German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog hates kids. the hair on the back of his neck stand up and he barks like crazy. is this bad nerves/breeding or is it lack of socialization? is it a temperment issue? thanks

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
whats the history on your dog?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think you need to be more specific if you want advice.
Where did you get the dog from, at what age, how was it socialized and do you have kids at home. Did you try to introduce the dog to kids in a controlled way? Do you take the dog to training or obedience classes and what activities you perform with it? How does it react to unfamiliar grown ups? These are just initial questions to be able to understand the situation.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
It could be aggression or excitement. Hackles go up in either situation. More info is needed.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he hasnt been raised around kids. we own a laundry mat and up to 6 months of age he sat behind a glass door and when he saw kids, his hair would stand up and he would bark and try to get to them (granted some of the kids were teasing him on the other side of the door). yesterday he was sitting in the car with the window rolled down and a kid waved at him and he nearly jumped out of the car barking his deep bark. if kids dont look at him then hes fine. they can walk by and he'll just look. but if they look then he goes crazy. i feel like i've let him down by not socializing him enough when he was little. in general do german shepherds very tolerable of kids or no?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's your answer. socializing and training. your problems
with your dog isn't breed specific it's how one takes care
of their dog specific.

he hasnt been raised around kids. we own a laundry mat and up to 6 months of age he sat behind a glass door and when he saw kids, his hair would stand up and he would bark and try to get to them (granted some of the kids were teasing him on the other side of the door). yesterday he was sitting in the car with the window rolled down and a kid waved at him and he nearly jumped out of the car barking his deep bark. if kids dont look at him then hes fine. they can walk by and he'll just look. but if they look then he goes crazy.

>>>>> i feel like i've let him down by not socializing him enough when he was little. in general do german shepherds very tolerable of kids
or no?<<<<

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
334 Posts
You needed to socialize him properly when he was young it may be very hard to correct and trust him near children it could just be nerves but a GSD is a big dog that can cause a lot of harm I would suggest getting a professional trainer come into help you and slowly introduce him to dog wise kids that are a little older at first preferably within your own family because if something does happen it would be much worse if it was a strangers child.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts