German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a veterinarian. He is a friend of the family. I don't particularly like him as a vet, but I used him for puppy vaccines when Weegee needed them. So this year, when the time came, I called him to have Weegee's vaccinations done again. I told him that Weegee needed the rabies booster and he proceeded to tell me that he didn't need it because his vaccine is good for 3 years.

Annoyed, I took Weegee to our vet and asked them. They told me that I was right and he needed the booster, which would be good for 3 years. I asked them if the dosage was different for these vaccines. I am concerned because I want to know if the "friend" vet potentially harmed my dog. Either way, I wont be using him anymore. If I would have listened to him, we would be in huge trouble if Weegee bit someone. Anyway, most of what I find online says the vaccines are the same, but occasionally I find something that says they are essentially the same. Does anyone have any further input?

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
Both vets could be correct. It is exactly the same vaccine.

When you got the first rabies shot, you should have been given a certificate. What does that document say?

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Someone argued with me the other day that they are different vaccines. I deferred to that person because some manufacturers may be making a 1 yr with different dosages. Best to check which one you've gotten and then research the manufacturer. I was under the assumption that they are identical.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
They are the same vaccine but the way it has always been given for us is
Puppy at 16 weeks, one year later, then every three years.
State laws define the interval.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
1 yr and 3 yr rabies vaccines ARE different, are labeled different. If it is a 3 year vaccine or a 1 year vaccine (they use 1 yr rabies vaccines in cats because less risk of vaccine induced sarcoma). But there is no "dose", each vaccine comes in it's own container, you give the entire vaccine.

How old is your dog? They should have first rabies vaccine at 16 weeks, and again at 1 yr of age. After that, you can go every 3 years if it is a 3 year vaccine. Now if the clinic only carries 3 year vaccines it would of been given at 16 weeks of age, which is ok but you still need to booster at a year old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
yes, and now they say give it to the cat in the leg, just in case of sarcoma/ cut off the leg. You can't cut off the shoulder area where it use to be injected. Real safe vaccine

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
Per my vet, they are the same vaccine.

And also per my vet, the dead Fort Dodge vaccine was the one responsible for the cancer. It was caused by the inflammatory process that the vaccine causes to produce the immune response and had nothing to do with the 1 yr vs the 3yr. We discussed this in length a couple months ago when my cat was in for a rabies shot. The MLV does not seem to cause the cancer.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
They are not the same. Let me restate, they are basically the same but their is minor differences in the way they are compounded, largely in the adjuvant which is the ingredient that causes the immune response.

A rabies vx labeled for 1 year use would NOT hold up in the court of law if say, you pet bit someone 2 years post vaccination.

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
Feel free to call my vet and take that up with him.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
How about I pull up the vaccine information when I go into work in 30 minutes? Or ask my own vets I work with?

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
In my clinic, for dogs, they are the EXACT same vaccine. Exact same. It is labeled as both a one year and three year.

We only give the cats a 1 year vaccine. But we use a special non adjuvanted feline rabies. Unless the owners ask for a three year vaccine. Then we use the One we use for dogs. It's labeled for cats as well.

But again. In dogs there is ZERO difference in the vaccine as it us given. The duration if legal immunity is based up the vaccine schedule you pet has undergone and the laws in your state. For most states, the first rabies vaccine is given between 14-20 weeks. That vaccine is good for one year. It is boosted, a year later, and is then good for three years.

I am sure there are vaccine companies that make a rabies vaccine for dogs that are labeled for one year only. I don't know of any, but I bet they exist.

Again, cats are a whole different story

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
There is a one year vaccine but the label directions for Imrab3, the only vaccine I can ever remember being given is:

http://imrab.us.merial.com/imrab/PDF/IMRAB-3.pdf

"DOSAGE: Aseptically inject 1 mL (1 dose) subcutaneously or intramuscularly into
healthy cats or dogs; 2 mL into healthy sheep, cattle, and horses. Inject 1 mL
subcutaneously into healthy ferrets. Revaccinate ferrets, cattle, and horses
annually; cats, dogs, and sheep 1 year after first vaccination, then every 3 years. "

That is a direct copy and paste from the package insert.
The MSDS appears to be the same for both products.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
But is the make up of the injection the same as the labeled 3 yr? I bet it is....it is labeled for state regulations probably

·
Registered
504 Posts
We use Imrab3 same vaccine on both dogs and cats, 1 and 3 yr. They are all pulled from the same tray. There is a 1 yr non adjuvant vaccine but not everyone uses it. We don't see vaccine asso. sarcomas very often at all in cats but I vaccinate all cats in the rear legs to be safe. Hopefully that settles this ridiculous argument since if I don't know what I'm talking about well then who does? Lol

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. The one year vaccine, is labeled that way because that is how far out the company tested it. If they chose to test it out to three years, they could change their label. I guess. Like I said I have never seen a separate 1 year only rabies vaccine. But they exist.

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
My vet still uses the dead vaccine (Fort Dodge?) for cats. He said he's only ever seen 5-6 in the years he's been practicing. And I have to wonder how many of those cats are being vaccinated year after year? Cracker had one when he was 1 yr and I took him in this year at 8 yr. He's a house cat so his chances of even being exposed are slim to nothing.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The clinic I work at uses Pfizer vaccines. We have separate products for one year (Defensor 1) and three year (Defensor 3) rabies, as well as a separate feline rabies vaccine and a ferret combo from another company which I do not remember off the top of my head.

Here's the Pfizer PDF for your perusal: https://online.zoetis.com/US/EN/Documents/Species%20Landing%20Page%20pdf/Dog/CANINE_VACCINES.pdf

Every vet is different, but any vet that is willing to vaccinate on a three year schedule with a product that is specifically labeled for ONE YEAR of protection is blatantly lying to their customer because in the event of a bite case it will not protect the animal from quarantine or euthanasia in a court of law. Whether Pfizer puts 'more' in their Defensor 3 vaccine I do not know; they all draw up at ~1cc. But unless that product is labeled for 3 year that vet is making a dangerous business decision. I'd be furious if I paid for and received a 3 year vaccine (we charge more at our clinic), got into a court battle with bite implications, and ended up having to watch my pet euthanized and have its brain sent off for verification because my vet told me his 1 year was 'the same'.

·
Registered
32,421 Posts
Who said anything about a vet fraudulently portraying the rabies vaccine as a 3 yr when it was labeled a one yr?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts