German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month old is always hungry all the time!! He was never so food driven before but for some reason things have changed. Due to his sensitive stomach we're feeding him Royal Canin GSD Puppy food. While the bag recommends 5 3/4 cups per day we've upped it to 8 cups a day based on his appetite!!

Still, he will go outside and eat dirt and grass :confused: He's on the slim side but not EPI slim. His poos are a bit soft but not the greasy EPI typical type as well so we don't think that it's EPI.

Is this normal for a pup his age? :help:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I forgot to add that he gets fed twice a day. He was 73lbs when he was last weighed about a month ago.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
8 cups a day? That is extreme. I say it is not normal, but I don't feed RC or any kibble for that matter...how many times does he poop and does it look like he's absorbing his food or just passing it? Do you add digestive enzymes or probiotics/ any supplements to his diet? If he's eating dirt/grass I'd say this kibble isn't a good mesh for him.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For my well being if he were mine, I'd take a stool sample in to be checked. I had a shepherd who had a hard time on Royal Canin GSD Puppy food.

·
Registered
445 Posts
.how many times does he poop and does it look like he's absorbing his food or just passing it? .
Okay, I guess I haven't ever noticed what the difference between absorbed poop and non absorbed poop looks like. How can you tell when they are just passing the kibble?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
If the poo is big, that means he's passing lotsa filler. Smaller means absorbed nutrition. Rawfed GSD's poo is about the size of a yorkies...no waste.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Humz, that's interesting! Apollos is always a fair amount and Riley's poo is always round medium sized chunks and it's dark green. Riley always poops less than Apollo.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My 10 month old is always hungry all the time!! He was never so food driven before but for some reason things have changed. Due to his sensitive stomach we're feeding him Royal Canin GSD Puppy food. While the bag recommends 5 3/4 cups per day we've upped it to 8 cups a day based on his appetite!!

Still, he will go outside and eat dirt and grass :confused: He's on the slim side but not EPI slim. His poos are a bit soft but not the greasy EPI typical type as well so we don't think that it's EPI.

Is this normal for a pup his age? :help:
was he losing weight on the 5 cups a day? adding more food may just be producing more waste. if he wasnt losing weight on the 5 cups, then he doesnt need more food. many of our dogs "act" hungry all the time. im sure my gsd would eat 8 cups a day if i let her.

on a side note, why is Royal Canin gsd puppy good for sensitive stomach? maybe the RC is being poorly utilized. its a mid to low grade food at best.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
My foster is convinced I am starving her, but I'm feeding her the amount she needs to maintain her lean body weight. If it were up to her, she would be a sausage and keep eating until she exploded.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
You can NOT go by wether or not the dog "acts hungry". It is up to YOU to decide how much they need based on their condition. My dog would eat 8 cups a day if I let her. BUT she only GETS 2 2/3 cups a day because that is the amount she needs to stay at the proper weight for her build and size.

Over feeding is the #1 cause of "soft poops".

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi folks,

Sam poops twice a day. For the most part I wouldn't say that it is large quantity. His poop is still a bit soft but this is better than how he has done on other foods (California Natural, Orijen, and Natural Balance) but not as good as when he was on Hill's ID (vet recommended, expensive, and not good quality).

Our goal is/was to get him on a food that will give him normal stools. So about a month ago he was transitioned from Hill's to Royal Canin and I would say that it was since then that he's been acting more hungry than ever! With the Hill's he was fine on 6 cups a day. The reason why we increased it to 8 cups is because his apparent appetite is getting the better of him.

Before we never had any issues with him. Great pup, stays out of trouble. But now if we let him in the yard he's digging up dirt and grass and eating it. On walks he's more likely to pick stuff up as well. He really does seem more hungry than ever before!

Based on all the responses so far this doesn't appear normal so we are going to try to transition him over to Eukanuba for GSD's. I know it's far from the best quality of food but our breeder, who has bred GSD's for over a decade and are also vets, recommends this as this is what they feed their dogs. If it gives him firm stools we can live with it.

Oh yeah, I weighed him last night and he's still 73lbs as he was a month ago. I would have liked to see him put on a pound or two since then though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
was he losing weight on the 5 cups a day? adding more food may just be producing more waste. if he wasnt losing weight on the 5 cups, then he doesnt need more food. many of our dogs "act" hungry all the time. im sure my gsd would eat 8 cups a day if i let her.

on a side note, why is Royal Canin gsd puppy good for sensitive stomach? maybe the RC is being poorly utilized. its a mid to low grade food at best.
He wasn't losing weight on 6 cups a day but it was a different brand of food we were feeding then (Hill's ID).

Royal Canin claims that it was original created for a GSD and to help it's sensitive stomach. Probably marketing is all it is. :confused:

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
have you tried adding some green beans to his food? I add a half can to my GSD's food if he acts hungry which isn't very often

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Hi folks,

Sam poops twice a day. For the most part I wouldn't say that it is large quantity. His poop is still a bit soft but this is better than how he has done on other foods (California Natural, Orijen, and Natural Balance) but not as good as when he was on Hill's ID (vet recommended, expensive, and not good quality).

Our goal is/was to get him on a food that will give him normal stools. So about a month ago he was transitioned from Hill's to Royal Canin and I would say that it was since then that he's been acting more hungry than ever! With the Hill's he was fine on 6 cups a day. The reason why we increased it to 8 cups is because his apparent appetite is getting the better of him.

Before we never had any issues with him. Great pup, stays out of trouble. But now if we let him in the yard he's digging up dirt and grass and eating it. On walks he's more likely to pick stuff up as well. He really does seem more hungry than ever before!

Based on all the responses so far this doesn't appear normal so we are going to try to transition him over to Eukanuba for GSD's. I know it's far from the best quality of food but our breeder, who has bred GSD's for over a decade and are also vets, recommends this as this is what they feed their dogs. If it gives him firm stools we can live with it.

Oh yeah, I weighed him last night and he's still 73lbs as he was a month ago. I would have liked to see him put on a pound or two since then though.
If the appetite is getting the best of him he is probably not getting something from the food. You have noticed a change in behavior and that is not good. Would second the check on stool to make sure no parasites. And then I would recommend feeding him chicken and rice for a few days and see if he improves the behavior.

The Eukanuba GSD should firm the stool up - the dried beet pulp helps with that.

Have you thought about RAW options? We have gone that route with a rescue who we are thinking is very sensitive - he has had 2 seizures - once after a bunch of shots and heart guard (right after rescue) and the second after eating some canned food for a few days with sodium nitrites in it. So we are making sure we understand exactly what is going in him and in the most natural state. He is doing good so far with the RAW only. We had mixed in some RAW with his routine but wasn't consistent. Now we don't feel RAW is an option - it is a must for him.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
have you tried adding some green beans to his food? I add a half can to my GSD's food if he acts hungry which isn't very often
Make sure to wash the green beans even low sodium ones....otherwise you can be adding a lot of extra salt. Fresh is best (or frozen ones).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never heard of adding green beans but may give that a try if this continues!

RJvamp - We'd love to give him RAW but it just wouldn't be convenient for us. We take him on trips a lot (day and weekend) and kibble is so much more portable not to mention the low cost.

I think we will try the Eukanuba first and if nothing improves we will get his stool checked out (they charge $65 for it at my vet!) as he hasn't shown any decrease in energy or lethargy. The only behavioural change appears to stem from hunger.

Thank you all for the feedback and help!! :eek:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Being he's a pup and eating dirt get a fecal done for worms. A dog with worms will have an increased appetite and runnier stools than normal, but not gain much weight. Dirt is one of many places worms can be picked up so it's worth a poo check:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I saw your other thread about his increased need for exercise, which could explain his need for more food; however, 8 cups is not a normal amount. You might consider having his thyroid checked when you have a fecal done to check for worms. Like I said in the other thread, Stosh is going through the same type of changes in activity level but he's only eating 4 cups of Orijen a day- at the most. If your guy checks out ok, it might be time for a different brand of food

1 - 20 of 23 Posts