German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 yr-old pup has been throwing up her food since yesterday morning. Initially I thought it was because we got visitors a bit after she ate and that got her in super playful mode.
I fed her a bit earlier last night and I made sure she wasn't playing or anything and this morning as I was about to feed the dogs, I just found that she had vomited the food again.

She has pooped and she is in a very good mood and happy, but I don't know what could be causing this.
I'm guessing that it might be the change of food, I'm transitioning from Blue Buffalo to Orijen, and she had been doing good the first couple of days, firm stools and everything. But I think this has to do with me adding a bit more of teh Orijen food to the mix. I started adding a bit less than 1/4 cup for the fist 2 days, then added a bit more but no more than 1/2 a cup.

What should I do? Should I go back to 1/4 cup or less Orijen? Give her a bit of pumpkin?

Please help :(

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Molly did the same thing when we transitionned her from Wellness to origin it was pretty stressful. We reduced the amount of Origin and slowed down the transition and it worked. Keep a close eye on your pup and if it doesn't get better bring her in to the vet. Now we are in the process of switching to Raw and it going great

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Miss Molly May! I feel a bit relieved to know it does happen when switching to Orijen. I worry too much about things like these, you know the usual "OMG what if she has <insert sickness here>!!!!?!?!?! Or <insert another> !?!??!" (yeah, I'm a bit paranoid).
Yeah, I'll reduce the amount of Orijen and see how she does today. If it happens again, I'll take her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Smithie, she doesn't eat fast, she takes her sweet time. But before I started adding Orijen she walked away from her bowl at least 2 times and came back after a few minutes to continue eating. Now she doesn't walk away and only walks away after she finishes or when she's full and leaves a few kibbles in the bowl.
Yesterday morning she threw up within an hour after eating, but last night she threw up after a few hours.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I reduced the amount of Orijen to 1/4 cup with 1 3/4 BB, and now she's doing great!

No more vomiting her food, her stools continue being firm, she's happy and I'm happy. I just need to do the transition more slowly.

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts