German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 weeks old puppy, Batman, has gotten aggressive compare to when I first brought him home at 8 weeks old. He's very smart and very lovable but he keeps wanting to play very aggressive with my children (7, 6, & 2 years old) especially with my youngest. My husband and I tell him "no biting" and always gives him one of his chew toy. We've also had the kids tell him "no" and turn around. My husband tried the whole "time out" but putting him outside on his leash but for some reason our puppy is obsessed with eating DIRT, he's already thrown up a few times from eating dirt. I read somewhere that my puppy is probably at Phase 2 in teething.

I know all this is normal behavior for a 10 week old puppy. But it's starting to feel overwhelming. Until how old do they start to calm down?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I hate to break the news, but from my experience, you have a year and 42 weeks to go until Batman calms down and that is providing that you do a lot of work with him in the meantime. Handsome Batman is a typical gsd pup. The aggression is just wanting to play with your kids and that is how puppies play - all rough and tumble and mouthy. If you have puppy classes in your area - you may want to sign up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
He is not being aggressive he just wants to play he is a typical GSD puppy Argos was a big landshark when we first brought him home have you tried redirecting his attention with a toy he likes or maybe tiring him out so he is not so mouthy by playing games with him fetch etc... I would talk to your vet about the dirt thing he may just be bored so resorted to eating dirt or he may be lacking something in his diet keep an eye on it have fun and remember he is just a puppy.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Your dog is not being aggressive, it's being a normal puppy. You must always try to redirect a toy into your puppy's mouth or find something it enjoys chewing on besides your children. Both my adult daughter and I had lots of teeth bruising on our arms when our dog was a pup. I was so grateful my daughter was out of high school because if a teacher saw some of the bruising on her arms, they'd probably call CPS.

When my kids were 3 we got a kitten, and the kitten was very bitey too. I remember my daughter saying, "ouch and no" when she'd try to hold the kitten.

So your dog might calm down for a while when it's 5-7 months old and you think you have the perfect puppy, then when it's about 9-11 months old, it enters the adolescent stage, they challenge you and everything else, then they start to calm down between 2-3 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts