German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New here. To begin, we adopted a female, 10 mo., intact gsd, named scully, from a family 3 days ago. The previous owners kept her in a crate all day and night long with what sounds like short potty and play breaks in between. They never took her on a walk EVER and rarely left the house. (She was their first pet and openly admitted they had no clue how to care for her.) They do have a 3 year old daughter that they say she was great with.

Since getting her, she is adjusting phenomenally. She is an extremely sweet girl, already very obedient and eager to please. She is playful, listens well, and is a big child loving lapdog (we have a 2 year old and a new baby). We really couldn't be happier with her behavior. We spend a lot of time with her playing, training, walking, and she is always supervised especially with the little ones.

So here's the issue- we have a half double house with a huge unfenced backyard. Our neighbor has a 2 year old female pitbull mix. They never have this dog on a leash (as required in Pa). We talked to them about scully before we got her. They assured us they would make sure we were not outside when they let their dog out and vice versa. Scully was out today and the neighbor came out without his dog. She was stand offish and barked but we assured her he was ok and she relaxed. Smelled him and gave plenty of kisses. then some hours later we had scully out *always on a leash on our side of the property. Their pit came running out their door straight for scully barking. Luckily my husband had scully and not me because she did not like this surprise encounter one bit!! My husband held scully tight while trying to push the pit back. The owner came out and put the pit on a leash, pulled her back to his side then approached scully with her again. Scully was in full blown attack mode at this point. Teeth glaring, attack stance and nonstop aggressive barking. My husband held her close well telling the neighbor enough was enough. The pit retreated and scully definitely proved dominant. Thankfully no contact between them was made.

Afterwards scully returned to her sweet self, enjoyed some petting and took a long nap in her bed.

I spoke to neighbor and told him what happened was not ok. He insisted they were playing and i didn't understand dogs. THEY WERE NOT PLAYING scully would have had the pit by the neck in the blink of an eye.

How do i handle future encounters with other dogs and this pit especially?
Something tells me due to the nature of this surprise 'attack' on scully theres no chance for the 2 of them being friendly in the future.

This is the first face to face encounter my poor girl has had with another dog.
Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Many dogs would not be happy having a dog charge them on their own property. Dogs also follow our lead more then we know so if we get stress and tense so do they. It’s always best to relax and just continue walking if you are out and about and your dog is on lead if a dog off leash comes over. Do you know any other people with well behaved social dogs you can go on a walk with after your dog settles into her new home and gets connected with her new family. I would get a fence and I can not stress that enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes both our parents have dogs that we plan on introducing scully to in the future. It was just a terrible situation that they caused . I dont fault her for behaving how she did. Wed love to get a fence but we rent and will not be here for more than 2 years.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I would be out today looking for a new place to live. I can't see the two dogs getting along easily, ever. And even if you put up a fence, the racket from the 2 dogs harassing each other would be extremely annoying. My previous gsd could
scale a 6 ft. privacy fence with no problem. Honestly I think you need to move, ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
7,278 Posts
Calm down:)I honestly believe this encounter is not as dire as it seems.Dogs and humans were both startled and defensive.The neighbor's dog perceived an unknown intruder dog. "Who are you and why are you in my yard?!" Perfectly normal.We have no fencing either and my dogs do the same whenever one of the neighbor's dogs wander over for a visit.After a few seconds of posturing,growling,sniffing,they all chill.They spend some time snuffling around the yard together and I call mine inside.The visitor heads home shortly and all is well.If I were to rush out there and interfere I'm certain there would be a brawl.
The reason I know this is because I leash them after dark(coyotes,critters) and have been surprised by a neighbor's dog appearing.My dogs become VERY defensive(frustrated?) if they can't go through the usual greeting ritual,so we either keep a good distance away or sometimes just go back inside for a few minutes.This is just territorial \resource guarding behavior.Normal and almost always easily managed.They all get on fine with other dogs when we're out and about.
Here's something to try: If your neighbor's dog is normally good with other dogs try taking them for a walk together.They don't need to greet the first walk,just be acclimated to each other's presence on neutral ground.Next walk them around the yard together at a comfortable distance.Allow them to greet only if they are totally chill with soft eyes and relaxed posture.This goes for the humans too:)Over time it's very likely that they will share the yard peacefully.
If you and your neighbor don't have the time or inclination you could also just work out a system between you so you'll never meet up with their dog ever.

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
In addition to Dogma's tips I would install a field fence with T posts and block the view with a reed screen that you can tie onto it. If you are renting you can take it with you. The fenced area doesn't have to be large. We only use ours for potty trips.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I'm definitely with @dogma13 on this one! I can't imagine your neighbor's dog doing anything other than she did given the introduction she had with your new pup. And your pup's reaction was to be expected, given the circumstances too. Dogs are territorial, and they pick up on your emotions as well. So when the neighbor's dog came running out to investigate the "intruder" you likely tensed up, and your dog saw that and reacted accordingly.

If your neighbor's dog is typically good with other dogs, taking them both out for a walk on-leash away from your house would be a good way to get them acclimated to one another. Also, allowing them time to get to know each other off-leash on neutral ground, if you have access to a spot where that could happen, would help.

Talk to your neighbor. The situation is likely fixable if you address it now. If you let it go, given what's already happened, it could get worse pretty quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts