German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in search of a good Senior dry dog food for my 10 year old male German Shepherd. For what its worth. He has bulging discs and has to take 10 mg of Prednisone every day along with 300 mg of Gabapentin for nerve pain. He's been on these medications for two years. For his first 8 years he ate Taste of The Wild and did just fine with it. But the Vet told me that I should put him on a senior food now to decrease the chances of kidney damage especially since he's on daily Prednisone. I was told to look for a food that's relatively low in protein, sodium and phosphorus. I've tried Hills Science Diet Senior, Blue Senior, Performatrin Senior and Wellness Complete Senior. And his stools are loose with each of them. I've even been giving him "Drs. Foster and Smith brand" Probiotic soft chews. And nothing so far seems to firm up his stools. I'm assuming his stomach must be upset all of the time if his stools are loose. I know that's how it would be for us humans. So does anyone have any suggestions on a good senior dry dog food that may help us out?

Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have found Pro Plan Fortiflora added to the food works great to firm up stools, I got mine at chewy.com. The best food for my girl has been Royal Canin for firm stools...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered some FortiFlora from Chewy.com as well. I always thought you needed a Vet to write you out a prescription for this stuff. That's what I was told at Petsmart. I hope the stuff Chewy.com sells is legit. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Try mixing a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin in each meal. Should clear it up in a week.
Agree ^^^ I've used it at different times with our dogs through the years.....it has a bit of fiber content....strange as it sounds it helps to firm up a soft stool....or soften a hard stool.... I'm using it now for a senior who's had anal fistulas... to soften hard stool....it works well either way and most dogs seem to like the taste.....keep in mind if you try it.....you want canned pumpkin....NOT pumpkin pie mix....may or may not help in your dogs case but it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
7,510 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts