German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The American Kennel Club has released it's list of the 10 most popular dogs in America...
1. Labrador Retriever
2. German Shepherd
3. Yorkshire Terrier
4.Beagle
5. Golden Retriever
6.Bulldog
7. Boxer
8. Dachshund
9.Poodle
10 Shih Tzu

Any of these surprise you? I would have thought the Golden Retriever would have been the most popular. I never would have thought the GSD would be number 2 most popular.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so either. It's funny how the 'trends' in dogs goes in cycles. For years it was pretty unusual to see a gsd now I see more and more of them. In TX, I think chihuahuas are as common as fire ants!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think that it's kind of surprising that shih-tzu is so far down the list. Almost everyone I know owns one of those things....

And I'm amazed beagles are so far up on the list. I never really see them around. I love beagles, though. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
you know I'm not surprised that Golden Retrievers are so far down the list, most of them are so poorly bred that they're aggressive now :( I still want one though. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember someday

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I'm really surprised Pitt Bulls aren't on the list. I see more of them than anything else combined. Especially in shelters and on Craigslist. :(
Me too! They are EVERYWHERE in my neighborhood, everyone has one or they have an English Bulldog.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Neighbor across the street has a Yorkie and Shih Tzu, down the street, 2 poodles. I am not happy to see GSD as number 2 because this will encourage BYBs and puppy mills to add defective and unhappy ones to the population.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I wouldn't have thought so either. It's funny how the 'trends' in dogs goes in cycles. For years it was pretty unusual to see a gsd now I see more and more of them. In TX, I think chihuahuas are as common as fire ants!
ugh i can't stand chihuahuas all the ones I've ever met were mean and nasty.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I see a lot of pit bulls as well, but I'm wondering what they base the popularity on. Is it registrations? If so, that would explain why pits may not be on the mix.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Neighbor across the street has a Yorkie and Shih Tzu, down the street, 2 poodles. I am not happy to see GSD as number 2 because this will encourage BYBs and puppy mills to add defective and unhappy ones to the population.
I am not happy either.

People will see that on the AKC site and then they will all want a GSD. They will not come here to ask questions, they will see GSD puppies in the newspaper and they will buy from BYB's. They wont know how to train it or care for it properly and they will end up with an out of control, aggressive and poorly bred GSD. Then it will most likely end up hurting someone or it will end up at the shelter. :(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm really surprised Pitt Bulls aren't on the list. I see more of them than anything else combined. Especially in shelters and on Craigslist. :(
The list posted is of AKC registered breeds ... the APBT isn't a breed registerable by AKC (they recognize the AmStaff though).

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I see a lot of pit bulls as well, but I'm wondering what they base the popularity on. Is it registrations? If so, that would explain why pits may not be on the mix.
Good point, I don't think anyone is walking through the 'HOOD' counting dogs and their breeds.
:eek:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I never see people with Yorkies, Shih Tzu's or Poodles.

I only know 4 Beagles.
I know tons of people with Yorkies and Poodles, but to be fair, almost all are exclusively inside dogs. The owners make comments about the cleanliness of my dog since we're always outside regardless of rain, mud, snow, etc. While their dogs go to the bathroom on a pad on the kitchen floor...thats clean?...I don't get it.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I know tons of people with Yorkies and Poodles, but to be fair, almost all are exclusively inside dogs. The owners make comments about the cleanliness of my dog since we're always outside regardless of rain, mud, snow, etc. While their dogs go to the bathroom on a pad on the kitchen floor...thats clean?...I don't get it.
Oh, I see, so they are pottying inside and not outside. No wonder I never see any! :crazy:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts