German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they the same dosages, just with different labels? Or does the 3 yr have a higher dosage?

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Same. What makes it one year vs. 3 years is the law.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Some clinics (e.g., some corporate chains) only do annual boosters and won't do three-year vaccines, even in places that allow it. However, the AAHA guidelines - which are the well researched, evidence-based, gold standard protocol followed by clinics that make vax decisions based on science (not money) - specifies that the FIRST dose of rabies vaccine should be boostered after ONE year, and then subsequently boostered every THREE year thereafter:
https://www.aaha.org/guidelines/canine_vaccination_guidelines/rabies_vaccination.aspx

The 1-year and 3-year vaccines are labeled differently. Some states require a vaccine that's labeled one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
The 1 year and 3 year vaccines are identical, only difference is the labeling. The 3 year is not a higher dose or a different product in any way except marketing.

I wonder if a Chihuahua gets the same dose (cc-s) as large dogs. Always forget to ask the vet.
Wolfydog, yes a 3 lb teacup chihuahua gets the same dose of vaccine as an adult great dane. Even though this may defy common sense to some, as virtually all other veterinary pharmaceuticals are prescribed by body weight, vets cannot lower their dose for small dogs without risking their veterinary license.

Here’s an article with more detail.
https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2011/july/smaller_dog_smaller_vaccine-11432

·
Registered
9,919 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
From what I remember from working at UPenn Vet - the pup gets the initial dose and then a 1 year booster - then they feel that the vaccine/system is set for 3 years....the vaccine is virtually the same....same vaccine is used for horses, cows, cats, dogs and captive wildlife.... Never thought the dose made sense but I am not a scientist or microbiologist to understand how....a horse gets the same vaccine in the same strength as your domestic cat.

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts