my situation.......Tucson (RIP) I would never leave him with kids or other dogs as I did not trust him completely. Tripper - I do not trust him 100% either, especially with his recent behavior with Bosley.

BUT, Lexi and Bosley would never hurt a fly. I would trust them with anyone, anytime, anyplace.

Are you saying you don't trust your dogs because of behavior you have witnessed or just any dog in particular? I am not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand what you are saying.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Until a dog is capable of understanding right and wrong at a moral level I will never trust ANY dog 100%.

Heck, I don't trust people that much either!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think it's a good idea not to trust your dogs 100%. as friendly as my dog is with children, adults, cats, horses, i would never leave him alone with any of them. maybe it's more of don't trust the situation. don't leave your dog in a room or in a yard with a child. don't leave your dog in a pasture or barn with horses. do i think my dog will do something bad, no i don't but i don't risk it. i don't leave my dogs in the yard unattended. yeah, i let them out and i'll go and put a load of laundry in the washer but then i go right back to them and my yard is completely fenced in but i feel better keeping an eye on them. i can leave my dog in front of the local store and he stays. i ask people to go up to him and pet him and then pick up his leash and try to get him to move, he doesn't. now i'm standing in the store looking at him. now i do this for training to stay but i would never go into the store and purchase something because then i couldn't see him. i love my dogs. i don't want anything to happen to them and i don't want something unwanted happening to someone else. trust them 100% as long as you can see them.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
even if they understand right from wrong at a moral level doesn't mean they're going to make the right decision, people don't. i'm agreeing with you. don't trust them 100%.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
So did the kid go inside the dog's home?

If this is the case, can we really expect our dogs to attack adult tresspassers and leave child tresspassers alone?

If the child was walking down the street and the dog tore out of the house and attacked the child without provocation, then he probably does need to be PTS. Sorry.

What a bummer story for GSDs.

The child says that he tried to run which is understandable, but a problem. Still the dog did not go for the feet or legs, it went for the face. And the amount of stitches required -- Most GSDs can give a healthy bite, but generally they bite once or twice, but do not maul, not unless they are specifically trained to attack and continue to attack until they are given the command to stop. A dog that mauls like this is probably better off PTS. Or at least it is probably better for everyone concerned, even the owners.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I agree with you on this one, and have a nicely trained European GSD. But as the best advisor I know told me after evaluating Timber. He is a great and well tained European GS male. But under no circumstances should you ever put him in a position in which he will become overly aggressive.

As for the specific attack. I cannot imagine a decently trained and "Normal" shepherd attacking in the manner described.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: selzerSo did the kid go inside the dog's home?

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I don't know yet, ( i started this thread before I realized this was Greta's brother) but I will.
Great people, salt of the earth, and very good with their pets. I will go out on a limb and surmise the dog was in the house and the boy somehow instigated this or found himself somewhere he'd been told to not be. I have spent enough time with this family to know how they treat guests visiting. The dogs are put up. If I find out otherwise I'll fess up and be honest but I'm standing up for some very decent folks.
The fact the family has Boomer speaks volumes in my opinion about how the incident is being reviewed by the authorities.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When ya'll say not to trust the dog around children, do you mean your own kids? Mine are getting older and my youngest is almost 8.

What bothers me is neighborhood children that come around to play. Chloe is always on leash or inside BUT you never know. When these kids play in my yard with my children, I allow Chloe to socialize with them, to know that kids are okay. She has never been aggressive with people YET but she is only 7 months.

I would like to find a "balance". I want her to be leary of strangers, for protection reasons, but not to the point where she would attack for no reason.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would think if she is being socialized your risk for an unprovocated attack is MUCH lower, so you're doing good.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally Posted By: ACSI don't understand you not trusting your dogs 100%. I get it with some - take my situation.......Tucson (RIP) I would never leave him with kids or other dogs as I did not trust him completely. Tripper - I do not trust him 100% either, especially with his recent behavior with Bosley.

BUT, Lexi and Bosley would never hurt a fly. I would trust them with anyone, anytime, anyplace.

Are you saying you don't trust your dogs because of behavior you have witnessed or just any dog in particular? I am not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand what you are saying.
I am saying that I don’t trust any dog 100%. Even the best trained dogs may react on instinct at times – nothing personal is meant by it – it’s just the way it is. A warning bite that makes contact might have been relaying a message of “quit blowing in my face” and would be considered a vicious attack by the public – even though it was only a provoked warning. If I can’t be there to supervise how people are acting around my dogs, then I can’t trust my dogs 100%.

I have 4 children aged (gasp) 14 to 26 years, and all have been raised around GSDs. They’ve been taught to respect our dogs for what they are and are well aware that while they seem almost human, they aren’t. I trust my dogs with my kids because my kids know how to respect them and how to handle them. None of these dogs has given me any reason to be concerned, however from experience I’d rather err on the side of caution.

The experience I have referred to was a result of a dog bite to my own face by my own dog (an Aussie) which required 87 stitches. There was no provocation and I’d had the dog for its entire life – a little over 3 years. Looking back, there were signs that the dog was sketchy, but not aggressive. I trusted him implicitly and assumed he wouldn’t hurt a fly.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
With my own kids, I trust Morgan 100%. It's other peoples kids I don't trust with my dog!

Morgan always wears a leash when my kids have friends over. Rather be safe than sorry if another boy push fights one of my boys, boy cries, Morgan goes into protection mode then I'd have 2 hurt children and a subsequent lawsuit. It's just common sense.

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaWith my own kids, I trust Morgan 100%.
No dog should ever be considered 100% safe around any kids.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally Posted By: JAguirre
Originally Posted By: ACSI don't understand you not trusting your dogs 100%. I get it with some - take my situation.......Tucson (RIP) I would never leave him with kids or other dogs as I did not trust him completely. Tripper - I do not trust him 100% either, especially with his recent behavior with Bosley.

I am saying that I don’t trust any dog 100%. Even the best trained dogs may react on instinct at times – nothing personal is meant by it – it’s just the way it is. A warning bite that makes contact might have been relaying a message of “quit blowing in my face” and would be considered a vicious attack by the public – even though it was only a provoked warning. If I can’t be there to supervise how people are acting around my dogs, then I can’t trust my dogs 100%.

I have 4 children aged (gasp) 14 to 26 years, and all have been raised around GSDs. They’ve been taught to respect our dogs for what they are and are well aware that while they seem almost human, they aren’t. I trust my dogs with my kids because my kids know how to respect them and how to handle them. None of these dogs has given me any reason to be concerned, however from experience I’d rather err on the side of caution.

The experience I have referred to was a result of a dog bite to my own face by my own dog (an Aussie) which required 87 stitches. There was no provocation and I’d had the dog for its entire life – a little over 3 years. Looking back, there were signs that the dog was sketchy, but not aggressive. I trusted him implicitly and assumed he wouldn’t hurt a fly.
Thank you very much for the explanation - that makes total sense.

I, too was raised to respect all animals, but not everyone is. I should respect that to protect my dogs from putting them in a situation where they potentially could act out.

Again, thanks for your time with the explanation.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
WOW the poor child. Now I have a different perspective on Rocky playing with kids. He has never been agressive toward any family or friends and he seems to be very gentle with the litter ones (youngest is 2-1/2 niece). From now on I will make sure that DH or I supervises his playtime with any child.

I would hate for him to get hurt and try to defend himself or attempt an alpha role over a child.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I trust Pippy 100% around any kids. He is an English Setter. Someone would have to jump on him to make him bite. My own dogs are not raised around kids so no, I do not trust them. If the kid is quiet and well behaved and I am only dealing with one of my dogs and there are no extenuating circumstances, then maybe I will let my dog be petted, otherwise, it is not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was in the "Letters to the Editor" section of the hometown newspaper this incident occurred in.

Justice not done in attack by dog

Received: March 23
My grandson was attacked by a German shepherd March 20. He is 9 years old. It took 100 stitches to close his face up. He might need another operation later down the road.
Here's my problem: Why didn't animal control take the dog? We were told because it happened on the dog's property they couldn't take the dog.
Animal control never once talked to my grandson or his brother who was there. They did talk to the owners of the dog, which by the way has changed their story twice to my daughter.
It shouldn't matter if it happened inside the house or outside the house the dog attacked my grandson. He is dangerous.
Plus there should be a law that if a dog attacks a human being that dog should be put to sleep. I'm a dog owner of 15 years, and I love my dog, but if my dog attacks anyone he would be dead before 911 was called.
Here's my problem: Don't we have a leash law? Animal control said we don't, that as long the dog is in his yard and the owners have control over him.
Well, they didn't just come over and look at my grandson's face. Plus animal control said he thinks my grandson was in the dog's face, cause all dogs attack the hands.
Are you that stupid? Most people who are being attacked by a dog put their hands up to protect their face. In my grandson's case he was putting his shoes on when the dog attacked. He didn't have time to react. He's only 9.
I also read today where animal control wants to make it a law that all animals need to wear a tag or be microchipped.
Let's also add if a dog attacks a human being put the dog to sleep, cause the dog attacked once, and it will do it again.
My grandson got to look at his face for the first time Friday, and he cried out "I'm ugly, and everyone is going to make fun of me."
Come on Columbus, let's change the law.
I can't believe you would keep a dog in your house with your kid knowing what your dog did to another child (my grandson).

Her last line speaks volumes.
But I'm still intrigued by what I perceive as the duplicity of the majority of these incidents. The unknowns and the unanswered. Did the child provoke this? Is the dog unstable? I found out thru a mutual friend last night that there were kids in the neighborhood the owner had said were teasing the dog. I don't know if these are the kids she was talking about. Knowing the Man of the house as I do, I can state he would personally resolve the situation immediately if in any way he thought the dog at fault.
There's sides that will be taken here, but which is
Morally right? Legally? Civil?
Just the right thing to do?
I know this family and dog well. I fully respect their judgment when it involves their pets.
I can also hear that grandmother,
"I can't believe you would keep a dog in your house with your kid knowing what your dog did to another child”

1 - 20 of 89 Posts