German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My female german shepherd Nova has always been fairly large for her age but very slender. At 9 months she weight a little over 80 pounds. But maintained a very skinny frame and hips. She is now 13 months old and has actually lost a little weight. Her waist is slim and can see her ribs, but feels like alot of skin to grow into. I feed her 5 cups of victor grain free dog food a day plus treats and carrots. I used to think she was growing to fast but now am worried shes too skinny? Should i feed her more? 5+ cups seems like a good amount and don't want her to get fat. Do they usually lose weight at this age? We live in montana and hike often, she gets an average amount of exercise. Just not sure if I'm starving her or she's begging for a reason. Dont mind those adorable floppy ears. They go up and down. Her momma had a floppy one

Thanks!
Kayla

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,237 Posts
She looks OK to me... although I prefer an athletically lean dog, skinny (I honestly wouldn’t even call her skinny) 1yr olds rarely bother me. That said, losing weight is a concern (how much are we talking??).

I would not increase her food ration. I would have her cleared medically, then explore diets that are higher in protein/fats/calories. My boys are quite a bit smaller than your girl, but I’ve always thought of 3 cups as the perfect amount.... so I aim for foods that can meet their needs within that amount.

Very pretty dog btw. I love her coloring!

·
Registered
855 Posts
If your dog is large to begin with, keeping them lean is the best possible thing for them. My girl is a bit bigger than average, and I often get comments on how she's too skinny from the well-to-do pet owner. Realistically, she's a great weight. Your dog's waist line looks very similar to mine, and she's a healthy weight for her size. I agree with Fodder about everything else - if losing weight is rapid or immediate with no known cause (no increase in exercise or activity/reduction in eating), then I would have her checked out medically and then consider a higher caloric content food.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I don't want to alarm you but it was at about that age that my previous pup was diagnosed with EPI when he lost 1/3 of his weight. He went from 80lbs to 55lbs in a short period of time. (Eventually he was put on life long medication that got him up to a lean 98lbs.) So we need more info from you than simply she is losing weight. How much? 5 to 10 lbs? Or much more? I'm not saying it could be EPI, but you need to talk to your vet. Significant weight loss is of concern. Minor 5 to 10 lbs, not so much but you should still monitor it. Either way, you should probably let your vet know. Remember, we're not vets here, and we don't know the whole story. All we can do is make guesses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts