German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 10 month old female GSD, we named "Shadow". We got her at 5 months and decided to wait until after her first heat cycle to have her fixed. Well, she was 10 months old yesterday and no sign of her coming into heat. I don't think we missed it, especially since Shadow is around 80lbs and we thought for sure we would have a mess on our hands when she came into heat.

Did we miss it or will she be coming into heat soon?

·
Registered
885 Posts
It can be up to 18 months, depends on the female. My Shepherd went into heat the first time at 10 months, my Leonberger was 12 months and my Pom was 14 months, so individual dog dependant.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nara's first heat started coming at 11 months, and Paw Paw (our in tact Husky) let us know it was coming. We were waiting to spay her right before her first heat so she could grow as large and normal as naturally possible before spaying her. Thanks to Paw Paw, we knew when to get it done and Nara has been healthy and happy ever since!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess 10 months is the magic age. Shadow came into heat last night. Had to run out for doggie panties and doggie maxi-pads!! Oh joy!! LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts