German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I see pitts and GSDs most in training classes. I see labs, goldens, dobes, rotties, and an occasional dachsund, poodle, yorkie, etc.

I think that unless the owners are looking to compete, labs and goldens only go to training classes if they are having problems. But many of the people who bring shepherds, dobes, rotties and pits, do it as a matter of course -- big dog with big teeth, needs to be trained. Labs and Goldens are just as big and have just as big teeth, but people do not notice as much. Maybe it is the ear carriage or the large strong mouth of the bully breeds that makes labs and goldens seem less worrysome.

But really, for a bird dog to become aggressive, that is actually worse than a dog bred for guarding or fighting. Bird dogs are not bred for aggressive tendencies at all, and when that crops up, it has to make you step back and say, what is going on?

My brother has two sheps and a Golden. The Golden is kind of hyper. They do not do anything with it, like hunt or anything. But it is still a very nice dog.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
My uncle has it set in his head that Dalmatians hate kids. Yet, all the ones I have met loved kids, were with kids etc. There is one at my shelter right now that super sweet. And he also thinks all Pits are bad. He clearly isn't all that educated in the dog world, but I can't argue with stupid.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Lately I've been seeing a ton of gsd's in my neighborhood. Unfortunately its the same ones that bark at us when were walking because they never get walked. They are just permanent yard ornaments. My husnband and I always say that if we didn't love gsd's then we'd probably have a golden.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I had a golden/border x and she was so very boring compared to the GSD's! Not her fault, just the way she was...I don't think I could ever have a golden again.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My Golden was either from a BYB or a Field/hunting kennel (she was a stray so we don't know for sure) and she was the most tolerant non-aggressive dog I've ever met. Even when attacked or bitten by other dogs, which happened at least 3-4 times I can think of, she never fought back. She would tolerate a person doing anything to her. She was also a great dog in general, very smart, a quick learner and did many different sports and activities. The reason I said she could be a BYB or Field Golden is she did not match the breed standard, but she did look similar to the field line Goldens except that she was not as high-activity level as they generally are and she was over the standard in height while the field lines tend to be small. So she could have been from field lines, "pet" (BYB) lines or possibly a BYB bred dog from field lines.

I've known many many Goldens since I owned one and was a member of several Golden email lists and forums, as well as going to lots of Golden events and being involved in Golden rescue. Out of all those Goldens the vast majority had good temperaments and no aggression issues. I can only think of 2 exceptions, one dog aggressive dog and a Golden who bit me (he was not innately aggressive, it was a freak occurrence.)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Where I live, this list seems pretty accurate from years ago. Now it seems like everyone has a different kind of dog around here. Shepherds, Mastiffs, St Bernards, Pittbulls, Labs, Poodles, Terriers, Beagles, Retrievers, Dachshunds, just a big mix of everything.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Lately I've been seeing a ton of gsd's in my neighborhood. Unfortunately its the same ones that bark at us when were walking because they never get walked. They are just permanent yard ornaments. My husnband and I always say that if we didn't love gsd's then we'd probably have a golden.
My GSD barks at dogs who walk past, no matter how much exercise/walking she gets.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've very rarely seen GSDs where I live... actually, I think I've only ever seen 5 the ENTIRE time. One lived across the street from me, and the other four were all being walked together by two guys in downtown CF a few years ago. Mostly what I see are labs, labs, and more labs. And a lot of goldens live in this subdivision, and some boxers. My obedience classes are almost always all labs and then Rem and I, lol. We're like... the black sheep (herders) in the group, lol...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
German shepherds have been at number three for many years (at least 10 and probably more) so they have now moved up. And you may not see them out walking in your neighborhood but if you go onto petfinder for your general area I guarantee that you will see plenty...in shelters. :mad:

I also have to say that there are quite a few gsds in my neighborhood but I've only ever caught a glimpse of them jumping up to the tops of their fences. They are never walked.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
German shepherds have been at number three for many years (at least 10 and probably more) so they have now moved up. And you may not see them out walking in your neighborhood but if you go onto petfinder for your general area I guarantee that you will see plenty...in shelters. :mad:

I also have to say that there are quite a few gsds in my neighborhood but I've only ever caught a glimpse of them jumping up to the tops of their fences. They are never walked.
That is so true. Look at the Rescue section here and see how many are in shelters and GS rescues - and this is a tiny fraction of the total out there. I cringe when I see the GSD so high on the list - I'd like to see to see it at #100, not #2.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
German shepherds have been at number three for many years (at least 10 and probably more) so they have now moved up.
According to AKC's website, they were #2 last year as well. They seem to move between #4, #3 and #2. There is not a great difference in being #2 vs. #3. The breed I am involved with breeding has ranged from #108 to #120 over the past tend years. That is a natural variation in the numbers born every year because obviously, it's not a very popular breed.

GSDs have been one of the most popular breeds for many, many years and I doubt that popularity is going to change much about the breed at this point. There are already a lot of splits in the breed and have been for years. They are already easily available for anyone who wants one and have been for years. There will be breeders breeding quality dogs vs. breeders who are not and that is the same in any breed,m regardless of popularity.

AKC Dog Registration Statistics

That is so true. Look at the Rescue section here and see how many are in shelters and GS rescues - and this is a tiny fraction of the total out there. I cringe when I see the GSD so high on the list - I'd like to see to see it at #100, not #2.
I don't really see that happening. That said, if GSDs suddenly fell that far on the list, it would very likely be an extremely bad thing for them. It would indicate that something drastically reduced the size of their gene pool and you could expect to see very widespread health issues as a result.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
As opposed to the widespread health issues now? Or it would indicate that every Tom, **** and Harry with two pretty dogs wasn't putting them together and offering them for sale in their local newspaper.

I see the dog registration stats don't tell how many dogs were registered annually? Does anyone have that number.

Remember this is only for AKC. Then there are the CKC (not Canadian) and the total mill registries. Then the unregistered. Add it up. I think you could have far fewer GSDs being bred without damaging the gene pool at all.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts